Budget 71-90K Gaming build with second hand GPU

Hey people, I am considering building a gaming PC which can potentially be my work PC as well but I need some advice from y'all to make sure I'm going ahead with the best possible build for me. The budget is roughly 80-85k and this does not include the peripherals. I'd like a used GPU if possible. I want the system to last around 2 years and don't care about longetivity that much.

Before I list the components, I gotta mention that I have a 4k monitor (this one) so ideally I want a build which can run native 4k games at 60 frames or upscaled 4k. 1440p is fine for me as well but I'm concerned about the way upscaling will be handled when playing at 1440p on a 4k monitor (DLSS would help me a lot here but NVIDIA doesn't like giving enough VRAM apparently so screw them).
FYI I already have an xbox series X so I want better performance than that from the PC. This was all in regards to gaming.

For my work use, I already have an M1 macbook air for programming/work and its working just fine for me so I'm not really sure if I'll use the new build for working as well. I guess that depends on how much better it'll be compared to the M1 macbook air (the 8 gigs of ram is really showing its age). I might dual boot linux with windows if possible and if its fairly fast to switch between them. Any opinions regarding this?

Now, onto the components I've chosen:

Here's a build list with a GPU (new) added for reference: pcpartpicker.in
Here's the screenshot for all the components I've chosen along with the GPUs (used) I think will suit me:
Do recommend any changes even if minor to the case, motherboard, CPU etc. if its worth it.

pcpricetracker.in_b_s_3f8aa425-468b-4498-aad6-9544e3eaf0a6.png

Update:

I researched a bit more and have decided to go for i5-12400 with the iGPU along with a used RX 6800 XT or 6700 XT. Also changed most of the small components. The new build is here.
Total is roughly 42,000 excluding the GPU so the final price with the used GPUs will probably be around 62,000-72,000.

Last edited:
You selected a DDR5 mobo initially with DDR4 RAM. 2x 16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 costs around 10k for reference.

IMO get i5 12400 for 12k instead because you can assemble your PC & start using it while you search for a used GPU. Also iGPU is handy in case dGPU has any issue. Get a better PSU, tier A ones, like MSI A750GL.

If you want to save money with used 6700XT/6750XT around 20k, then can settle for i5 + DDR4 RAM (3200MHz CL16 at least). If you plan to get say used 3080/6800XT, then maybe consider DDR5 RAM with DDR5 mobo for extra headroom. For 1440p gaming, i5 12400 + 3080 shouldn't have much bottleneck.

I own i5 12400 + 3070 rig & recently bought a 4K 120Hz TV. I can feel the pain regarding low VRAM. In games like FH5, my 3070 is powerful enough to push 4K ultra natively but I have to keep textures at high instead because of VRAM. Definitely avoid all 8GB VRAM GPUs, situation will get worse for 8GB VRAM GPUs considering PS5 kind of has 10GB VRAM & games will be optimised for that.

Regd. monitor - I feel its response time will kind of ruin your gaming experience. I use gaming monitors & play games at 70-75fps mostly. So I thought a 75Hz monitor would be fine for gaming as well, but I was wrong, the lack of VRR & high response times were noticeable. I recommend buying Acer XV272U V3 in future for a better experience.

49k wo gpu.png

If you are going to go for DDR4 ram I suggest using a 5600x as it offers better performance in comparison with 12400 on ddr4 ram and sometimes even on ddr5 ram. The case that you use in your build has bad build quality and also pretty much no airflow, so I suggest using the one above. Using two different ram sticks together which are not in a kit can lead to problems at times that is why I suggest using the kit that I have mentioned able as it is faster and also has much lower latency. The P3 ssd has terrible durability only 220 tbw which is only a third of the sn770 which doesn't cost that much more. Also you don't need a atx 3.1 psu so its better to save money there, but if you want an atx3.1 psu I suggest going with an 850 watt one as when you upgrade onto a next gen gpu you will have the power headroom. For the gpu I suggest going with the 6800xt, you can get a used one for around 34k. I also suggest that you consider selling your 4K monitor for a 1440p one as the 6800xt can easily handle native 1440p plus 1440p with fsr looks better and sharper than 1080p and very close to native 1440p as performs (fps) just like 1080p.

GPU:
https://zoukart.com/product/asrock-rx-6800xt-16gb-phanttom-gaming-1-year-warranty-2/

With respect to the Gigabyte PSU, it's very hard to trust a company with a component as critical as that if they do this

The SKU for the PSUs discussed in these links is not the same, but the very fact that those PSUs passed all QC and were released is a red flag IMO.

