Budget 90k+ Gaming + HTPC for 1L

GunsNRoses

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 1 lakh INR, no more
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• None...this is a new PC build
      Have a keyboard+mouse so don't need to buy that.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Keyboard+mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5 4690K - 16.3k
    • Motherboard - Asus Z97 Pro Wifi Motherboard - 16.6k
    • Ram - 8 GB Corsair Vengance 2*4GB - 6k
    • GPU - Asus Strix GTX970 DC2OC - 29k
    • PSU - ???
    • Cabinet - Cooler Master K380 - 4.5k
    • Hard Drive - Any decent 1TB HDD (budget 4-5k)
    • Monitor - Need a cheap+decent monitor for now (5k budget)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • Needs to be a brick-and-mortar shop that can give me an estimate
    • Heard Computer Empire in Nehru Place is better than SMC. True?
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Everyday use at home
    • HTPC
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS, MMORPG
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Probably, want the option
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 or 8.1

Hi all,
Long time since I've posted here, and I'm out of touch with the PC trends. So I need some help to purchase a gaming rig with a budget of 1 lakh INR.

Some doubts in my mind:
1. Should I got with an i7 4790k processor? It is 8-10k more than the i5 4690k. Worth it?
2. Is there a better GFX card than Asus Strix GTX970 without overshooting my budget? If I can get GTX980 with this budget, that'd be swell!
3. Which is a decent power unit? I'm looking for 650w....is the Corsair AX series still available?
4. Is the mobo I selected best for the price?
5. Any other cabinet suggestions?

All your suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
For gaming i personally don't think the extra threads of an i7 are worth it since not even a handful of games use more than 4 threads. putting this towards a better gpu or ssd or more ram would be my suggestion.
the 980ti is going to be released anytime so they might lower the price on the 980 (maybe).
the seasonic s12 620w would be the psu i'd recommend. better quality components than corsair.
for hard drive you can go for a wd blue.

dont build it now,new amd cards will be out in around 2 months,i know not a small amount of time to kill but theres a good chance they will be very vfm.in case you gotta have it now:
you dont seem to have exhausted the entire budget,moreover if you are in delhi the best retail location would be cost to cost in nehru place,you can download their price list online,most components you have listed can be had for a fair bit less,ex they have gainward 970 for 23k(probably slightly lower clocked,woudnt be very detrimental to perf though)
so you can either sli 970's (be like 3k overbudget?) or get a 980,its going for 43 on c2c(not worth it imo besides as the previous poster said 980 ti is inbound so a price cut could be around the corner.
personally i would recommend 970 sli,anything less in a 1l budget doesnt feel right.
note:my math maybe off too lazy to be very accurate right now.

• CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1245 v3 -23000,
  • Motherboard - MSI H97 PC Mate - 7000,
  • Ram - Corsair Vengance 8GB(2*4GB) 1600Mhz - 5500,
  • GPU - Zotac GTX970 4GB - 27000,
  • PSU - Seasonic SS650KM3 650w -8000,
  • Cabinet - Corsair SPEC-01 -4000,
  • Hard Drive - WD Caviar Black 1TB -5500,
  • Monitor - AOC i2276VWM 22" LED IPS -9000.
  • TOTAL -90,000.

@madara_uchiha ; good news! the radeon 300 series is scheduled to be announced during computex taipei between june 2-4th. availability will start from june 18th (at least in the us)
@op, try to include an ssd if possible.
also if you do plan to sli/xfire then hold off on the second gpu as directx 12 has confirmed multi-gpu support that does not require the gpu's to be identical. how well it works remains to be seen though.

that is good news indeed,if the 380x is available here at the same initial price as the 280x then it should set op back about 24k.a decent deal considering its expected to be on par with 290x.if this is the case then it should be possible to cfx 380x (though slightly overbudget) or opt for the next card in the hierarchy.390x is pretty much guaranteed to not launch at an affordable price point so thats out of the question.
if this is indeed how it turns out then i recommend a 380x cfx,in case a small extension of the budget is impossible i suggest you wait until a price drop,this will also give you a chance to see how asymmetrical cfx/sli perform,a good platform to make second gpu decisions from.

