Games For Windows Live shutting down on July 1st 2014

jc36lect3r

Skilled
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1komzz/games_for_windows_live_gfwl_to_be_discontinued/

Looks like the GFWL servers will shut down in about a year. I suggest you complete the games which uses GFWL, because after the servers shut down there will be no way to play multiplayer. I am not sure what this means for being able to save the game without being able to login to GFWL.

Fortunately, some developers will be patching their game to use Steamworks. Batman Arkham Series will be patched very soon and From software also said that they will patch Dark Souls, although they took down the statement later. But for lazy devs like Rockstar, GTA IV multiplayer might be dead on PC.

Absolutely. I had to endure GFWL when playing GTA IV, Dark Souls and Red Faction and it was not a good experience. I just hope that the devs of the old games come forward and remove GFWL.

I had a hard time with Arkham Asylum IIRC! Chose to play Arkham City on the X360 thus.

Good news definitely.

Its very bad news for me. :(

While I do not like GFWL at all (and that's an understatement), I have a number of games that require GFWL that I still haven't played nor do I have the time to play them anytime soon.

MS replied to queries regarding the shut down of GFWL with a statement that basically says nothing. Here it is anyway way IGN -

"Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future."

With ambiguous "clarifications" like the one above from MS, no one knows for sure whether the service is shutting down next year or not.

I have some 15+ odd games that require GFWL that I am yet to play.

I really hope MS provides some sort of workaround that allows people who have older GFWL enabled games to at least be able to play them in SP offline mode if nothing else when/if the service is shut down and most likely, re-launched under a new name.

Last edited:
Same here. I have a lot of titles that require GFWL and is in my backlog. Some games will probably patch in Steamworks, like the Arkham series. Some games have ways to remove GFWL. For others, maybe we will have to use those cracked exe's. But the multiplayer will be dead, that's for sure.

As for alternatives, MS is bringing out it's own new DRM/launcher soon. But it probably wont work retroactively with older GFWL titles. There is one solution, that is to get off my ass and clear my GFWL backlog.

Personally, I don't mind losing the MP that much as long as I can continue to play the SP portion of the game. Even with that, there's no guarantee you will be able to play current games at a future date.

For example, I had picked up F1 2010 a couple of months back and decided to install it yesterday. I had a nightmare getting it to run with GFWL and Win XP.

It simply refused to work as GFWL insists it wants to be "patched/updated" before it even allows one to create an "offline" profile. If you cant create a profile, you cant save game progress - period.

Updating/patching GFWL makes it "incompatible" with XP and by extension the game as well because you (apparently) cant run the new GFWL "log in assistant" on XP anymore - it explicitly requires Win 7! :(

End result? Because GFWL is not "fully/properly" installed under XP, one can run the game but you cant save your progress which is pointless unless you are so pro that you can finish the full game in one sitting. Was finally forced to dual boot into Win 7 and only then could I install and run F1 2010 with "saves" enabled.

What worries me is what will happen once GFWL goes down permanently and there is no way to patch/update it at all? The GFWL client will 'insist" on contacting the online server for a compulsory "update" but will get no reply as it won't exist at that point. You will therefore not be able to create even an offline profile and without that you can't save your game progress.

As for clearing my backlog, that's not really an option for me to be honest. I'm the kind of player who likes to re-play older games from time to time. I am yet to play Fallout 3 (or NV for that matter) though I bought both several years ago. What I do know is, I will want to play them once as the devs intended and then revisit them again a couple of years later with some mods thrown in. Much as I did with HL2 and other titles.

Even if I somehow manage to clear my backlog before the service goes down, what happens if I want to play Fallout 3 again 5 years from now? I simply wont be able to for no fault of mine and despite the fact that I fully meet the "minimum system requirements" for the game and have a legally purchased copy. Pirates on the other hand, will face no such issue. This is what is REALLY annoying. I have paid for a game. I should be able to play it whenever I want provided the "system requirements" are met. Even today I have a fully functional Win9x box for games that explicitly require DOS/Win95/Win98, native 3dfx/Glide support etc. and they all work fine because they don't have any "online DRM" rubbish tethered to them.

