Monitors Gaming Monitor + Headset + Hard Disks + Ram recommendations

Rokrdude

Disciple
Hi all,

New to this site need your suggestions regarding buying monitor+headset+Harddisk+Ram
Questions

Q: What is your budget?
30k for monitor(could go upto max 40-45),Gaming headsets(15k),Hardisks 2Tb(7k),Ram (8k)
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel E8400 core 2 duo 3 GHZ
Motherboard - Asus pk5 vm dg33
GPU - ATI HD 5770
RAM - Transcend 1X2GB+1x1GB ddr2 800 mhz
Monitor - Samsung syncmaster 794 mg:ashamed:
SMPS - Default one's given in Zebronics cabinets
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel E8400 core 2 duo 3 GHZ
Motherboard - Asus pk5 vm dg33
GPU - ATI HD 5770
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Monitors-Dell u2410,u2412;Benq xl 2410T;Asus VG236HE 3D LCD Monitor
Could go upto u2711 but not sure as i need it only for gaming and entertainment movies/TV shows
So unless there is a major difference from 2410 other than size

Headsets
Looking at Senheiser's PC 350/360/333;Corsair vengeance 1300/1500;CM sirus 5.1 Surround sound

HDD
Not sure but thinking of WD Elements 3.5 Inch 2 TB External Hard Disk (Black);Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3.5 Inch 2 TB External Hard Disk (Black)
(P.S I have read the articles about increase in HDD prices after recent Thailand's floods but I need it urgently)

RAM
Thinking of getting 1066 mhz DDR2 4/8 gb or may be 1333MHz one's
Not sure whether my motherboard supports 1333mhz one's or ddr3 one?:huh:
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Probably final for next 2-3 years
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi
Nehru place
Need some advice regarding stores as after searching I am thinking about either smc or Computer empire
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes/No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies/TV shows
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Not sure but heard dell ips panel monitors are best and senheiser are leaders in headsets
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
As I am an avid gamer so basically all kinds of games Skyrim,Mass Effect 2,Arkham city
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
As high as I can i get
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Re: Gaming Monitor+ Headsets+HardDisks+ Ram recommendations

The Dell U2410 suits your bill perfectly and the IPS panel only makes the deal sweeter, here is why -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA, VA and TN.

For hard drives buy as soon as possible as you have very little leverage due to floods in Thailand and corresponding price escalation. I Think for ~7000/- you'll get the new Seagate 2TB LP drives.

Also please invest in a decent SMPS, preferably the Corsair VX 550W ~ 4400/- minimum, for improving system stability and increasing the component life [also with the extra wattage you get, you are future proof for further upgrades].

Hope this helps, Sire.

Thanks for the reply but after searching more I found out that there is not much difference between u2311 and

u2410 except the latter is 16:10 and costs almost double

So I wanted to know that with my configuration will u2711 work properly

Also still no opinions on headsets

Lastly searching more about my motherboard p5k VM shows that it doesn't supports ddr3

So is it worth it to upgrade to new motherboard for ddr3 or upgrading ddr2 from 3 gb 800 MHz to 8gb 1066mhz is

still a viable option as I will definitely not upgrading my processor or graphics card?

The U2410 uses a H-IPS panel. Its an 8-bit + 2-bit FRC panel.

The U2311 uses an e-IPS panel (e for economy). 6-bit + 2-bit FRC panel.

In terms of panel quality : H-IPS > S-IPS > e-IPS. This is why its nearly double the cost.

If you can afford it, the U2711 would definitely be the best option. But it has a reso of 2560 x 1440. Since its usually preferred to game at an LCD's native resolution for the best results, you would find your system struggling at that resolution.

Thanks so would probably be going for u 2410 btw how is it different from u2412 other than extra slots as u2412 ismuch more easily available as is around 10k less Still want to confirm whether my graphics card/motherboard support u2711

Also still need advice on ram/motherboard upgrade based on previous comment

Lastly as no one has replied on good gaming headsets so I am assuming very few people use it:huh:

SteelSeries Siberia V2-7.5k are good gaming headphones,also check out

Tritton AX Pro -http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Precision-Playstation-3-PC/dp/B0017IUFAE

The U2412 is supposed to replace the U2410, but they've cut corners and put in an e-IPS panel. So stick to the U2410 if you're picky about quality.

Your GPU will 'support' a U2711. Its only if you're gaming that your 5770 would run out of breath.

DDR2 prices are roughly double DDR3 prices.

2 x 4GB DDR3 ~ 2.2k

4 x 2GB DDR2 ~ 5.4k (considering 2GB sticks since 4GB sticks are not easy to find and probably more expensive)

Since Socket 775 is EOL, there aren't too many Socket 775 DDR3 boards - mostly entry level ones.

You could pick up a Gigabyte G41 board for about 2.5k. Not much of an upgrade, but should cost you the same as buying just DDR2.

