Budget 71-90K Gaming Rig from scratch

tapashmoon

Disciple
Hey Guys,
I am planning to buy a gaming rig within a week. Please help me out.

Questions

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    None, I have a laptop
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    none
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel core i5 4670
    • Motherboard - Asus H87 pro
    • GPU - Asus/Sapphire/HIS R9 280x
    • PSU - Cooler Master Thunder 600W
    • RAM- Corsair Venegence 2x4GB 1600 MHz
    • Optical Drive- Any
    • HDD- Seagate 1TB
    • Cabinet: NZXT Phantom 410
    • Monitor: Dell S2240L
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following
    • Gaming Mouse
    • Gaming Keyboard
    • May be a soundcard, not decided yet
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Kolkata
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Photo editing for personal use
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I think I will skip MSI as they have closed service in India
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 5
    • FPS- Call of Duty, Crysis 3, Battlefield 4
    • Racing - NFS
    • RPG- Skyrim (HD), Dragon Age 3, witcher 2/3, eyc
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - Full HD
    2. Desktop - Full HD
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No for CPU, yes for GPU if possible (coolers if required will be added later)
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I am torn between the R9 290 and R9 280x. If I go for the 290 i will have to compromise on the motherboard and the cabinet. Need your suggestions.

The R9 290 is a new architecture. Since you are planning to overclock your GPU, the r9 209 heats up like crazy! Even the non-reference cards like the sapphire tri-x 290 the temps are very good compared to the stock 290, but if you go to overclock, it will heat up and temps will go above 80-90.
I suggest if you are planning to overclock, get a Asus 280x
If you plan not to overclock go for the sapphire tri-x 290 (unless you want to go for some serious cooling)
Either way you can go wrong with both these cards and you should be good for the next 4 years
Go for the Seasonic S 12II 620 W PSU rather than the cooler master
The rest of the config looks fine :)

The R9 290 is a new architecture. Since you are planning to overclock your GPU, the r9 209 heats up like crazy! Even the non-reference cards like the sapphire tri-x 290 the temps are very good compared to the stock 290, but if you go to overclock, it will heat up and temps will go above 80-90.
I suggest if you are planning to overclock, get a Asus 280x
If you plan not to overclock go for the sapphire tri-x 290 (unless you want to go for some serious cooling)
Either way you can go wrong with both these cards and you should be good for the next 4 years
Go for the Seasonic S 12II 620 W PSU rather than the cooler master
The rest of the config looks fine :)
If I go for a 290 card I will have to go for a reference card like the Sapphire R9 290 to accommodate in my budget. Sapphire tri x is way out of my league I suppose. Overclocking is purely optional for me and will not do it if I keep getting decent fps. 280x was my first choice, but saw some talks over various forums about 280x will soon be not enough for upcoming games. That's what has stirred up the thought for a 290.
Also can you please give me a price quote for the components? The seasonic PSU is almost 2k costlier than the CM one.:(

If I go for a 290 card I will have to go for a reference card like the Sapphire R9 290 to accommodate in my budget. Sapphire tri x is way out of my league I suppose. Overclocking is purely optional for me and will not do it if I keep getting decent fps. 280x was my first choice, but saw some talks over various forums about 280x will soon be not enough for upcoming games. That's what has stirred up the thought for a 290.
Also can you please give me a price quote for the components? The seasonic PSU is almost 2k costlier than the CM one.:(
The reference cards are way too hot without a cooler, plus in the Indian atmosphere with more humidity and heat, it will heat up more.
For the next 3 years you should be good with 280x. I had bought a 560ti about 3 years back (which was a 16k mid-range gfx card back then) and it has still not become the minimum recommended gfx card in most of the games. You should easily be good for the coming years with a 280x.
The asus directcu ii 280x should be ~26.5k (if you can't find the asus one, go for the sapphire toxic 280x which is about ~27.5k)
PSU is very important, I suggest you increase your budget by 2k and get the seasonic one. There is reason for the watts, it is 2k expensive :p The cheaper PSUs like the cooler master one say it is 600W, but actually it is not.
For all the components, you can get an estimate quote on http://www.primeabgb.com/

The reference cards are way too hot without a cooler, plus in the Indian atmosphere with more humidity and heat, it will heat up more.
For the next 3 years you should be good with 280x. I had bought a 560ti about 3 years back (which was a 16k mid-range gfx card back then) and it has still not become the minimum recommended gfx card in most of the games. You should easily be good for the coming years with a 280x.
The asus directcu ii 280x should be ~26.5k (if you can't find the asus one, go for the sapphire toxic 280x which is about ~27.5k)
PSU is very important, I suggest you increase your budget by 2k and get the seasonic one. There is reason for the watts, it is 2k expensive :p The cheaper PSUs like the cooler master one say it is 600W, but actually it is not.
For all the components, you can get an estimate quote on http://www.primeabgb.com/

What if I install a cooler later? Will it be similar to a CPU cooler or different? And will the PSU be able to handle it?