With online DRM based DD services, (which is how most PC games are sold today via Steam/Origin/Uplay/GFWL) there are absolutely no guarantees you can play a specific game years from today even if you buy a legal copy and fully comply with the games original system requirements. Read any of the DD services' TOS/SA and you will see why they are so horribly one sided and offer no resolution on this issue.

This is why I dislike these services with their idiotic/intrusive/restrictive DRM not to mention customer unfriendly terms of service. Game devs/pubs are primarily to be blamed for the sorry state of affairs as they opt to use one service or the other sometimes exclusively. Its not like they cant release games DRM free. They can. Gog is a testament to the fact. They just couldn't be bothered to do so.

I fully understand the piracy aspect but I wish there was some sort of rule where devs/pubs would remove DRM restrictions on a game 5-6 years after release. Anyone who genuinely wanted to play it by then will have already done so - legally or not.

The plus would be that even if a game required a specific service/client that was subsequently shut down, customers would still be able to play their legally purchased games...

Last edited:
Agree on all points. But this is really what things are coming to. The biggest issue will be when the publisher shuts down servers for those always online games, like Diablo III and Simcity 2013. You can't even play the single player then. In today's world, you are not really buying the game. You are buying the license to play the game. I am trying to expand my GOG library, but it's not as cheap as Steam during its sales.

I do agree with you, but to be fair, we have always bought a "license" and never "bought" the game itself, so little has changed on that front since time immemorial.

What has changed is the "enforcement" of the license.

Earlier, we would buy shrink wrapped games that had similar licensing terms but the devs/pubs had no means of enforcing them as there were no online DRM servers to do so and the game media (Floppy/CD/DVD) was always in the end users hands.

Whats worse though is that of late, it doesn't even feel like we are buying a license to a game. It feels more like "renting" a game.

Add to this the fact that services like GFWL that require "authentication" and "updates" from online servers (even for SP "offline" mode) that can be pulled off forever leaving end users with absolutely NOTHING is really disturbing...

Last edited:
The biggest issue will be when the publisher shuts down servers for those always online games, like Diablo III and Simcity 2013. You can't even play the single player then.

And its finally happened.
Steam has forcibly removed a game from libraries of people who "purchased", sorry, RENTED it. Game in question is "Order of War: Challenge".
The Steam store page for the product was replaced with this message from the Devs -
"Whilst we have loved seeing you enjoy playing Order of War on Steam, unfortunately it is no longer viable for us to continue to run the multiplayer servers due to the low volume of traffic and so the servers were switched off on September 1st, 2013. The multiplayer aspect of Order of War and Order of War: Challenge have subsequently ceased to function, and customers will notice that Order of War: Challenge has been removed from their Steam library. For those who have been playing our game, we thank you for your support and hope you had fun."
Link-
http://store.steampowered.com/news/11428/

This is a FIRST in the history of Steam (AFAIK), and perhaps a portent of what lies in the future. Its not Steams fault but it does highlight the pitfalls of "always on DRM" only too clearly.
The really annoying part is that while the game is primarily an online game, it also had an 18 mission Single Player campaign. However as the game enforced an "always online DRM" model and Square Enix shut down the servers for the game you can't even play the SP part because you simply cant be authenticated anymore.

This is exactly why I am REALLY worried about the garbage-ware GFWL shutting down in a few months. Fallout 3, Bioshock and at least 10-20 other games I have "rented" via Steam that use GFWL that I still havent played. Sure, some devs have offered workaround like switching from GFWL to Steamworks, but there's no guarantee that it will be done for all games. :(

Detailed article here -
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...e-order-of-war-challenge-from-user-libraries/

Last edited:
Hmm, that's troubling. I think Steam will be catching some flak for it. This year I will be spending more on GOG and less on Steam, but more and more games have this tacked on multiplayer, so they won't be sold on GOG probably.