Headset:

Tritton AX Pro (bulky)

Turtle Beach (forgot model) another 5.1/7.1

Roccat Kave 5k (availble in India- Flipkart)

For stereo:

Tritton AX 720

Turtle beach PX21 (check for typo)

Roccat cone

Razer Carrcharis (weird spelling - check once)

Steel Series Siberia V2 (not much VFM at 6k)

Or you can use any audiophile grade headphones (some people use them only for gaming) [Personally I don't know why they use these since I don't own any] [No mic]

Sennheiser HD558

AT M50

Audio Techina AD700

Crazy_Eddy said:
Your GPU will 'support' a U2711. Its only if you're gaming that your 5770 would run out of breath.
I wanted to get u2711 mainly for gaming and movies so with HD5770 it isn't recommended or is u2410 a better choice (I don't want to upgrade my monitor for atleast 4-5 years)

Crazy_Eddy said:
DDR2 prices are roughly double DDR3 prices.
2 x 4GB DDR3 ~ 2.2k
4 x 2GB DDR2 ~ 5.4k (considering 2GB sticks since 4GB sticks are not easy to find and probably more expensive)

Since Socket 775 is EOL, there aren't too many Socket 775 DDR3 boards - mostly entry level ones.
You could pick up a Gigabyte G41 board for about 2.5k. Not much of an upgrade, but should cost you the same as buying just DDR2.
So how about i keep my 3gb 800mhz ddr2 ram and get 4/5gb 800mhz ddr2 only
Is there any significant advantage of upgrading to 1066mhz ddr2 or even to ddr3 with g41 motherboard

Sarath_ said:
Headset:

Tritton AX Pro (bulky)
Turtle Beach (forgot model) another 5.1/7.1
Roccat Kave 5k (availble in India- Flipkart)

For stereo:

Tritton AX 720
Turtle beach PX21 (check for typo)
Roccat cone
Razer Carrcharis (weird spelling - check once)
Steel Series Siberia V2 (not much VFM at 6k)

Or you can use any audiophile grade headphones (some people use them only for gaming) [Personally I don't know why they use these since I don't own any] [No mic]
Sennheiser HD558
AT M50
Audio Techina AD700

Senheiser HD558 looks pretty good how is it compared to Senheisr 350/360(btw are they even available in delhi or India)
As my main purpose in all in one headsets after researching a lot I am thinking of getting corsoir vengeance 1300/Cm Sirus 5.1 Surround master (probably tilted more towards the former one) or even SteelSeries Siberia V2
Any suggestions regarding these three?

^^ What Crazy Eddy Sir wants to say is that, if you will try to game with your HD 5770 on the Dell U2711 your hardware is under-powered so your frame rates will drop. For desktop viewing and HD movie the card will do just fine.

There is not a very substantial advantage jumping onto the DDR III bandwagon for you, so stick to 800 MHz DDR II sticks, else upgrade your entire set-up [to DDR III standards, new processor, motherboard et al].

Not really an audiophile so best leave this question to the better initiated. Hope this helps.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ What Crazy Eddy Sir wants to say is that, if you will try to game with your HD 5770 on the Dell U2711 your hardware is under-powered so your frame rates will drop. For desktop viewing and HD movie the card will do just fine.

What if I use lesser resolution like 1900x1024 for gaming(or even a little lower) and the 2560 x 1440 for movies and browsing.Will there still be significant frames rates drop?

ALPHA17 said:

There is not a very substantial advantage jumping onto the DDR III bandwagon for you, so stick to 800 MHz DDR II sticks, else upgrade your entire set-up [to DDR III standards, new processor, motherboard et al].

Not really an audiophile so best leave this question to the better initiated. Hope this helps.

i agree with you, for 75k buy a sandy bridge rig with decent 24 inch monitor,for bigger screens buy some lcd tv.u need gtx 580 or mulitiple gpu to play @ resolutions more than full hd .(27 inch monitors)

arko1983 said:
i agree with you, for 75k buy a sandy bridge rig with decent 24 inch monitor,for bigger screens buy some lcd tv.u need gtx 580 or mulitiple gpu to play @ resolutions more than full hd .(27 inch monitors)

What if I use lesser resolution like 1900x1024 for gaming(or even a little lower) and the 2560 x 1440 for movies and browsing.Will there still be significant frames rates drop?

Btw searching more I found this 2 videos having same config as me as hd 4870 which is very similar to 5770 and saw games working with almost no lag at max resolution.

Also will there be a significant improvement in frame rates if buy another 5770 and use sli technology on my p5k vm motherboard itself or is it better to buy a new gpu itself(as I can spend max to max 10k on new gpu and that too if it is last option) as u2711 looks way way better than u2410

Lastly can anybody quote the latest price as smc shows 44k but one of my friend bought it around 40k couple of months back from nehru place delhi

Lowerig resolution while gaming would increase framerate but LCDs look pretty bad if you don't use their native resolution. When I first switched from CRT to LCD I was surprised too, you should probably try it on someone's monitor and decide for yourself if you are willing to use a non-native resolution.