Actually new rumors based of leaked driver details abound. from what i gather and infer the most likely scenario will be
1) hawaii (290/x) is making a comeback in the 390/x
2) the 380/x will most likely be tonga pro and xt
3) the 370/x will be trinidad which is a 7800 series derivative (pitcairn)
4) the 360/x will be curacao which is a 7700 series derivativen(bonaire)
5) the HBM powered fiji will be targeting the titan and will thus be on some other naming scheme (rumors again say 'fury' derived from the original ati 'rage' name)
6) fiji will have 4gb ram as the first implementation of hbm is limited to 4gb max. vram.
7) i think the regular 300 series are going to have identical specs to the corresponding 200 series with the only difference being the new tessellation algorithms and power saving features they tried on tonga (285) but this time with all cores unlocked.
8) we can guess approx. pricing since we know that chips aim for designated price points - so if say the 370x is a $200 mrp. card then we can expect it to retail in India for about 20-30% above that at launch which gives us a price of about 15-18k which sort of fits. e.g. gtx 960 is a $200 card and that sold for about 18-19k at launch (it's about 16k now). so the 380x will most likely be a $300 card so we can estimate a price of about 21-25k (realistically i expect it to be in the 25-30k). if this card can match the gtx 970 in terms of performance and tdp then you can definitely expect nvidia to slash it's pricing down to the $250 level.

also for those interested - the leaked specs of the 980ti indicate it to be more of a binned titan than a souped up 980. (i.e. it's more like a 990 than a ti)
It's specs (vs. a gtx 980) are as follows - 2816 cuda cores (vs. 2048), 384 bit memory bus (vs. 256 bit) and 6gb ram (vs. 4gb or 8gb) and most likely to be around $650 (it will be 50k+ in India).
The interesting bit here is that they have disabled 2 smm units to get these specs which brings us to the elephant in the room - is it a 5.5gb card?
short answer, 99% no since this time they did not touch the memory controllers or the cache to disable the 2 smm units so it shouldn't have the problem the 970 had.

I really hope that directx 12 allows dissimilar gpu's to work together then we don't have to deal with what vendor the game is optimized for.
an amd and nvidia card could mean hairworks AND free-sync on the same system.

Disclaimer: All of the above is speculation by me based off rumors on the net. only posted my thoughts since in less than a week i'll know if i was close or way off.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you for such in-depth responses!
Unfortunately, I can't wait for 1-2months. And the way things are in India, it might take even longer for these cards to hit the markets.
As for the monitor, I just need a cheap/decent interim monitor, will be using another monitor/TV with this in the future. SSD....I plan to put in the future, not now.
I'm yoloing it and going for the GTX980.

primeabg had the gtx 960 less than a week after launch so you won't have to wait long. also now that the 980ti is out nvidia has cut the 980's price by $50 which could translate to about 2k off here.
the 300 series should be available in India by the end of June.

i went for the green bandwagon cos of this :
http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...ka-fury-x-slower-than-geforce-gtx-980-ti.html

@Chaos what is your current build like ?

All heresay so far to be honest. We'll know the truth once the card appears.

I'm still running on a 2500k @4.5G with 16GB ram and a 512GB adata sp610 ssd. I'll probably change the CPU once skylake/zen appears later during the year. Don't require/need more than 4 cores.

The main reason I'm in the AMD camp is because the card would be driving a 10 bit Asus PA279q monitor connected to an Asus 7970 GHz edition card. I do some photoshop work once in a while and the smoother gradients that 10 bit offers are invaluable.

Right now NV doesn't support a 10 bit ramp in OpenGL applications (Photoshop CC is GL based) and this is a major bummer for me. They force you to buy a quadro for that. In fact it doesn't even have a 10 bit color mode available unlike AMD radeons which can be made to work with just a small entry in the registry.

Last edited:
Back