Storage Solutions Get the right WD10EACS 1TB GP HDD !!

Eazy

Skilled
In May 2008 WD quietly changed the 1TB GP HDD from a 4 platter design to a 3 platter one, the new 3 platter drives have a 333GB data density per platter as against 250GB per platter in the 4 platter version. The 3 platter versions run cooler and faster.

If you want a 3 platter 1TB WD GP drive, the serial number starts out like this "WCAU" - I got one of these a couple days back from PrimeABGB in Mumbai

I got this info from -

techPowerUp! News :: Western Digital Quietly Moves to 334GB HDD Platters on 1TB Caviar GP Drive

Here are some model numbers for the 3 and 4 platter versions of this HDD.

3 platter:

WD10EACS-65D6B0

-00D6B0

-00D6B1

4 platter:

WD10EACS-00ZJB0

-32ZJB0

-00C7B0

^ this info is from - Western Digital WD10EACS-00ZJB0 vs WD10EACS-32ZJB0 - [H]ard|Forum

Someone asked WD about differentiating between GP revisions and got this reply:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

There is no way to guarantee a certain number of platters in a drive. We do not keep track of what serial numbers have how many platters. It depends on what materials where available during the production run of that particular lot of drives.

It seems that WD even now make some batches of these 1TB HDDs with 4 platters :(

An HDTach test on the WD10EACS I bought -

hdtachiu3.jpg

I have two WD10EACS-00ZJB0 brought in February 2008 & one WD10EACS-0D6B0 brought in September 2008

The WD10EACS-00ZJB0's serial number start with WCAS & the WD10EACS-0D6B0 serial number starts with WCAU

WD10EACS-00ZJB0 #1 (6.85GB Free)

WD10EACS-00ZJB0 #2 (166GB Free)

WD10EACS-0D6B0 (250GB Free)

cool1 said:
for how much ?

6425/- ...... I just now spoke to Gulbir of Prime and he said he is trying to get a lower price.

@Udit - these new 1TB GP's are really nice. :)

@stalker - there should be a noticeable difference in the weights of these 2 types of drives, it may be possible to make out the difference easily. :)

sTALKEr said:
wouldn't weight give it away?

one can't really go to a comp shop with a weighing balance in hand though :p

My 2-platter 640AAKS and 4-platter 10EACS weigh about the same. I can't tell the difference, nor can my weighing scale. Of course the latter doesn't have the resolution to weigh things like that anyway - it measures in whole kilos and gets confused below 1kg.

I bought a 10EACS just today, my second one, and it's formatting right now. It was manufactured two days before the one I had earlier, funny as that sounds. I'm almost 100% sure it's the 4-platter version (made in July) but I'm looking for cool and quiet over speed so I don't mind the hit anyway.

Oh, and both are the ZJB0 drives.

Sorry for digging up this old thread... but I'm thinking of purchasing this particular drive in the near future...

Is there any new way I ensure that I get the 3 platter version?

Back