Budget 71-90K Gaming Laptop - Asus TUF v/s Acer Predator Helios, or any other?

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
hello,

a friend of mine who wishes to purchase a gaming-laptop of upto 80k price-range, has found some good deals locally (lamington road) on an Asus TUF & an Acer Predator Helios model, with nearly identical configs (only differences being, one has 11th gen i7 & the other has 10th gen, and one of them has only a 512gb ssd for storage, and the other has 256gb ssd + 1tb hdd). price-difference between the two is about 3-4k. he has a couple of doubts on which i request members to throw some light:

1. which out of the two brands/models should he prefer? he says his hunch tells him to go with the acer model (which has 10th gen i7 but 256gb ssd + 1tb hdd)

2. will rtx 3060 (the gpu in both the models) be 'future-proof', as in, last him atleast 4-5 yrs?

3. will going down a rung in the gpu-scale & opting for a model with rtx 3050 instead be a sensible decision?

his use-case is like, 1-2 hrs of gaming on avg daily, also incl. multiplayer-gaming (presently he's still hooked to BF4 MP for that & another newer game the name of which i forgot, in FPS, not finding the current crop of games good enough). other than that, he'll use the laptop for work-purposes (no designing or photo-work).

pls let me know if i should ask him for any other specifics..

thanks.

Check the display on both these models. If it is the 250 nits, 45% NTSC display then it's very average and not VFM for a 80k+ laptop.

1. Why go with a year older model?

2. Depends if he wants to max out the graphical settings on the games he plays. Should be good enough for most if not all games at mid to max settings.

3. Depends on the type of games he plays.

I mean i am no expert in the laptops or in anything else but learning from 3-4 laptops my friends have, no matter how good laptop is; always prefer one with speakers are on top/front. Unless one don't care for stock speakers placement at all then it's okay.

Last edited:
There is not much difference between 11th(unless it has more cores idk) and 10th gen CPU, also I own a Helios 300 with 10th gen i7 and 2060 and it is usually limited by 2060 and lack of thermal headroom on the i7

thanks everyone.

an update -- he has shelved the plan/idea to go with the earlier models (part reason being, the enticing pricing he had got, he came to know that some hanky-panky was indeed involved behind the too-good-to-believe prices, namely, selling refurbished laptops). now he's eyeing an asus tuf model with ryzen processor, towards which he was reticent earlier.

thanks everyone.

an update -- he has shelved the plan/idea to go with the earlier models (part reason being, the enticing pricing he had got, he came to know that some hanky-panky was indeed involved behind the too-good-to-believe prices, namely, selling refurbished laptops). now he's eyeing an asus tuf model with ryzen processor, towards which he was reticent earlier.
I had the Asus TUF Dash F15 for 11 months and it has a great build quality in my opinion. My friend had the non-Dash version and there was definitely a difference in build quality (and weight/thickness).

There were reports of some WiFi issues and my friend had to purchase a USB wifi adaptor but I never faced those personally. I also noticed that my laptop ran a lot cooler than his (Intel i5 11300h).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I had the Asus TUF Dash F15 for 11 months and it has a great build quality in my opinion. My friend had the non-Dash version and there was definitely a difference in build quality (and weight/thickness).

There were reports of some WiFi issues and my friend had to purchase a USB wifi adaptor but I never faced those personally. I also noticed that my laptop ran a lot cooler than his (Intel i5 11300h).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

my friend had finally purchased the Asus Tuf A15 2021 RTX 3060 model, but eventually ended up placing return-request (flipkart delaying the pickup too much) due to fluctuations in FPS by 30-40% while in-game and at the same time graphics card usage-fluctuation being 65-95%.

my friend had finally purchased the Asus Tuf A15 2021 RTX 3060 model, but eventually ended up placing return-request (flipkart delaying the pickup too much) due to fluctuations in FPS by 30-40% while in-game and at the same time graphics card usage-fluctuation being 65-95%.
Let me guess. 8GB ram?

Edit: just re-read, 3060 model probably had 16gigs. Honestly, strange. Low usage can be due to poor game optimization or a hardware bottleneck of some sort.

yes, 16gb. probably the latter but even after much reading & asking about he couldnt rectify it, nor could the asus technician who came to visit to check the issue.

Make sure you are buying the RTX 3060 with a higher TDP. As far as i know Asus TUF Dash lastest model has a higher TDP RTX 3060 but the older version may have the 105w TDP GPU. RTX 3060 in laptop are good for 1080p gaming, but it is yet to be seen how it handles unreal 5 engine games.

Both are good. I am using both. I have Acer Predator Helios 300 (https://www.flipkart.com/acer-preda...-hz-ph315-53-gaming-laptop/p/itmb2022d3889ada) and Asus Tuf Dash 15 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...se-grey/6448933.p?skuId=6448933&intl=nosplash) which is purchased from USA.

I feel no major differences while using both. Predator feels like a bit heavier side. But as per my opinion if you are pure into gaming, then you should never consider a laptop. But apart from that like study, casual gaming (no matter if you play heavy games too, but for a limited amount of time) you are good to go with both options.

Back