Graphic Cards Game hangs when starting(8600GT)

Hi guys,

I have got a weird problem. I have a 8600GT which works perfectly on desktop(like playing videos etc) or everything except games. Even when i start the game it goes to the main menu well but the screen freezes after that. IDK if it is my GPU problem or it's driver problem. I tried uninstalling the drivers etc but still the same problem. Temp is around 80-85 when gaming otherwise its 65-70 and fan is working too. Can someone plz guide me?

Request you to post system specs.. Download furmark and check for stability... 80-85 temps are quite high for 8600gt... I had one few years ago, on load it used to get upto 75

what type of game are you talking about, because if are running some heavy game, then this problem is obvious as 8600 is not a high-end gfx card

When you say otherwise, i mean you are mentioning the temps when idle. Well in that case, its too high. 8600GTs should idle between 45-50 deg on that stock cooler and fan, with load temps at around 85 maximum. Just to make sure that aspect is covered take out your card and clean it thoroughly. Apply a fresh coat of TIM and then see what sort of temps you are getting.

CA50 said:
what type of game are you talking about, because if are running some heavy game, then this problem is obvious as 8600 is not a high-end gfx card
But that doesnt meant it should freeze the PC.

Guys thank u for answers, I found out that my gpu is faulty as it's not working on any other pc too and my backup 8400GS is working without any problem. So faulty 8600 GT is unable to take load of any game even aoe3. When I run furtest then sometimes it freezes or sometimes it gives me error that opengl driver is not compatible or etc. Sometimes PC boot with teared screen and in desktop it gives me 10-12 strips like a rainbow. And when I uninstall driver and re-install it then it works fine but not in games. BTW 65C in idle is normal here due to a very hot weather.

But I still donot understand why a gpu is working fine with windows 7 aero and even when playing 2-3 HD videos together via Media Players to put stress on the GPU(70% stress) but stops when i do any game activities. :S Can anyone help on this? Are there any drivers conflicts between 8400GS and 8600GT?

PC boots with teared screen, then 90% GPU problem... But as you say that in furmark and games pc freezes or gives some errors, I want details of your ram and PSU

Back