Getting DATA-ONE ,any suggestions?

undertaker

Skilled
Well I live in a god-forsaken place where only BSNL has a good scheme.Have taken the Home 500 to party till June.Will get the conn next week(got someone of 'jaan-pehchaan' in the local BSNL office).Any suggestions?I have opted to buy the modem outright.Will it be compatible with Airtel(expected by July over here)?
Any thing to look out for?I have not opted to get it installed by their babus.
By the way,the Bali cable that I use (any one in ghazibad must be familiar with Bali cable aka bcnet and its useless admin TKM-Tapan Kumar Mad******d) which still have plans like 64k that too shared for 990 p.m.!!!)sucks big time.

undertaker said:
Have taken the Home 500 to party till June.Will get the conn next week(got someone of 'jaan-pehchaan' in the local BSNL office).Any suggestions?
Hmm.., the party will get over if u dont register before 31th of this month ..., hurry up and register soon. :eek:hyeah:

undertaker said:
I have opted to buy the modem outright.Will it be compatible with Airtel(expected by July over here)?
No, Airtel uses a USB modem which BSNL dont. We need a ethernet card and there with airtel u just need a USB port in ur computer.

undertaker said:
Any thing to look out for?I have not opted to get it installed by their babus.
Wht do u u mean by anthing to look out for?
And yes, we can install by our own and thats not the big deal!

ya id join fast,quit after june :p .shift to another unltd connection somewhere .btw my firends just gotit .downloaded 1 gb in one night ! but FYI: it gets disconnecedted it seems.

drgrudge said:
No, Airtel uses a USB modem which BSNL dont. We need a ethernet card and there with airtel u just need a USB port in ur computer.

There are 2 types of modems. I think the Airtel unltd package makes use of an ethernet card as well. and the data transfer limited packs use a USB modem. or is it the otherway round? not sure though.

well my experience is quite different from those who have dataone.
i get a speed abt 25 to 35kb/s download from most http sites.
but downloads from rapidhhare are quite exception only 2-7kbps

and then data rate from p2p networks such as limewire,kaazaa,dc++ all sucks.

TheMask said:
There are 2 types of modems. I think the Airtel unltd package makes use of an ethernet card as well. and the data transfer limited packs use a USB modem. or is it the otherway round? not sure though.
Hmm... i have come across the ethernet card modem of Airtel here in chennai , many of my friends have airtel connection all of then use only USB port modem.
And yes, i get 6-8 KBps on rapidshare thing but normal 29-33 kBps on P2P and other downloads. :eek:hyeah:

Hmm.. the modem is UT- 300 R ADSL modem.

Yes, it will be compactible with linux as well..., it say any system with network interface Card (NIC) configured in it.

Even then,for 500 bucks getting 256k with a 1gb cap aint bad.I can go for the 1200 business plan after that.An yes seeing the fall in intl bandwidth prices the govt may direct BSNL/MTNL to slash rates/inrease limits further.

Hey Doc, What if I don't have a BSNL landline, and don't really need one for voice communication....
Can i opt just for the Data plan and chuck the voice plan altogether...and in that case, do i need to pay only 662/- or more?

1GB...thts why i refrained frm Data one

i currently hav the 500rs dedicated internet line frm BSNL and Sify 3 months unltd pack(runs dry in 2 months :eek:hyeah: ) much cheaper option, plus unlimited connection.....

i get arnd 5.4KBps const in Ares....

yea, but what aboutt he other stuff, like online play and stuff man, whatever u say, nothing beats bband, not even my dumb a$$ cable

well..how many ppl here play online??? or how many ppl with dial up wish to play online?? i dont :bleh:

Back