Budget 90k+ Gaming Rig + HD Movies - 90k+

Also I am looking at GTX 670 as the option for the Graphics card. Zotac or Asus whichever is available easily.

Go for whichever company is cheaper and offers the better after market cooler slapped onto the card. I think ZOTAC! will be a better buy considering that they offer a longer warranty period of 5 years (if you register product within 15 days of purchase) and are handled by Aditya Infotech.

ASUS is no lout though, the Direct CU cooler is good and it seems Rashi is also getting its act together.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Go for whichever company is cheaper and offers the better after market cooler slapped onto the card. I think ZOTAC! will be a better buy considering that they offer a longer warranty period of 5 years (if you register product within 15 days of purchase) and are handled by Aditya Infotech.

ASUS is no lout though, the Direct CU cooler is good and it seems Rashi is also getting its act together.

Yeah even I am preferring the Zotac card. But offlate I have read issues of availability for this card. Lets hope for the best !!

Yeah even I am preferring the Zotac card. But offlate I have read issues of availability for this card. Lets hope for the best !!

It seems the ZOTAC! card is a bad egg, manufacturing defect, so I say avoid it. Go for the ASUS Direct CU II edition GTX670 over the former.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_670_Amp_Edition/

tempfix_small.jpg
Important: All data in this review was obtained after I repaired a major design error of the card. When I received it, the card ran extremely high temperatures, reaching beyond 100°C. This is caused by screws with integrated stop, that resulted in too little mounting pressure between GPU and heatsink. I added four metal washers, by removing the screws, adding the washer and putting the screws back. The cooler was not removed for this procedure, thermal paste was not changed.

Thanks Alpha17 for all your help. Will bug you more if I need some help :hail:

Cabinet : (The hardest decision to make)

Golden words those. Absolutely true. And I am just beginning to realize what a tough time I'm having with this decision. Just not able to make up my mind. Super confused.

saneguy - I recently built my rig and assembled it myself. Took help from youtube videos :) I got half of my parts from flipkart (only the parts where price difference was not significant) as i needed an EMI option and purchased the rest directly from retail.

H100 in the 400R is an extreme tight fit .
Buy the H80 with the 400R .
If you want the H100 by any cost , 500R or similar cabinets .

Thanks for this piece of advice. Will look at the 500R or above. So far I have been tempted the most by the NZXT Switch 810. Guess that should have more than enough space for the H100.

saneguy - I recently built my rig and assembled it myself. Took help from youtube videos :) I got half of my parts from flipkart (only the parts where price difference was not significant) as i needed an EMI option and purchased the rest directly from retail. I

Wow that sounds truly amazing. I am not so confident that I'll be able to manage to set-up the whole thing. I am tempted to do that. But then I do not want to mess up some component. What videos did you refer? Maybe I'll go through those and see if I can manage to do the whole thing on my own. Also am worried on the cabling. Would prefer good cabling without any cluters.

saneguy - I got all the latest hardware available at that time. i7 2600 K, Asus P8Z68 M V PRO/GEN 3, Corsair TX 850 V2, Carbide 300R, Vengence 2 x 4 gb, CM 212 evo cpu cooler, Asus GTX 680, 2 X Caviar black 1 tB. For the graphics card i would advice you to get the Direct CU version of any Asus card you buy. My reference GTX 680 is good but reaches 82 degree Celsius on maximum load. So a reference design doesn't give you much over clocking headroom. Whereas an aftermarket design like the Direct CU provides much efficient cooling and you can push the card more.

I was also apprehensive about assembling it myself, so i read tutorials and watched videos on youtube about putting together all the things. There are lots available, eg, just search for how to assemble i7 processor on asus p8z77 etc you'll find the videos. And you'll always find videos on how to assemble the hardware for each of the components. Assembling it was a breeze and fun. Though take your time and never rush and take all necessary precautions- always assemble on a hard wood table, never on your bed or on a carpet. Keep yourself grounded all the time and be sure of what you are doing before attempting anything and don't try to force fit cables or pins if they don't easily interlock. The cabinet wires are a little tricky to put on the mobo but if you read the instruction guide carefully you won't have any problems. The toughest installation was the CPU cooler. Man i cut myself with the sharp edges of the heatsink trying to install it in the confined space of my cabinet. Got some blood spilled on the Mobo cauz of it and then carefully took it out and wiped it. Thankfully nothing went wrong and CPU cooler was installed correctly and i am getting very nice tempratures :) Some noctua D-14 guys are envious :bleh:. I am not in mumbai otherwise i could have helped you :). Good cable management requires that you select your cabinet carefully and also pick a modular power supply. Carbide 300R has decent cable management options.

Folks - finally it is here. I got the new rig assembled yesterday. Got it from Prime (Those guys are really great !). I did make some changes to the components from the earlier config. Below is the final rig !!