With your 5770 you could also go for a 1920x1080 3D monitor like Alienware 2310. Its a TN panel so its got poor viewing angles / colour reproduction (bad for movies) but its 120Hz and input lag is much lower than some of the Dell IPS monitors (U2711 is around 15ms). If you go for a 2560x1440 monitor you pretty much have to have SLI/CF.

kreacher said:
Lowerig resolution while gaming would increase framerate but LCDs look pretty bad if you don't use their native resolution. When I first switched from CRT to LCD I was surprised too, you should probably try it on someone's monitor and decide for yourself if you are willing to use a non-native resolution.

With your 5770 you could also go for a 1920x1080 3D monitor like Alienware 2310. Its a TN panel so its got poor viewing angles / colour reproduction (bad for movies) but its 120Hz and input lag is much lower than some of the Dell IPS monitors (U2711 is around 15ms). If you go for a 2560x1440 monitor you pretty much have to have SLI/CF.

Ok thanks for the suggestion but after watching so many dell u2711 videos I don't want to go to 23/24" monitor inspite of mymedium pc specs Probably need some king of juggad like upgrading my gpu as well just to get the 27 inches feel

Which option do you suggest among SLI with 2 hd 5770 vs new gpu (10k budget)?

Also what about the videos above I think both the games are played at max resolution with almost no stutter and similar gpu?

if u try to new latest gen gfx card then u need to upgrade ur cpu also or else its gonna lag. u cant run gtx 580 & intel core 2 duo and expect to play all games at 2560 x 1440.cpu intensive games r gonna lag.btw wat r ur priorities movies or games.

if ur prioroty is movies buy a big lcd tv which is full hd.(i think u cant get movies for more than full hd res(not sure))

or else upgrade ur sys with latest sandy bridge rig.

if it was me i would go for the second with 85 k budget.(i would also suggest u do not buy hdd at this time use ur old 1.)

Intel core i5 2500k-11.5k

MSI Z68A GD55 B3-10k

Gskill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ-3.2k

PSU Corsair TX 650V2 5200

total 33k approx

spend rest on monitor +headset .upgrade hdd,gfx later.(sell ur old sys without hdd,gfx card for 4-5k or maybe more)

Don't know about the videos but I could only find Dirt 2 and BF:BC2 benchmarks for 5770 at 25x14 and the average FPS was around 40. You could overclock / mess with image quality settings to coax out a smooth frame rate for upcoming games but its better to go for a better GPU.
I prefer single GPU solutions as I mentioned and today's AT article about Catalyst 12 highlights some of the issues faced recently with multi-GPU configurations -
Battlefield 3 in CrossFire mode did not work out of the box (i.e. without microstutter) even with nearly a month-long public beta and AMD’s close relationship with DICE, and CrossFire support for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim took the better part of a month to reach Radeon HD 5000 series owners.

After going through all the recommendations and as I don’t want to update my whole pc for just the 27" monitor I think ill go for 23/24 monitor only

Which monitor will best for all round multimedia purpose. Thinking about u2410 but is it worth 8-10k over u2412 and almost double the u2311

Any other recommendations keeping in mind I don’t want to upgrade my processor, graphics card or motherboard and my purpose is only gaming+movies and no professional work

Last hope for u2711

Looking at some of the graphics card that I can invest on keeping my motherboard(p5k vm with 3gb ddr2 800mhz) and processor(core 2 duo 3ghz) same meanwhile getting a corsoir 550vx psu

Will my system support any of the cards

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

or any other around 15k max

I would love any card that supports most of the games at dell u2711 max resolution

^^ All cards will be supported, but don't get the 2GB version of the GTX 560 Ti, it'll be better you go for AMD HD 6950 2GB ~ !6500/- and later unlock it to a HD 6970, here is how -- AMD Radeon HD 6950 to HD 6970 Mod | techPowerUp.

Although your processor might be a hurdle for the overall performance of your system [especially if you manage to unlock the HD 2GB 6950 --> HD 6970].

Also if you get the Dell U2410, then you can scale back on your expenditures and go for a HD 6950 1GB ~ 14500/- OR MSi Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti 1GB ~ 13900/-.

Hope this helps, Sire.

Ok thanks alpha 17

So here is my final configuration(yup I know it will be bottlenecked due to processor and motherboard but hopefully I'll able to play most of the games at 2560x1440 resolution with decent frame rate)

Intel core 2 duo 3ghz(already have)

7g ddr2 ram 800mhz (already have 3 will be buying 4g more)

asus p5k vm motherboard(already have)

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC 2gb(will be buying)

Corsoir VX 550(will be buying is it enough?)

Dell u2711(will be buying)

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3.5 Inch 2 TB External Hard Disk (Black) or Seagate ST2000VX002 Internal Hard Drive

not sure which to buy as i'll using it most probably as internal how is the data transfer rate on external one (will be buying)

Any alternate recommendations(with hopefully dell u2711 and same motherboard ram and processor)

Back