Gaming PC @38K

connossieur

Disciple
I have made the following configuration of a Gaming PC. I would like to know whether getting some components from US via a friend would be cheaper?

Intel i3 2120 Processor - 7000
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard - 5500
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB RAM - 1640
Antec VSK-2000 Gaming Cabinet or NZXT Gamma - 3000
NVidia GTX 550i - 7500
500GB HDD or 128GB SSD - 5000
Power 500W- 2500 to 3500
Optical drive+KB+Mouse - 1000
Monitor - 5000

I have made the following configuration of a Gaming PC. I would like to know whether getting some components from US via a friend would be cheaper?Intel i3 2120 Processor - 7000Asus P8H67-M Motherboard - 5500Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB RAM - 1640Antec VSK-2000 Gaming Cabinet or NZXT Gamma - 3000NVidia GTX 550i - 7500500GB HDD or 128GB SSD - 5000Power 500W- 2500 to 3500Optical drive+KB+Mouse - 1000Monitor - 5000

A few questions and suggestions pertaining to the items I have emboldened --
Instead of getting the ASUS motherboard, why not go for the Intel DH67-BL.

Instead of the Corsair Vengeance series RAM modules, go for the Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS.

Instead of the nVidia GTX 550Ti, the AMD HD 7770 GHz Edition will be a better buy.

Which power supply do you have in mind? Depending on your RIG I will suggest you go for either the --
1) Cooler Master GX450W ~3000/- OR
2) Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/-

What size monitor are you thinking of purchasing?

Can you please fill this template up for a more accurate response. Don't you think the cutom duty levied will make the price of Indian purchase / purchase + import from US roughly the same. Cheerio!!

A few questions and suggestions pertaining to the items I have emboldened --
Instead of getting the ASUS motherboard, why not go for the Intel DH67-BL.

I like ASUS products and have had good experience with them. That's why chose that one. Nothing special there though.

Instead of the Corsair Vengeance series RAM modules, go for the Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS.

Ya I considered them also. But at lot of places, I read good reviews of Vengeance as far as gaming is concerned. For example, here.

Instead of the nVidia GTX 550Ti, the AMD HD 7770 GHz Edition will be a better buy.

Ya, I found this in the forum.

Which power supply do you have in mind? Depending on your RIG I will suggest you go for either the --
1) Cooler Master GX450W ~3000/- OR
2) Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/-
Thanks for this.

What size monitor are you thinking of purchasing?
Any 15.6" monitor.

Can you please fill this template up for a more accurate response. Don't you think the cutom duty levied will make the price of Indian purchase / purchase + import from US roughly the same. Cheerio!!
I'll get it via a friend who is coming from US. Mostly, he won't have to give the customs.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Also, do you think that a SSD will make a huge difference? SSD will be significantly cheap if I get it from the US.

Why are you going for a ~15.6" monitor? In ~6000/- you can get a decent 20" monitor like the Dell IN2030M.

Apart from this, why do you think your friend will not have to pay any customs, has he got any connections kya?

I still suggest that you go for the Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS because the Vengeance is more expensive than both with no real advantages. Also the heat-spreader on the same is rather cheap plastic as compared to a metal version on the RIPJAWS.

Also ASUS after sales service in India is harrowing at best, I have been to the RP Tech service centre at Nehru Place Delhi and it was a sight to behold, how they treated motherboards. Seriously you are better of with the Intel motherboard as it has an international warranty cover as well as better feature set in this price range.

Why are you going for a ~15.6" monitor? In ~6000/- you can get a decent 20" monitor like the Dell IN2030M.
Actually, I don't intend to buy a monitor at all. I have an Acer projector with I would be using for gaming. But for other graphics usage, I wanted a minimalist monitor.

Apart from this, why do you think your friend will not have to pay any customs, has he got any connections kya?
No connections. But some small stuff like SSD or RAM or Video Card or even processor can be brought easily.

I still suggest that you go for the Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS because the Vengeance is more expensive than both with no real advantages. Also the heat-spreader on the same is rather cheap plastic as compared to a metal version on the RIPJAWS.
I was thinking about the RAMs you mentioned, I'll check them out at the stores as well.

Also ASUS after sales service in India is harrowing at best, I have been to the RP Tech service centre at Nehru Place Delhi and it was a sight to behold, how they treated motherboards. Seriously you are better of with the Intel motherboard as it has an international warranty cover as well as better feature set in this price range.
Hmm.. may be I go with Intel then. What do you think about AsRock?

Also, what do you think about the SSD question I asked? I missed out a CPU cooler. Would that be necessary?

1) What do you think about the SSD question I asked?

2) I missed out a CPU cooler. Would that be necessary?

1) As you are already sourcing all the components from US, get these SSD's if possible --
  • Intel Series 320 90GB [they are cheaper in the US, plus the international warranty cover will keep you in great stead]
  • Crucial M4 128GB [one of the best performing SSD's in the market, though not released in India and no warranty cover either]
  • Corsair Force GT 120GB [another great performer and they have a great service network in India, better find out if they have a international warranty cover like Intel to be safe]

2) It will not be necessary, but if the CPU starts over-heating [OR you feel so] then do not hesitate to post and we will be ready to assist you.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

1) As you are already sourcing all the components from US, get these SSD's if possible --
  • Intel Series 320 90GB [they are cheaper in the US, plus the international warranty cover will keep you in great stead]
  • Crucial M4 128GB [one of the best performing SSD's in the market, though not released in India and no warranty cover either]
  • Corsair Force GT 120GB [another great performer and they have a great service network in India, better find out if they have a international warranty cover like Intel to be safe]

2) It will not be necessary, but if the CPU starts over-heating [OR you feel so] then do not hesitate to post and we will be ready to assist you.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I am not sourcing things from US. Will only get the ones which are cheaper there.
Also, I am not able to find i3-2120 by any online seller here in India. It is not listed in the TE excel also. I'll check up in the stores.

Thanks once again.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Just to inform, Corsair has an international warranty according to this link and this link. I found the 2120 on flipkart. Now, will check up the stores.

Back