PC Peripherals Getting shock from PC

koolkart

Disciple
dint know where to most this........plzz help me......today when i accidentally touched the moniter screen ( 793s CRT )......it gave an electric shock....to my shock......i just wanted to check and i touched the metal part of the cabinet ( the backside covering ).......and was hit hard with a shock......to make sure i used a tester to check and electric current was indeed flowing through the cabinet ( the metal part ) as well as the moniter screen surface.......now i'm not much of an electric expert........could somebody help me .....wats wrong......i mean is it the PSU the cabinet or my plug point.......oh by the way i'm not using a UPS......is this the reason........i'm totally confused.......the system is running fine though......is this going to affect my system.....i mean toast the components........i have a 8800 320 GPU......i cant risk losing it to electricity......plzzzzzz help guys:huh: :huh: :huh:

looks like your power socket has not been earthed. call an electrician as soon as you can

and please avoid posting with all those dots

Do you have earthing done in your home? Ask your electrician and get this fixed. Can be pretty harmful to your sys and HDDs.

I have the exact same problem with my comp. The Anteck SLK3000B cabinet as well as the screen of my Samsung 793MB always give me a shock whenever I touch them and have direct contact with the floor.

Have been using it this way for 2-3 years now and have never faced any problem whatsoever. Whats more, I stay in Bihar which means constant electricity fluctuations and there are always transfers from main line to generator to inverter etc. throughout the day.

Guess its pure dumb luck. But better safe than sorry. It surely increases the probability of something getting fried.

surely, ur electric connection is not properly ' earthed'.ask some electrician to check if the 'earth' is properly connected or not.i'm almost sure that the problem will be resolved after that.

First check if you're using a 3-pin power cord for both your system and monitor. If yes, then call an electrician in and have your earthing checked. Most power strips have a built-in earthing checker. If there's no earthing or your live and neutral are reversed then the status LEDs light up, telling you the problem.

Man, every PC component is highly vulnerable to improper grounding. And it damages to a large extent.
The biggest thing that can happen is a burnt Mobo & ur VGA card if it draws power(in ur case it does). And the problem u stated is due to improper ground coz i had faced this in past.
Just ask any electrician to check the ground. If he says it's fine, don't agree coz many say. Call someone else but get it fixed asap. And ya, don't switch it on. Wht take a risk with such a beautiful card. :hap2:
Anyway, it won't hurt so much to go a day without ur PC.:)

SledgeHammer said:
Yesterday, smoke came out out of my cousin's computer. Seems to be like that the SMPS has busted.

may b smps is smoking :rofl:
but for koolkart surely its earthing problem :) if me not wrong den earthing also dissipates the extra current dat comes to the device :ashamed:

Back