Gas replacement in AC

raksrules

Elite
Our 1 tonne voltas AC is about 1.5 years old. It doesn't seem to be cooling as well as before. We ever have contract of quarterly servicing and the guy who came last week told me that mostly gas needs replacement.
Can anyone tell me if that may be most probable reason of not very efficient cooling and how much does it usually costs to replace the gas?

Our 1 tonne voltas AC is about 1.5 years old. It doesn't seem to be cooling as well as before. We ever have contract of quarterly servicing and the guy who came last week told me that mostly gas needs replacement.
Can anyone tell me if that may be most probable reason of not very efficient cooling and how much does it usually costs to replace the gas?
Gas need replacement ? Now this is some new technology, This guy is just trying me make a quick money from your pocket. You can check yourself if your AC needs gas or not. 1.While running check of there is ice accumulated on the indoor coil 2. Put the temperature on 16 and See if the outdoor cuts off.

Last edited:

take a 2nd opinion if you feel. gas leakage could be the reason

Pretty trivial thing but have you tried cleaning the dust filters?

Our ac needs cleaning of dust filters every 2 weeks otherwise cooling gets affected a lot.

1 tonne voltas AC is about 1.5 years old.
this entire gas replacement thing is pure bs, specially if its never been re-installed, and 1.5yr period is too little time for gas filling.

Not directly related to your problem, but once during general maintenance of my 8+yrs old ac, the guys asked to refill gas, charged around 2.8k for the gas.

Right after that, my AC would occasionally trip entire homes' electricity for about 15 second, while its entering the auto-cut mode.
Initially we though its actual electrical power-cut, but later we figured out its the AC which is taking our MCB/RCCB ( or whatever those called) for a trip.

we called for ac service again, and he given us 12-15k estimation, like compressors or main board issue, i took time to think if i want to repair it to get a new one.
luckily i did a search about the problem and came to know that it could be excess gas pressure. i called another local ac guy to check the pressure and it was way, way above the limits ( if i remember the numbers correctly it was over 120psi, where as acceptable limit was around 70).
He drained the excessive gas, and the ac came back to normal function.

so when you call for the service please get the pressure checked ( probable search for the ideal pressure for your model online - for 1t ac i guess ideal is 65psi).
there could be other reasons for not cooling, raise an issue with voltas as its almost new, 1.5yr age of ac is nothing they are build to last decades( if its not inverter type).

If gas deficit is really an issue, then have him check the power consumption using clamp meter and note the Ampere readings. If it is less than the stated Ampere reading by the company, the system is having less refrigerant.
Also, I think they have some scheme wherein payment of ₹599 after every 2 years for maintainence covers everything. Frankly, gas leak within 1.5 yrs is difficult to believe unless you got a lemon.

Back