Getting kindle from amazon store.

Has anyone from India bought kindle 3 from amazon store? What is the custom duty and how much time it takes to arrive here? And also regarding the device, is it too small to enjoy reading on it ? I am not going to read pdfs and comics on it, just plain text.

I bought the Kindle 3 from the amazon UK store but had it brought down via a friend. Text readibility is awesome and the 3G works are promised! The experimental web browser works just fine in India and you can browse all you want for free! All in all, I find it an awesome device.

The only thing I'm not too happy about is the lack of books on the Kindle store. A lot of books such as the Harry Potter series, novels by Orhan Pamuk and Gabriel Garcia Marquez are not available on the Kindle store. That plain sucks :(

@tejinderss: Kindle's a great device for reading device on, no issues there.

@tracerbullet: Mostly publisher/author issues there. I think JKR refused to make HP avl as ebooks for example...

tracerbullet said:
I bought the Kindle 3 from the amazon UK store but had it brought down via a friend.

Thread bump with doubt: Did your friend have any issues at customs when carrying the Kindle through?

Kindle is very costly and their books too.. I was also planning to buy one but now I will use paper book/PDA until kindle is affordable..

I bought it through Amazon and they delivered within a week. It is no doubt a bit costly. However you can order the wifi only version. You can also order from shopyourworld. Should cost you less than 12K (all inclusive) I think.

My friend ordered directly from Amazon. Cost him Rs 9.5k all inclusive. But he ordered the $139 model i.e. only Wi-Fi.

See, ebooks at Amazon cost in the range of $6 to $9 for most of the fiction books. Sometimes, there are bargains/discounts and sometimes, they give you a book for free even (if you keep an eye on it of course). Prices of Physical books in India depend on where you get them from. For example, a John Grisham latest would cost about 400 at landmark/flipkart, and the ebook version would be about $9. In US, there is a lot of difference in pricces of physical and ebooks. I have seen some physical books costing about $25 and the same ebook would cost $9, both at Amazon. In india, however, the situation is different.

Back