Ok here's something really weird but interesting nonetheless. On another page on the Steam store, the game is STILL AVAILABLE FOR RENTING! See here -
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34600/
Apparently, "Order of War", the original game had both a SP and a MP component at one point. "Order of War: Challenge" was an add on. "Order of War: Challenge" didn't have any SP component. Considering that Steam is still selling "Order of War", one would assume that the SP portion of the game is still functional.
In fact, SE particularly states "The multi-player aspect of Order of War and Order of War: Challenge have subsequently ceased to function" and makes no mention discontinuing SP access.
So maybe the Forbes guys got it wrong. The SP component doesn't require online server authentication and continues to survive. In fact one of the user reviews on that page states -
"Its a very fun at times, although, if you wanted to play with friends, you sadly cannot do that anymore... the servers were shut down. I think it would've been better to try and migrate the servers."

Last edited:
So is this hatred of online tethered DRM the real reason why you didn't install Dota2 :p?

I can relate, it took me quite some time to adopt Steam. Otherwise I much prefer the manual patching and management of games. Atleast they can never disappear into the ether in this manner when the user has total control over game installations.

In a sense yes.

I tried to download DOTA 4 days in a row. Every evening I would stop the download at some 70-80% and the next day when I resumed it, it would restart from 0%. I have never had this sort of problem with any Steam game before. After 4 days and reaching a max of 91% one time, I finally gave up... :S

Some updates about GFWL removal from the games that have them:

Green = GFWL has been removed.
Blue = GFWL will be removed.
Red = No plans.
Purple = We've reached out but are still awaiting response.
(Colorblind version)

2K Games
BioShock 2 (Steamworks)

Bethesda
Fallout 3 (None. GFWL CD key requirement removed by Steam. Instructions are available for downloading and archiving DLC purchased through GFWL.)

Capcom
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)

Codemasters
DiRT 2 (No Comment.)
DiRT 3 (Steamworks)
F1 2010 (Steamworks)
F1 2011 (Steamworks)
Fuel (No Comment. Delisted from Steam.)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (No Comment.)
Operation Flashpoint: Red River (No Comment.)

Double Fine Productions
Iron Brigade (No plans.)

EA
Bulletstorm

Microsoft
Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Tinker (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)

Namco Bandai
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)

Update: Namco Bandai descriptions altered from "will update" to "exploring options."

Nordic Games
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)

Rockstar Games
Grand Theft Auto IV + Episodes From Liberty City

Sega
The Club
Stormrise
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Virtua Tennis 4
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2

Shadow Planet Productions
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Steamworks)

Signal Studios
Toy Soldiers (Can choose between GFWL or Steamworks)

Strategy First
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage

Square Enix
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Twisted Pixel
Ms. Splosion Man (Steamworks. No timeline.)

Warner Bros
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (Steamworks)
Batman: Arkham City GOTY (Steamworks)
Gotham City Impostors (Steamworks)
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Zombie Studios / Ignition Entertainment
Blacklight: Tango Down (No plans.)

The following games are extremely unlikely to be updated:

Activision
Quantum of Solace (Delisted. Publisher no longer has rights to franchise.)

Disney Interactive
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Republic Heroes (Original publisher [Lucasarts] Closed)
Tron: Evolution (Studio Closed)

Timegate Studios
Section 8 (Studio Closed)
Section 8: Prejudice (Studio Closed)

This really sucks!

There are a number of games I own on that list that I still haven't played which are listed as either "no comment" or "no plans" against their name. :mad:

This is why I keep telling people who always go around stating (in a flowery, pretentious voice) - "DRM is not a problem - if XYZ company or ABC DD service dies, they will release a workaround that allows you to play the game without the DRM"
that they are living on some delusional/alternate version of the planet I am currently on...

Yeah well, some of these games can be played with a crack or Offline profile, but multiplayer heavy games will be totally shafted. Games like Bulletstorm will be worst hit, you cannot even install that without GFWL server side authentication.

Back