Ganguly to retire after Australia Tests

2kewl

Disciple
Cricinfo - Ganguly to retire after Australia Tests

Cricinfo staff

October 7, 2008

Sourav Ganguly has announced he will retire after the upcoming Test series against Australia.

"This will be my last series," said Ganguly at the end of a routine press conference in Bangalore. "Before coming here I spoke to my team-mates and hopefully I will go out with a winning knock."

Ganguly, 36, has scored 6888 runs in 109 Tests, with 15 hundreds. He played 49 Tests as captain, the most by an Indian. The 21 matches won during his tenure is also an Indian record, and his win percentage of over 40 is the highest for players who have captained India in more than one Test. Starting with a hundred on debut, Ganguly's Test average has never dipped below 40.

Kris Srikkanth, head of India's new selection panel, said Ganguly had made the right decision. "I think Sourav Ganguly has been an excellent player," he said. "He has brought so many laurels as captain and player.

There used to be a time when i loved cricket..it was when ganguly was captain..Now it just sucks..

We'l miss you dada..Loved your sixes..

^^ Sad! But it had to happen sometime...Although the BCCI has never given the respect that Ganguly deserves. He's been treated like dirt.

Would love to quote Rahul Dravid here!

On the off-side, first there is God, then there is Ganguly

Hope Dada signs off in style!

2kewl said:
^^ Sad! But it had to happen sometime...Although the BCCI has never given the respect that Ganguly deserves. He's been treated like dirt.

Would love to quote Rahul Dravid here!

Hope Dada signs off in style!

second that, i m sure he will.

Nice :) He should have taken this decision earlier .. Cricketer once gets selected to play at International level think that he will rule till death :p Sachin should do something similar soon :)

I don't wanna be part of a debate that its right decision or wrong or whatever.. I dont care.

My favourite player of Indian Team..

Will miss Dada... Yup Sixes from him were just awesome

2 more years of continous sachin advertisements throughout the match long after he has been dimissed for a low score :O damn :(.

The Alchemist said:
Awesome!..i wish this inspires sachin.

and to think tht we won the CB series becoz of him in Jan.....IMO Sachin is much better than all the Raina's and Uthappa's of the world....

i will just like to quote something,

All i can hope is that Dada forgets that it is his last series and does what he does best...Get out there and get into the skin of the aussies...What Tendulkar lacked but no one will admit, you provided to a nation of a billion...Today and for the years to come Dada, and I can speak on behalf of the fans of India, you will be remebered and loved for what you were...And I give you the biggest salutation by saying that Indian Cricket has only produced one such other cricketer, Sachin...

Posted by Manhar-Toronto on October 07 2008, 14:43 PM GMT

I loved ganguly more than any other cricketer in the fab 5, i am too disappointed at his retiring, but this acc to me was even his last opportunity. He was A class player, and i wish he goes out with at least 2 centuries, and alas there is always IPL. I respect him loads. The best captain india has ever produced in the last 20 years. Ganguly, we all love u.

Freefrag said:
yipee :p.......

We all love u except for some morons like Freerag.

j/k

Back