Graphic Cards Gateway P6860-fx garbled display

Hey guys,
I'm posting after a long long time, so please let me know in case I break any rules.

Ok, I got a P6860-fx in 2008 ( Specs:Gateway Support - P-6860 FX Notebook Specifications )

Initially after the first year it started shutting down because of overheating... but around late last year, it started shutting down randomly, without me even running a game.

To make things worse, now it has started showing me a garbled display, and when i try to login to windows vista, it gives me a 'activation error' :huh:

First things first though, I know that a garbled display generally means an issue with the graphics card.... but I thought Id take an expert opinion from the folks here first.

This is what my display looks like :

This is not a dual display feature or anything :S

After a bit of googling, I found this :
How to fix messed up laptop graphics? - Yahoo! Answers

Now, my question is what should I do next? Should I try to open the laptop up using a disassembly guide available on the net for this model?
Is this issue because of overheating due to dust accumulation (which is a common problem in gateway P series models)?

Do i take it for repair, if so, whom do you guys recommend?

Loads of questions and a lot of anxiety, as this is my favourite laptop. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back