Getting a mid range gaming PC, what should I get?

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
  1. What is your budget?

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core2Duo E4600 2.4GHz

• Motherboard - Abit IP35-e

• GPU - Palit 9800GT 512MB DDR3

• RAM - GSkill Pi Black 2x2GB 800MHz

• Monitor - Viewsonic VA1912w (poor :()

• SMPS - POV Black Diamond 500w

• Harddisk - WD 1TB + WD 500GB

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - ViewSonic VA1912w

• HDD - WD 1TB + WD 500GB

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3 3.06GHz

• Motherboard - Suggest me one

• GPU - Radeon R5770

• RAM - 2x2GB DDR3 (performance series)
    • PSU - Corsair GS600
    • PSU + Cabinet suitable for above config.
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Will decide after 6-7 months or more.
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online Purchases
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Application Development, Web development, Graphics Design

• HTPC
    • Watching Movies

• Video Editing
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • NO SUCH.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Hot Pursuit, COD - Black Ops, COD MW2 etc.

• Other online games such as CS:S, TF2 etc.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1440x900

2. Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • NO
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Ubuntu

Components Name Price

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 6300

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H 5400

GPU MSI HD6850 10250

RAM Corsair XMS3 2*2GB DDR3 2600

PSU Corsair VX550W 4700

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2000

Total Around 30K

1. Proccy - AMD Phenom II X4 955BE >> Intel i3 540. 6MB L3 Cache.

2. Motherboard - Its a great board. Of if you can extend your budget a little then grab Asrock 890GX Extreme3 @ 7.2k. Choked with features. Worth every penny.

3. GPU - MSI HD6850. `Nuff said.

4. RAM - DDR5 rams? :O

5. PSU - Corsair VX550W.

6. Cabinet - NZXT Gamma or you can get CM Elite 310 with sidepanel @ 1.85k

• PhenomII X4 955 only 6.25k now :)
  • Go for the VX550 since it has 5 years warranty against the Seasonic's 3 yrs
  • Go for the Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H~5.5k since its a ATX mobo and costs only ~Rs.200 more than the MSI 880GMA-E45
  • Consider the MSI HD6850 ~ 10.25k as there was a mighty confusion about Sapphire's warranty peroid and Aditya refusing a members card (2.2 yrs old) saying Sapphire has only 2 yrs parts warranty. A dealer had posted a letter from Aditya saying its 3 yrs full warranty but i would take a risk unless some real case scenario threads come up confirming the same.

DarkAngel said:
  • Go for the Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H~5.5k since its a ATX mobo and costs only ~Rs.200 more than the MSI 880GMA-E45
  • Consider the MSI HD6850 ~ 10.25k as there was a mighty confusion about Sapphire's warranty peroid and Aditya refusing a members card (2.2 yrs old) saying Sapphire has only 2 yrs parts warranty. A dealer had posted a letter from Aditya saying its 3 yrs full warranty but i would take a risk unless some real case scenario threads come up confirming the same.

+1 for every point. :p

Post updated.

How i wish , i would have got this config 3 months back with these prices :/ ... my bad luck .... would have saved a hell lotta money for the same requirements .... anyways, the config is totally wort it !!! +1 xtech

DarkAngel said:
Hi Darkangel,

Where are these prices from? I was unable to find Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions Xtech, DarkAngel.. So, if I think about overclocking in future, will this motherboard provide me better overclocking or do I have to get a solid motherboard for OC?

Rahulrulez said:
Thanks for your suggestions Xtech, DarkAngel.. So, if I think about overclocking in future, will this motherboard provide me better overclocking or do I have to get a solid motherboard for OC?

U wud b able to take 955BE to 3.8 to 4.0GHz using this mobo...

Most Reviewers said:
No Two Pieces Of Hardware Performs the Same

I would suggest the SMC or TheITWares.
Lynx has stopped selling PC parts in TE. Prime listings are too old and outdated for most parts. They are not registered in TE too.
Shoot a PM to SMC and TheITWares for quotes and get from whoever quotes the lower price for a part.

DarkAngel said:
I would suggest the SMC or TheITWares.

Lynx has stopped selling PC parts in TE. Prime listings are too old and outdated for most parts. They are not registered in TE too.

Shoot a PM to SMC and TheITWares for quotes and get from whoever quotes the lower price for a part.

I bumped into Mr. Gulbir Bhatiar (MD of prime) while purchasing peripherals , he said , due to a bad customer feedback "somewhere" he wasn't thinking of going on forums like TE .... i suggested him to put one of his men in charge of handling such work, even updating prices on his website , hope he does something about it, coz even they have some nice prices unlike quoted on the website, hope they keep the stock and lower their prices even more !!

pratz said:
I bumped into Mr. Gulbir Bhatiar (MD of prime) while purchasing peripherals , he said , due to a bad customer feedback "somewhere" he wasn't thinking of going on forums like TE .... i suggested him to put one of his men in charge of handling such work, even updating prices on his website , hope he does something about it, coz even they have some nice prices unlike quoted on the website, hope they keep the stock and lower their prices even more !!
Yeah. We have to rely on TE lammy price update thread to get an idea of pricing due to the outdated website.

Rahulrulez said:
I am considering to buy monitor too. Will I get HD monitor in 8-9k? If yes, then which one? 22' is fine :)
Benq E2220HD - 8.7k. Has HDMI port.
If you dont need HDMI then Benq G2220HD - 7.4k

Back