Gaming wheel - To be or not to be

quixilver

Disciple
Hi mates,

I was looking for a gaming wheel with clutch and h-shifter. Had plans to get the Logitech G25 few years ago (read, nearly a decade), but it was close to 500Eur back then. Now the price has come down to a lot more reasonable 14-17k INR range.

I am using a Thrustmaster FGT rumbleforce wheel (PS2,PC) since 2006 and it does the job well (though it's almost idle since a few years)...

Also looked at Thrustmaster RGT Clutch, but that seems out of production + the gear shifter is purely sequential.

Had zeroed in on the Logitech G27 (although i would have loved to have the sequential/h-shift switch option of the G25), but wondering if they are coming out with a replacement sometime soon considering they aren't compatible with PS4,XB1 :)

Although I am a primarily PC gamer (not using my PS3 since few years), I was looking at future proofing the wheel with the new gen of consoles. Did this mistake with the FGT purchase in 2006 when the PS3 was just out!

Since I am a family man in the mid-30s, I don't see myself buying any new gizmos/upgrading in the near future ;) So would prefer to make the right choice if i should invest in the G27 or wait for a new model...

Would love to hear some expert opinion on this topic..

Not an expert here but if you're waiting for the next iteration of the G27, then it looks like it may not happen, judging by the talk across different forums over the years.

& as far as console gaming peripherals, Logitech have apparently pulled out of the biz. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01...tinue-console-gaming-products-harmony-remotes). It's an old source but there hasn't been any update saying otherwise thus far afaik.

Hi mates,

I was looking for a gaming wheel with clutch and h-shifter. Had plans to get the Logitech G25 few years ago (read, nearly a decade), but it was close to 500Eur back then. 1: Now the price has come down to a lot more reasonable 14-17k INR range.

I am using a Thrustmaster FGT rumbleforce wheel (PS2,PC) since 2006 and it does the job well 2: (though it's almost idle since a few years)...

Also looked at Thrustmaster RGT Clutch, but that seems out of production + the gear shifter is purely sequential.

Had zeroed in on the Logitech G27 (although i would have loved to have the sequential/h-shift switch option of the G25), but wondering if they are coming out with a replacement sometime soon considering they aren't compatible with PS4,XB1 :)

Although I am a primarily PC gamer (not using my PS3 since few years), I was looking at future proofing the wheel with the new gen of consoles. Did this mistake with the FGT purchase in 2006 when the PS3 was just out!

3: Since I am a family man in the mid-30s, I don't see myself buying any new gizmos/upgrading in the near future ;) So would prefer to make the right choice if i should invest in the G27 or wait for a new model...

1: Thats the reason. You're tempted to get a wheel just because its affordable.
2: Your usage shows that this one will be idle as well.
3: Supplements point 2.

So my conclusion is that you DONT need a wheel.

G27 is good fun. Its the only wheel that feels like a real car. The feedback can be accurately controlled to give you a steering feel that you are familiar with. The wheel is top notch by any standard. Great for Sim racing.

The pedals and shifter are not in the same league though they are better than everything else in the price range.

If you must have the wheel, make sure you get either assetto corsa or iracing as well. There is no fun with a wheel unless you have accurate car physics.

1: Thats the reason. You're tempted to get a wheel just because its affordable.
2: Your usage shows that this one will be idle as well.
3: Supplements point 2.

So my conclusion is that you DONT need a wheel.

Thanks for the conclusion based on your assumptions... my post was to inquire if I should go for the G27 or wait and not about my requirement for a wheel as such...

G27 is good fun. Its the only wheel that feels like a real car. The feedback can be accurately controlled to give you a steering feel that you are familiar with. The wheel is top notch by any standard. Great for Sim racing.

The pedals and shifter are not in the same league though they are better than everything else in the price range.

If you must have the wheel, make sure you get either assetto corsa or iracing as well. There is no fun with a wheel unless you have accurate car physics.

Thanks @Chaos .. yes i do have assetto corsa. I have used the G27 quite a lot and find it good enough... You are right about the progressive feel of the pedals as well... but was a bit skeptical if an update is around since it seemed long overdue.... Looks like it wont happen... Wasn't really into racing genre for a few years coz I owned an RS4 for a while and it is a let down when I touch a thrustmaster fgt once home :) But the G27 is a lot more realistic...

Thanks for the conclusion based on your assumptions... my post was to inquire if I should go for the G27 or wait and not about my requirement for a wheel as such...

@quixilver

"Gaming wheel - To be or not to be"
With all due respect I'd like to say that that is your title, and not "Gaming wheel - To buy now or to wait"

Anyways, I've got nothing more to say here.

To anyone buying a wheel my advice based on my experience is to get a steering stand as well. I have the G27 (bought it for 15K years ago) and use it occasionally while playing Dirt3 and GT5/6. I always rue the fact that I cannot enjoy the experience due to the lack of a proper stand. Another advantage of a stand is that you do not have to assemble the steering wheel setup everytime you want to play for an hour or less. I have to move the table in front of the TV and fix the damn thing, and then it feels like a sub-optimal arrangement. So the wheel was biting the dust for 2 years till I pulled it out again last month.

