Budget 90k+ Gaming + Workstation

sivan412

Recruit
  • What is your budget?
    • 90k-1lac
    • 60-70 k ( Excluding graphics card )
  • What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • I will be getting Asus Strix GTX 980 DC2OC from @dinjo so not including that in the cost of the build
    • Processor - Intel i5 - 4690 ( Couldnt find it online at PrimeAbgb) - Approx 17k from other sites
    • Motherboard - Asus H97 Pro ( Link ) - 9k
    • PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 550W ( Link ) - 6.6k
    • RAM - GSkill Sniper F3 2400C11 ( Link ) - 7.2k
    • SSD - Adata Premier Pro SP600 ( Link ) - 3.7k
    • HDD - Seagate 1TB ( couldnt find it online at PrimeAbgb ) - 3.6k
    • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide 400R ( Link - Or some equivalent) - 6k
    • Monitor - LG 23EA53V 23 inch Full HD IPS ( Link ) - 10k
    • Total - 63.1k
  • Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Might add one more monitor after 3-6 months
  • Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  • Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Not sure
  • What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Workstation for development
  • Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I am not sure. I would of course like to avoid as much as hassle as possible when returning defective items/claiming RMA.
  • If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS, RPG, MMOs, Strategy
  • What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • 1920 x 1080
  • Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  • Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  • Windows 10
  • Linux - Ubuntu

I am open to any suggestion. This is the first time I will be building a PC so please point out if anything is incompatible. Also I am not sure which brands provide good after service in Mumbai. So a little guidance in that side would be great. Is the monitor a good one? I am not able to find other IPS monitors in this price range. Is it possible to get a cheap Win 10 OEM version (for like 2- 4k )?

• Processor - Intel Xeon E3 1245 v3 -19000,
  • Motherboard - Asus H97 Pro -9000,
  • PSU - Seasonic M12II 520 EVO Edition -5900,
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8GBx2) 1600Mhz-6600,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB -4500,
  • HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB -4000,
  • Cabinet - Corsair SPEC-03 -4300,
  • Monitor - LG 23EA53V 23" LED IPS - 10000.
  • Total - 64,300.

Processor - I dont think I need hyperthreading
PSU - CoolerMaster is Gold Plus rated. This one seems to be Bronze. Is Seasonic better than CoolerMaster?
RAM - I think dual channel is better than 2 single channel
SSD - Again is Samsung better than Adata?

Processor - I dont think I need hyperthreading
PSU - CoolerMaster is Gold Plus rated. This one seems to be Bronze. Is Seasonic better than CoolerMaster?
SSD - Again is Samsung better than Adata?

Long run - Xeon >> i7 or skip to i5
SSD - Samsung >>>> Adata
Next best choice should be Crucial BX100( Better endurance ratings than Samsung 850)

SSD - Samsung >>>> Adata
Next best choice should be Crucial BX100( Better endurance ratings than Samsung 850)

Okay I will go with the Samsung SSD. Would I be needing an after market cooler for Xeon or will stock cooler suffice?

SSD - Samsung >>>> Adata

ADATA SP610 (not 600 which is crap) is based on the silicon motion SM2246EN controller (same controller and flash as the crucial BX100) and is a damn good drive for the money.

I have a 512GB drive in my primary rig and it is working great for the last one year. 550MB/s reads, 450-460MB/s writes and good 4k random reads. I have an 850 EVO in another machine and in real terms there's virtually no difference between the two.

Apart from ECC support, how is the Xeon significantly better (>>) than the i7? My understanding is that its a more economical i7, since i7 prices are close to 25k. Whether the Xeon price is accurate is another question mark?

Since the OP is setting up a gaming rig, I'm not sure the slower clocks + hyper-threading on the Xeon will be better than the higher core clocks on the i5.

Gold/Bronze rating is only for efficiency, and does not mean anything else. That being said the Coolermaster looks like a tweaked FSP Aurum, and it doesn't look like they've skimped on part quality, so should be a good buy too.

2 sticks will run in dual channel mode.

Apart from ECC support, how is the Xeon significantly better (>>) than the i7? My understanding is that its a more economical i7, since i7 prices are close to 25k. Whether the Xeon price is accurate is another question mark?

One major benefit of the Xeon is that the inbuilt gpu is from the P series and it can be virtualized in vSphere and similar hypervisors. This is not possible on the i5/i7 CPUs. This might matter to some. There is no ECC support on LGA1150 afaik.

The rest of the parts seem decent for the money.

Since the OP is setting up a gaming rig, I'm not sure the slower clocks + hyper-threading on the Xeon will be better than the higher core clocks on the i5.

I have been looking at Xeon E3-1231 v3 and it looks god for my purpose. I am thinking of running this system 24/7 though not under workload all the time.Primeabgb doesn't list this processor. Does anyone know for what price this is sold here?

Gold/Bronze rating is only for efficiency, and does not mean anything else. That being said the Coolermaster looks like a tweaked FSP Aurum, and it doesn't look like they've skimped on part quality, so should be a good buy too.
Yes I know that, I was asking if they have better after service than Seasonic.

2 sticks will run in dual channel mode.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be recommending Seasonic for PSU so I will go with it. Can you recommend one? I am not able to find Seasonic M12II 520 EVO Edition online. Will it be compatible with Asus Strix Gtx 980?

I have been looking at Xeon E3-1231 v3 and it looks god for my purpose. I am thinking of running this system 24/7 though not under workload all the time.Primeabgb doesn't list this processor. Does anyone know for what price this is sold here?

Do call up Primeabgb and check, it I saw the Xeon E3-1231 v3 on display behind where Vaibhav sits on my last visit

Back