The RAM has a pretty mediocre review score as well, so I dunno why recommend that vs. something like the corsair which is more established as a brand and has better reviews. If I'm mistaken I'd be glad to know why.

View attachment 201170

If you are going to go for DDR4 ram I suggest using a 5600x as it offers better performance in comparison with 12400 on ddr4 ram and sometimes even on ddr5 ram. The case that you use in your build has bad build quality and also pretty much no airflow, so I suggest using the one above. Using two different ram sticks together which are not in a kit can lead to problems at times that is why I suggest using the kit that I have mentioned able as it is faster and also has much lower latency. The P3 ssd has terrible durability only 220 tbw which is only a third of the sn770 which doesn't cost that much more. Also you don't need a atx 3.1 psu so its better to save money there, but if you want an atx3.1 psu I suggest going with an 850 watt one as when you upgrade onto a next gen gpu you will have the power headroom. For the gpu I suggest going with the 6800xt, you can get a used one for around 34k. I also suggest that you consider selling your 4K monitor for a 1440p one as the 6800xt can easily handle native 1440p plus 1440p with fsr looks better and sharper than 1080p and very close to native 1440p as performs (fps) just like 1080p.

GPU:
https://zoukart.com/product/asrock-rx-6800xt-16gb-phanttom-gaming-1-year-warranty-2/

If I'm mistaken I'd be glad to know why
The only reason I recommended that particular ram was that it was CL14 and pretty cheap in comparison you could also go for:
https://www.pcstudio.in/product/g-skill-trident-z-rgb-32gb-16gbx2-ddr4-3600mhz/

Corsair ram was is just too expensive and not worth it. G.Skill is pretty good in my opinion. I had recommended against the corsair one because it had pretty high latency as also mentioned by others.

With regards to the PSU that was over 2 years ago and also it was a completely different SKU. This one was pretty highly rated on other tierlists and that is why I recommended it.

If you are going to go for DDR4 ram I suggest using a 5600x as it offers better performance in comparison with 12400 on ddr4 ram and sometimes even on ddr5 ram. The case that you use in your build has bad build quality and also pretty much no airflow, so I suggest using the one above. Using two different ram sticks together which are not in a kit can lead to problems at times that is why I suggest using the kit that I have mentioned able as it is faster and also has much lower latency. The P3 ssd has terrible durability only 220 tbw which is only a third of the sn770 which doesn't cost that much more. Also you don't need a atx 3.1 psu so its better to save money there, but if you want an atx3.1 psu I suggest going with an 850 watt one as when you upgrade onto a next gen gpu you will have the power headroom. For the gpu I suggest going with the 6800xt, you can get a used one for around 34k.
I want to go with a CPU that has an iGPU just in case I'd like to stick with the i5 12400. Regarding the case, yeah I can go for a better one, thanks for that. I'll also look into a better SSD.

I also suggest that you consider selling your 4K monitor for a 1440p one as the 6800xt can easily handle native 1440p plus 1440p with fsr looks better and sharper than 1080p and very close to native 1440p as performs (fps) just like 1080p.
I bought it just a few months ago and I really prefer 4k over 1440p and I'm fine with 60 fps to be honest. Also, I think the resale value will just be terrible so its not worth selling, what do you think?
---

Thank you everyone for your help, here's my latest build excluding the GPU.

1720705340976.png

Last edited:
I'd like to stick with the i5 12400
If you are going to go with intel I suggest upgrading the motherboard to one which can handle higher power loads on the vrm something like a b660 or a b760. It will cost more but will also offer peace of mind as you wont throttle your performance due to the motherboard power limit and you will also get many more features.

Also go with this ram instead it has lower latency and the same speed also it costs the same:
https://mdcomputers.in/gskill-ripjaws-s5-ddr5-32gb-6000mhz-f5-6000j3040f16gx2-rs5k.html

Last edited:
I recommended that particular ram was that it was CL14
Sorry where do you see CL14 for this? I think this is the same SKU as the one you have in the screenshot https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...32gb-16gbx2-3600mhz-ddr4-memory-bl-9bwwr-346/
That's CL18 3600MT/s, which is slightly higher MT/s but same CAS ms latency as CL16 3200MT/s.