Processor - Core i7 3770k 3.5Ghz
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth Z77
Graphics Card - Asus Direct CU II GeForce GTX670 2GB
RAM - G-Skill RipjawsX 8GB x 2 F3-14900CL10S - DDR3 1866 Mhz
HDD - Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM Sata
SSD - Intel 320 Series 160 GB (Bought from US)
PSU - Corsair AX 850W Gold Certified
DVD Writer - Asus 24x
Monitor - Dell U2312HM - Ultrasharp 23 inches IPS Monitor
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100
Cooling Fans - Corsair AF140 x 2
Cabinet - NZXT Switch 810 White

Existing Components
Keyboard - Razer Tarantula
Mouse - Razer Deathadder

Pending Components
Speakers - Still cant find some good 2.1 Speakers. No compromises though. I'll keep hunting. Dont mind some good suggestions for this.
Printer - Looking for an inkjet, duplex printing, all in one printer (Any suggestions?)

So thats that. A system well built. Thanks to all for the help / suggestions - Alpha17, Jakob, terence_fdes, sreeram180, harry_houdini, artattak

Most will say I have over-built the system. I agree with the critics on that. But there are some reasons to choosing most of the components.

I bought the Sabertooth for the thermal armor. In Mumbai dust is indeed a major issue and this will help a little (good excuse since I'm usually too lazy to clean it myself :lol:). The NZXT Switch is big. It really is big. But it gives the whole system a very clean look. Lots of room within the cabinet still. The processor is simply a case of buying the best available one. I could have got an i5 and saved maybe 5k but then I guess the 'urban urge' caught up with me - just got the latest off the rack. The Corsair H100 while surely more expensive than your traditional heatsink coolers but again the aesthetics are unmatched with the H100. The whole heatsink and fan over the CPU gives a cluttered look. I guess the rest makes quite a good sense. The U2312HM monitor looks great.

I havent yet opened up the cabinet at home. Plan to do it today or over the weekend. Will surely post some pictures for all.

Thanks once again !!!

Cheers !!

Pending Components
Speakers - Still cant find some good 2.1 Speakers. No compromises though. I'll keep hunting. Dont mind some good suggestions for this.
Printer - Looking for an inkjet, duplex printing, all in one printer (Any suggestions?)

Congrats on the new RIG. Hope it serves you well; though I still want to quip that the Core i5 3570k would have been more than enough for your needs.

Rest all good. Dibs on the pictures in show-off section.

For speakers you can look at Corsair's SP 2200 gaming 2.1 set http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/05/27/corsair-sp2200-review/1 / http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/corsair_sp2200_speakers_review.

Congrats on the new RIG. Hope it serves you well; though I still want to quip that the Core i5 3570k would have been more than enough for your needs.

Rest all good. Dibs on the pictures in show-off section.

For speakers you can look at Corsair's SP 2200 gaming 2.1 set Corsair SP2200 Review | bit-tech.net / Maximum PC | Corsair SP2200 Speakers Review.

Thanks Alpha. Agree the i5 would have been enough - but I just couldnt resist myself lol...Thanks for this Corsair speaker suggestion. Am looking at this and also the SP 2500.

Excellent config saneguy (plenty of things similar to my own - budgetwise lol). I did the same thing too went for 3770K rather than 3570K ...... mainly because of it's hyperthreading capabilities & that in the future - there would be a lot more apps that would utilise it.

And of course great decision to go with the Sabertooth (this was my first choice), had to change at the last owing to hackintosh needs - so I went for Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi. And of course - there are scores of forums/user-groups for this combo that you have chosen (proc; mobo; cabby) - so that you can fine-tune your system even further.

Give us a feed-back of the NZXT Switch in due course (I chose the CM Storm Stryker)..... and the actual temperatures idle/load.

Goodluck
Terry

Excellent config saneguy (plenty of things similar to my own - budgetwise lol). I did the same thing too went for 3770K rather than 3570K ...... mainly because of it's hyperthreading capabilities & that in the future - there would be a lot more apps that would utilise it.

And of course great decision to go with the Sabertooth (this was my first choice), had to change at the last owing to hackintosh needs - so I went for Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi. And of course - there are scores of forums/user-groups for this combo that you have chosen (proc; mobo; cabby) - so that you can fine-tune your system even further.

Give us a feed-back of the NZXT Switch in due course (I chose the CM Storm Stryker)..... and the actual temperatures idle/load.

Goodluck
Terry

Thanks Terry. I am already looking at various sources on the net as to how can I further enhance this combo. I too looked at the CM Storm Stryker and while it may sound surprising I guess ultimately the SD Slot on the top in the NZXT tilted the balance in its favor. I often need to transfer my pictures and this convenience was good. Otherwise I think both cases are top notch !

I reviewed the Sabertooth on your recommendation. Thanks. Its fab !! The thermal armor is fabulous.

Will surely add some feedback on the whole build including the NZXT Switch :yahoo:

Back