Galaxy S2 stopped working after update to ICS :(

snow

Disciple
Hi All .

Post release of ICS update worldwide , i waited for samsung to release same for india .

Post same i got a update notification on my S2 for upgrade in about June .

I upgraded the my phone with Firmware over the Air upgrade .
The phone worked well for a day , but when i tried to restart it did not start.

There was an option of restart when trying to shutdown the phone .
I selected same , phone display went blank with only buttons active .

Now phone wont start .

Samsung service center says motherboard has gone and will have to replace 10k ( only 1 month warranty ) .

My phone was out of warranty when i updated .

Still i think Samsung team must have informed about issues or warning about motherboard getting damaged .

Trying for months for team to respond properly .

Thinking of raising a complaint with Consumer court ... Any idea about same .......

as i said that there was new option called restart in menu along with shutdown button , out of curiosity clicked same .
phone just went blank after that with only buttons glowing... after more than half an hour removed the battery as nothing was happening .

Phone did not start after that .

I don't think there is Any relation between ics and your phone motherboard stopped working, I d use s2 in past and successfully updated to ics,phone still working...
Sometime you have to accept that thing like it happen....

Since your phone is anyways out of warranty, I suggest you look for help with the phone software on XDA first. If its 100% a hardware failure then I suggest you go to a good mobile repair shop and ask for an estimate.

If you have extra time on your hands you could also consider buying an *exact* replacement motherboard from ebay.com and then asking a local repair shop to install it for you. That could minimize the cost.

Did you try to boot into recovery mode?

If not then press and hold the Volume up button, the Home button and the Power button at the same time and keep them pressed for a while (say 10 seconds).
Phone should be turned off before doing this so just remove the battery once, reinsert and do the above.

Or you can try the download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.

Did you try to boot into recovery mode?

If not then press and hold the Volume up button, the Home button and the Power button at the same time and keep them pressed for a while (say 10 seconds).
Phone should be turned off before doing this so just remove the battery once, reinsert and do the above.

Or you can try the download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.

Yeah had tried doing that before going to samsung service center :(

Didnt work

Strangely a friend of mine updated his new i9100G with ICS via KiesAir and it stopped working in 2 days. Upon taking it to the service centre, he was told to replace the motherboard. Had warranty so free replacement.
How does firmware updating screw up a motherboard?

yes, XDA is full of threads like that, AFAIK it has something to do with the company's official ICS Kernel, Actually SGS2 has a batch of Faulty Flash (Internal eMMC) so the ICS kernel somehow borks it (not all device face this problem).

Strangely a friend of mine updated his new i9100G with ICS via KiesAir and it stopped working in 2 days. Upon taking it to the service centre, he was told to replace the motherboard. Had warranty so free replacement.
How does firmware updating screw up a motherboard?
I dont know about the international S2 models, but at least the American version of S2 has the horrible emmc brick bug (similar to what we Note users have to endure). The official ICS kernel is at fault, and a wipe results in a superbrick.

Did you try to root the phone after the update, as the usual method through CWM results in a superbrick too, on the faulty kernel.

In any case are you able to go into download mode (I guess not, as the service center would have tried that).

However in the event if you are able to, than try flashing official GB ROM.
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-android-4-0-4-ics-xwlpm-firmware-102576/

Before you do make sure, you have downloaded the correct stock ROM for your phone.

Also read through:
[GUIDE] Fix an unflashable or soft bricked GSII (I9100G/M/P/T VERSION INCLUDED) - xda-developers

I dont know about the international S2 models, but at least the American version of S2 has the horrible emmc brick bug (similar to what we Note users have to endure). The official ICS kernel is at fault, and a wipe results in a superbrick.

Did you try to root the phone after the update, as the usual method through CWM results in a superbrick too, on the faulty kernel.

In any case are you able to go into download mode (I guess not, as the service center would have tried that).

However in the event if you are able to, than try flashing official GB ROM.
How to flash Android 4.0.4 build XWLPM on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100

Before you do make sure, you have downloaded the correct stock ROM for your phone.

Also read through:
[GUIDE] Fix an unflashable or soft bricked GSII (I9100G/M/P/T VERSION INCLUDED) - xda-developers

Nope i just restarted the phone after a day or so ..

Back