1720715061868.png

Sorry where do you see CL14 for this? I think this is the same SKU as the one you have in the screenshot https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...32gb-16gbx2-3600mhz-ddr4-memory-bl-9bwwr-346/
That's CL18 3600MT/s, which is slightly higher MT/s but same CAS ms latency as CL16 3200MT/s.

View attachment 201202

Screenshot 2024-07-11 215610.png

They have provide wrong info on their site. There is a similar model which does provide C14 with 3200mhz but I guess this one only has C18.

1720715474956.png

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help so far. I've had a change of plans regarding the build and now I'm thinking of going the am5 route and increasing the budget for the non-GPU components so that the build is more upgradable in the future. I am now looking for a build which will be able to support an RTX 4080 ti or RX 7900 GRE in the near future (<6 months). For now, I'll go with a build without a dedicated GPU and then after a few weeks get a used RX 6700 XT or RTX 3060 ti.

Please let me know if my plan sounds good or if I should stick with the current CPU/motherboard combo or an am4 one if there isn't a bottleneck.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help so far. I've had a change of plans regarding the build and now I'm thinking of going the am5 route and increasing the budget for the non-GPU components so that the build is more upgradable in the future. I am now looking for a build which will be able to support an RTX 4080 ti or RX 7900 GRE in the near future (<6 months). For now, I'll go with a build without a dedicated GPU and then after a few weeks get a used RX 6700 XT or RTX 3060 ti.

Please let me know if my plan sounds good or if I should stick with the current CPU/motherboard combo or an am4 one if there isn't a bottleneck.
R5 7600 + B650 Gaming X AX + 2x 16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 should be good with the MSI A750GL. AG400 should be a fine cooler for it.

IMO you can go till 4080/7900XTX level performance w/o too much bottleneck. IMO wait for a few weeks as Ryzen 9000 is coming out, can get some price cuts in India as well on Ryzen 7000.

Used 6700XT should be good a year IMO, maybe upgrade GPU in summer next year. We should have 5070 & 8800XT out by that time.

Thanks. I'm going with the Ryzen 7600 and that RAM. In case of the motherboard, is the one you mentioned better than this one? Is it really worth the +3.5k INR?
Yes, because of better VRM but mainly for 3rd M.2 slot for SSD. Good VRM helps if say you decide to upgrade to a more power hungry CPU in say 2027 or so. AM5 gets support till 2027, so I assume at least another major generation after Ryzen 9000 (might get a cash grab gen like Ryzen 8000 in between as well).

Almost as good but with 1-2 less USB 3.0 & instead they gave USB 2.0 ports vs Gaming X AX.

If you want a cheaper motherboard you can go with the Asrock B650M HDV/M.2, it has amazing Vrms for the price, it should be able to handle the 7600 easily with a big room for improvement and 3 pcie slots with 2 M.2 slots one of which is pcie gen5.

If you also want wifi you can go for the Asrock B650M PG lightning, it has 2 pcie slots with 3 M.2 slots one of which is a gen 5. It has decent vrm performance and will be able to anything upto a Ryzen 7 but might struggle a bit with a top end Ryzen 9. But for the price and features it is a good choice.

Also instead of the 6800xt, I think you should go for the 3080Ti, it has pretty much the same performance as a 4070Ti minus the frame generation and will handle 4k gaming much better than the 6800xt in most games also DLSS is better than FSR. I saw one selling on zoukart for 36.5k which is a good price imo.

Hey everyone, thank you for all the help! I think I've made the best possible build I could with a decent budget (and without the GPU for now). Here's the link to the (final) build.

I don't think I'll be modifying this build now unless there's a compatibility issue or a much better alternative component. I'd appreciate it if you guys could give your final thoughts on this build. Cheers!

Some notes:
I'll use the Ryzen 7600 with the stock cooler for now.
The RAM is CL30. This is the best one I could find for the price.

final-build.png

Also, is it fine ordering the parts from PCStudio and MDComputers separately or should I buy from a single store?

Last edited:
You should go for this ram:
https://mdcomputers.in/g-skill-flare-x5-32gb-ddr5-6000mhz-f5-6000j3038f16gx2-fx5.html

It has same latency and price but it's from g.skill so it is more reliable.

And yes you can buy from seperate stores, the only drawback might be different shipping times but then again a same store can also ship components in different batches
This was the RAM I originally went for but I saw some bad reviews about it on reddit like the comments under this post.

Back