Now coming to the options, you have wheel stand pro (18K) or playseat (40K) which is the real thing. Both seem expensive. Last year I came across a gaming seat from Nitho which was 20K and seemed reasonable but its gear shift attachment is not available in India. Without that half the fun of G27 is lost. :( So I am left still hunting for a suitable easy to setup fixture which is fun (gaming chair).

PS: I learnt how to drive on the GT27 and PS3 :p

@quixilver

"Gaming wheel - To be or not to be"
With all due respect I'd like to say that that is your title, and not "Gaming wheel - To buy now or to wait"

Anyways, I've got nothing more to say here.
@AMG Well, to clear your confusion... "To be or not to be" refers to the G27 = To buy a G27 or not to buy (and wait for the upgrade) and you should have guessed the context from the body of the post.
Not only was the entire discussion about the G27/25 and not "which gaming wheel from the current crop to pick" or "should i buy a gaming wheel or not" but I also mention I own a FGT since 8+yrs... :)

hope this explanation would help me get an answer from you against my query than an answer to a question that wasn't posted at the first place... thanks

To anyone buying a wheel my advice based on my experience is to get a steering stand as well. I have the G27 (bought it for 15K years ago) and use it occasionally while playing Dirt3 and GT5/6. I always rue the fact that I cannot enjoy the experience due to the lack of a proper stand. Another advantage of a stand is that you do not have to assemble the steering wheel setup everytime you want to play for an hour or less. I have to move the table in front of the TV and fix the damn thing, and then it feels like a sub-optimal arrangement. So the wheel was biting the dust for 2 years till I pulled it out again last month.

Now coming to the options, you have wheel stand pro (18K) or playseat (40K) which is the real thing. Both seem expensive. Last year I came across a gaming seat from Nitho which was 20K and seemed reasonable but its gear shift attachment is not available in India. Without that half the fun of G27 is lost. :( So I am left still hunting for a suitable easy to setup fixture which is fun (gaming chair).

PS: I learnt how to drive on the GT27 and PS3 :p

Thanks buddy... I agree... a proper playseat is a must to utilize a gaming wheel when clubbed with a console... One can not enjoy a gaming gear if it isn't complemented with ergonomic usage environment... I had suggested the Nitho gaming seat to a colleague couple of years ago... but i wasn't aware it doesn't have a gear shift attachment.. .thanks for the info...

My usage is primarily PC with a benq 2740 monitor... the table has additional mounting for a wheel. Had to get a new customized table with a swiveling locking base extension for the wheel & joystick because on the normal mount it would move the whole table under too much of sideways force :D

But I will now need to customize it further to accommodate the gearshift console of the G27

@quixilver - I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but needed some advice regarding it.

@Renegade - I was contemplating selling the wheel to @quixilver for the exact reason your wheel was lying idle for 2 years. When I use it I love it but assembling and unassembling is a pita. Anyways back to my question - Do you use the default settings for Dirt 3? I find them somewhat nightmarish in it the car just swings from left to right. It is not something I encounter in GT 5, 6 or F1 Championship edition. Also the GT6 feedback seems a bit muffled compared to GT5. Anyway to bump it up?

@Renegade - I was contemplating selling the wheel to @quixilver for the exact reason your wheel was lying idle for 2 years. When I use it I love it but assembling and unassembling is a pita. Anyways back to my question - Do you use the default settings for Dirt 3? I find them somewhat nightmarish in it the car just swings from left to right. It is not something I encounter in GT 5, 6 or F1 Championship edition. Also the GT6 feedback seems a bit muffled compared to GT5. Anyway to bump it up?
Sorry I was a bit away. I have not played DIrt 3 much to be honest. I just put it aside after a few hours hoping to buy a proper stand soon and really enjoy the game. That never happened.

Honestly the list ended at G27. Rest of them might be great wheels but all 3 pedals and gear shift assembly make it the wheel to buy.

I'm also using a G27 but assembling it for short term gaming is pain. the racing seats are too expensive. Anyone out there made a easy to assemble DIY gaming stand/seat? links would be helpful.

PS: using on PS3 with Grand Turismo 6 currently will try on other PC games too as I have upgraded the desktop

Apologies for bumping up this old thread but since I'd mentioned above that Logitech have pulled out of the gaming peripherals biz, I thought I should provide an update.

I had said -
Not an expert here but if you're waiting for the next iteration of the G27, then it looks like it may not happen, judging by the talk across different forums over the years.

& as far as console gaming peripherals, Logitech have apparently pulled out of the biz. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01...tinue-console-gaming-products-harmony-remotes). It's an old source but there hasn't been any update saying otherwise thus far afaik.

Well, they have listed a G29 for the PS3 & PS4 on the Logitech India website - http://gaming.logitech.com/en-in/gaming-controllers. Pricing in India hasn't been revealed.

On the Logitech U.S. website, they have listed both the G29 & the G920 (for PC & Xbox One) - http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-controllers. They both have been priced $400 USD.

Just a comment about the seat for the rig... I inquired local hardware shop in order to build a Simul8r setup. Don't remember exactly, but with everything done it would cost ~3-4K for the PVC rig. You can buy one of those office chairs and break off the 'leg/wheel base' part and try to DIY the mount on the PVC rig. Else, buy an old 'real' car seat from the market, it already has the grooves/rails to mount on. Plus it has the springs etc to move the chair forward or back.

Link

Back