What if I install a cooler later? Will it be similar to a CPU cooler or different? And will the PSU be able to handle it?
You will need to install a water cooler. I think a 600W PSU should JUST be enough for a 290 plus a mid-end water cooler. I am not into overclocking, so can't give you a definite answer. But as per your requirements stated above of your budget and serious heating issues with reference 290s, I suggest you go for the asus directcu ii 280x and the seasonic PSU. You cn overclock the 280x and add a water cooler later.

Last edited:
I think I will stick with a 280x then. thanks mate.
Glad to help :) Just do not compromise on the PSU and get the seasonic one. :)
Just to add for your info: The sapphire toxic 280x will give 2-3 more fps than the asus directcu ii 280x but the toxic sounds like a mini jet engine on full load. I think your peace of mind is more important that 2-3 more fps. :p Hence I suggest the asus directcu ii 280x over the toxic

Glad to help :) Just do not compromise on the PSU and get the seasonic one. :)
Just to add for your info: The sapphire toxic 280x will give 2-3 more fps than the asus directcu ii 280x but the toxic sounds like a mini jet engine on full load. I think your peace of mind is more important that 2-3 more fps. :p Hence I suggest the asus directcu ii 280x over the toxic
I will go for the seasonic one, And about the 280x, I was thinking of HIS as it is cheaper, same fps as Asus and cooler. What's your opinion on that? Also cooler master Devastator Combo will be good for Keyboard and Mouse? (future upgrade).
Also about the cabinet NZXT Phantom 410 and NZXT Guardian 921B, no review available on the 921B. Any idea about that?

I will go for the seasonic one, And about the 280x, I was thinking of HIS as it is cheaper, same fps as Asus and cooler. What's your opinion on that? Also cooler master Devastator Combo will be good for Keyboard and Mouse? (future upgrade).
Also about the cabinet NZXT Phantom 410 and NZXT Guardian 921B, no review available on the 921B. Any idea about that?
The temperatures, fan noise, build quality and support, the asus and sapphire are better.
Mouse and keyboard is always a personal preference :D SteelSeries, Razer, Logitech, MadCatz etc to choose from. Although I would personally go for SteelSeries. For keyboards you can look for a mechanical keyboard, they are quite expensive but worth it.
For the cabinet you can go for the NZXT phantom 410 or the Corsair 400r. You won't go wrong with both.

The temperatures, fan noise, build quality and support, the asus and sapphire are better.
Mouse and keyboard is always a personal preference :D SteelSeries, Razer, Logitech, MadCatz etc to choose from. Although I would personally go for SteelSeries. For keyboards you can look for a mechanical keyboard, they are quite expensive but worth it.
For the cabinet you can go for the NZXT phantom 410 or the Corsair 400r. You won't go wrong with both.
10k keyboards out of budget :(
I will buy those later on. I think I will go finally with the 410. Will update as soon as buy it.
Thanks again

10k keyboards out of budget :(
I will buy those later on. I think I will go finally with the 410. Will update as soon as buy it.
Thanks again
Since you said you are looking to buy later, I didn't consider a budget, hence mentioned its expensive :p
A non-mech gaming keyboard is not essential btw and possibly a waste of money. All the anti-ghosting and profiles thing don't really matter and I can guartanee you won't use those features. Although, if you want to get them for their looks and backlighting, that's another issue otherwise my personal opinion is keep the cash or slowly save for a mech keyboard in the 6-8k range.
Some mech keyboards to look at are Corsair K70 (my favorite) or the CM storm quickfire or the Razer Deathstalker. You can check the reviews online and make a decision later
Good luck on your build. :)

Since you said you are looking to buy later, I didn't consider a budget, hence mentioned its expensive :p
A non-mech gaming keyboard is not essential btw and possibly a waste of money. All the anti-ghosting and profiles thing don't really matter and I can guartanee you won't use those features. Although, if you want to get them for their looks and backlighting, that's another issue otherwise my personal opinion is keep the cash or slowly save for a mech keyboard in the 6-8k range.
Some mech keyboards to look at are Corsair K70 (my favorite) or the CM storm quickfire or the Razer Deathstalker. You can check the reviews online and make a decision later
Good luck on your build. :)
Thanks mate. Will update as soon as I buy it.

<this post was lost due to a crash in which we lost 3 days of posts>

Attachments

• DSC_0609 (Copy) (2).JPG
    DSC_0609 (Copy) (2).JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0608 (Copy) (Copy).JPG
    DSC_0608 (Copy) (Copy).JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 212
Back