Getting PC Peripherals From USA

Kamcoolin

Disciple
Hi

I'm planning to Buy a New System NXt Month,so for that,i checked online ,the prices of some products is quite cheap in USA ,compared to India .
So a friend of mine is supposed to come Nxt here from USA ,what are the Products that can be brought buy him hassle free ,without any customs issue and ny other issues.I mean he should not worry,as to why he bought it for me I was planning to get
1. GSKill 2*2Gb 1066Mhz RAM
2.Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb GPU

Is it easier get them from there or here ?

Wht else can i get from there ?? for building my PC ??
Wht abt Processor ,is it advisable to get it from there ?

unless there is a huge price saving, you should consider buying it in india with local warranty. if something goes wrong with your graphics card for example, you'll be screwed without an indian warranty.

Some manufacturers offer international warranties. Will wait for others to post here exactly which ones.

IMO, the cost savings when getting stuff from the US usually are worth taking the risk of being stuck without warranty. I've had both GPUs and RAM brought in the past and havent had much trouble. But again it's your call.

Yeah, considering that you can afford "premium" items as far as aam janata is concerned it is better to go for local stuff. Check out the dealer section and wait for some decent deals as they come.

chiron said:
Yeah, considering that you can afford "premium" items as far as aam janata is concerned it is better to go for local stuff. Check out the dealer section and wait for some decent deals as they come.

Its not about Affording :) these things ,its just that they are not easily available here in Hyderabad
Cost comparision -G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
in
Hyd -Not Available,
USA -abt 3200/- INR

For SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB
In Hyd -Abt 10000/-
In USA -abt 7800/-

So its jus that they are not available and they are cheap over there.

Nyway back to the Topic ,so its just an issue of Warranty ,other than that .
would it be cool to get them from there ?

^Minus the probability of charging customs for the imported stuff + shipping freight + the chance that the product shipped is DOA + getting conked off over a brief period of usage, I see no reason why someone should stop you over getting it from the US!

Your call! ;)

Gannu said:
^ Minus the probability of charging customs for the imported stuff + shipping freight + the chance that the product shipped is DOA + getting conked off over a brief period of usage, I see no reason why someone should stop you over getting it from the US!

Your call! ;)

His fren's getting it na. Why would he pay customs and shipping freight? (am assuming he will be going through the green channel) Customs shouldnt be an issue for total value of imports less than 25k (somebody please correct me if I am wrong about the amount)

Gannu said:
^Minus the probability of charging customs for the imported stuff + shipping freight + the chance that the product shipped is DOA + getting conked off over a brief period of usage, I see no reason why someone should stop you over getting it from the US!

Your call! ;)

+ the bloated size of a gfx card box :D

^^ Good point actually.

@OP - In case you are getting someone to bring in your stuff (specially a GPU) ask them to ditch the external cardboard box. My GPU had another smaller cardboard box inside (not sure if its the same with all GPUs) which my friend could carry without too much trouble.

^Not a big deal IMO. My friend had gotten me the 8800GTX which was valued at 26k with the bill (2007 June i.e) and he casually walked thru the green channel without a fuss. Lol thats's not the point here.

^^
What other customs and shipping were you referring to in your post then?

And technically what your friend did was smuggling, something am sure you wouldnt be advocating in a public forum.

Vulc4n said:
^^ Good point actually.

@OP - In case you are getting someone to bring in your stuff (specially a GPU) ask them to ditch the external cardboard box. My GPU had another smaller cardboard box inside (not sure if its the same with all GPUs) which my friend could carry without too much trouble.
Yeah ,would tell him the same thing.No Box .
So i shuld order Then,where can i get best deals in USA ?
Is Newegg the best ,i just checked that and buy.com

Kamcoolin said:
Yeah ,would tell him the same thing.No Box .
So i shuld order Then,where can i get best deals in USA ?
Is Newegg the best ,i just checked that and buy.com

Again, your call. But I for one never miss an opportunity to burden a friend coming over from the US :eek:hyeah: If you do decide to buy check out pricegrabber.com or some such price comparison website. Sometimes newegg is not the cheapest around (though they usually are). Amazon sometimes has some nice deals going (specially with their free shipping thing).

Best of luck.

if prices are significantly affected, then go for stuff from US... no custom issues i think coz my sister bought me a gfx card from US a few months back , no problems...

Back