Getting phone from UK.. Deal or No deal!!!

sonofpoi

Disciple
Hi Friends,

I am thinking to buy a new phone n one of my friend is going to UK.
How good is it to get a phone from UK?
Would there be a major difference in the Price if i get a phone it from there??

I am interested in the following phones (listed based on priority):
Samsung Galaxy S
Iphone 4
Sony Xperia X10
HTC Desire

Please suggest me if i should get any these from UK.

Phones in UK are sold with contracts and locked to operators.

Even if he manages to find one cheaper it would not have

warranty in India. Search on ebay UK and Google UK

shopping site to find unlocked pieces. If he is lucky he may

get a bargain.

Getting an iPhone 4 with VAT refund at the airport would be lot cheaper compared to the current gray market prices in India.Also the phones are factory unlocked in UK if buying from Apple store.

anybody has idea how much difference would it make if i get an Iphone 4 or Galaxy S from UK as compared to India..

If its just 1-2 k then i would prefer getting these from here only.

In general, electronic items more or less cost the same in the UK as compared to India. So, unless you can source this stuff from the US, you'd be better off buying this in India itself.

am working for orange uk. cellphone prices are very cheap if u buy a locked one, if u really want it ONLY FROM UK
1) Select a phone online
2) Buy it from UK
3) Unlock the networks from online or from any shop from UK = 5 pounds only and if u unlock it from the network provider it takes minimum 21 days and atleast 20 pounds for the code (unlocking from shops in india is not a good idea and costly) and i indirectly used to tell the customer to get it unlocked from outside.
4) Don't buy the codes online coz usually they don't work and part money is refunded
This is what the orange customers = orange.co.uk

sonofpoi said:
anybody has idea how much difference would it make if i get an Iphone 4 or Galaxy S from UK as compared to India..

If its just 1-2 k then i would prefer getting these from here only.
The iPhone 4 would be atleast 4-5k cheaper since you'd be getting a Factory Unlocked one. It's 499 GBP = 35,826 IRS with the current exchange rate from XE.com. If your friend manages to get the VAT refund, that's another 15% (A little less than that cause there's a service charge or something) or so that you manage to save on that price. Good deal IMO as opposed to the local prices of 43K IRS or so for the Factory Unlocked 16GB's.

Just got update from friend. Iphone 4 for 400 GBP :O and Samsung Galaxy S for 430 GBP :O..

I dont believe it.. even the Apple site says 499 for Iphone 4 and as techno_guy already mentioned SGS would be cheaper in India (I agree with you buddy)..
I have asked my friend to check again and from some other shops as well to confirm the pricing!!

If i really get the Iphone for 400.. I will go for Iphone ;) even though i dont like it much as compared to SGS.

@Amaresh - I agree the electronics are way cheaper if we can get it from US... but wat to do.. no friend is holidaying in US at the moment :)

@Unrealistic/FaH33m - How do you get the VAT refund??

^ You need to show your purchase invoice and fill out a form at the airport while returning to back to India.Goggle for VAT Refund UK and read the complete regulations on the official site :)

It is really good deal if you are purchasing for iPhone 4 or Galaxy S as explained above. Especially iPhone 4 as India will not get unlocked version in near future. VAT refund is a simple thing. The other two cost less in India as far I know.

Well seems i would go for Samsung Galaxy S from India only..
Dont like Iphone 4 much (even when i am getting a nice deal from UK).

Any idea what would be the best deal for SGS in Delhi??

Back