Graphic Cards GFX Card at ~18K

bookoon

Disciple
Hi
Time to dig for the GFX card. Although I was considering ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB GDDR5 , it seems from discussions on several threads, that 660 might be a better bet.
Now "better" is a very relative term...:). .. I am also considering Gigabyte AMD/ATI GV-R7870OC-2GD 2 GB GDDR5.

Now, among computer components, GFX card is the least I know about. So I am fully dependent on you folks for this. I want to play most of the games in a 'decent' resolution. I hope this card can withstand the demands of most of the games in next few years.
Please advise on the PSU along with the GFX card you recommend. I am also listing down the PC components for calculation of PSU requirement; hope I did not miss anything.

Core i5 3450
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
2*Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB
160 GB internal HDD
320 GB internal HDD
120GB Samsung SSD
(Plan to have a 2GB internal HDD very soon)
1TB WD external HDD
(Will Add one more)
Asus DVD writer
(Plan to have a blue Ray drive sometime)
DELL U2412 24 inch Ultra Sharp LED
Internal Card reader
3 x 120mm fans
CM k380 Cabinet... yet to receive this from SnapDeal :banghead:
CPU Cooler.. probably Cooler Master V6GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1
APC Backup UPS Pro-1000

if all goes right.. I will order for the card and PSU by 25th of this month :)

1.Core i5 3450
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

2.(Plan to have a 2GB internal HDD very soon)

3.CPU Cooler.. probably Cooler Master V6GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1

1.You posted an intel proccy and an AMD mobo!
2.GB or TB (typo i guess)
3.Are you posting what you have or what you are about buy!

Hi sasikanth8...
Thanks, my friend!... I guess it was too late for me in the night to post the thread :) and i was half asleep.
1. the MOBO is GIGABYTE-B75-D3H
2. 2 TB.. yess
3. I have got all of the components, except the ones i have written "will buy soon/ probably". :oldman:. I need the GFX card and PSU to wrap up for now.

Actually I am upgrading my six-seven yr old PC part by part..in first phase i replaced the CPU, MOBO and Ram. The cabinet was next, but it got stalled, thanks to Snapdeal.. hopefully will get it this week.

I own a Gigaybte B75M-D3h with an Intel core i5 3550 cpu and 16gb ddr3 Gskill 1600 mhz ram from the Sniper series. I replaced my Ati 5850 with a used Nvidia 660ti. The 7870 is a very good card you've listed however for 1k-1.5k more look for the 7870xt (from powercolor or sapphire) as it performs almost like a 7950 for a whole lot less. get a good 80+ smps (corsair vx550/tx650) for the whole system.

Hi sunny27 . Thanks for writing in.
So i guess I should not consider 650ti at all, correct? The budget is slowing balloooooning..:depressed:

I am glad that you have recommend tx650, since that is the same one i had shortlisted.
it is available at Flipkart and also at Techshop.in. it is about 600Rs cheaper in techshop, including shipping charges, than Flipkart. Can you please have a look and check if both are same . I just got a few CPU fans (from CM) from Techshop.in and the delivery is pretty fast with competitive pricing. Good part is that if you pay by bank transfer/ cheque they give your more discount.

yes the smps is the same. However if you're based at Mumbai, Delhi or Bangalore you could get the smps cheaper at the local computer markets in the respective cities.
If you want to stick to the budget of 10-11k consider the Ati 7850 over the Nvidia 650ti.

Thanks sunny27;
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB DDR5 XT With Boost Edition, is going way over my head and budget. :confused:
I need to stick to a value of around 15k..max to 18k... (no more space to go up :) ).. actually the 3m/6m emi scheme ongoing on sanpdeal site allowed me to push the budget from 15k to 18k :cigar:.. let me know if you have any further opinion.

^ that one is tahiti based card so its costly.
In your budget you can buy this
http://www.theitdepot.com/details-G...+Graphics+Card+(GV-R787OC-2GD)_C45P17644.html

Thanks sasikanth8
Unfortunately I could not open the link.. probably the site is down. found a similar one on snapdeal/ flipkart. Pl have a look Sapphire HD7870 OC 2GB DDR5 or Gigabyte AMD/ATI GV-R7870OC-2GD 2 GB GDDR5. (---added---The gigabyte one costs Rs 16244 after 10% discount at flipkart. Is this the same one you had pointed out at itdepot site?)
I am still looking at some more sites and will update you.. or rather give you folks some choices to zero on :).
As I said i am not going to order before 20th (credit card is already flooding in this month :bag: )

get a good 80+ smps (corsair vx550/tx650) for the whole system.
I am glad that you have recommend tx650, since that is the same one i had shortlisted.
VX550 has long been discontinued. TX650 has been updated and the new variants have poor components like the GS series : www.techenclave.com/community/threads/caution-about-corsairs-tx-series-v2-discontinued-models-updated-again.147547/. Look for the HX650.

Edit: Looking at your specs, your rig will probably have a ~200W power draw + 200W for the 7870. You can get an S12II 520 or an Antec VP550P in that case.

Thanks for the heads up Crazy_Eddy
i will check the availability of HX650. Can you share a link which has comparisons of these models, just for my knowledge?.. probably i wouldn't understand half of it anyway :rolleyes: .
I would like to keep a 100W headroom since I am not sure what I am going to add in next few years...probably another GFX card ?! :D

(In the words you understand)HX series is higher efficient series than TX series. AX>HX>TX
Another option Seasonic S12II 620 for low budget and you can check Seasonic M12 for better efficiency.
You must change your motherboard if you want to SLI/Xfire because the one you have wont support SLI.

Thanks sasikanth8.
I got it now.. i will order for it today.---added--- ordered from Snapdeal
For now I will forget Xfire/ SLI then... may be after a few years I will need to change the MOBO/ CPU anyway :)

Gigabyte specs say it supports Crossfire, but no SLI. Although the 2nd slot is a PCI-E 4x (v2.0) slot, so the 2nd card might struggle for bandwidth.

Better efficiency is only a side effect of a better PSU, and should never be used as a selection point. There are 80+ Gold rated units that are not as good as 80+ Bronze units. The design and quality of components improves as you go up the chain. With the TX and below there is a huge drop in component quality.

Hi Crazy_Eddy and sasikanth8
Thanks for helping me on this. I hope to receive the PSU, HX650, by early next week.

Now to go back to the GFX card aspect. How are XFX cards, in general? My local vendor is pushing the card instead of gigabyte.. probably he is making more profit out of it :)

Gigabyte seems to be cool and quite than other cards thats why i recommended it.
If vendors are pushing something ask them the reason for it.
Sometimes they suggest brands just for profit, but may be they are experiencing less problems(RMA) with some models.

Gigabyte seems to be cool and quite than other cards thats why i recommended it.
If vendors are pushing something ask them the reason for it.
Sometimes they suggest brands just for profit, but may be they are experiencing less problems(RMA) with some models.

Thanks sasikanth8 . If you have any further suggestions on 7870OC 2GB DDR5 cards (brand/ model) please let me know. :happy:

Hi sasikanth8 , Crazy_Eddy and all other experts out there
Can you please advice me the card to choose among the four listed in the attached file (taken from Flipkart). All are 7870 OC 2GB DDR5 cards.
XFX is the cheaper one due to 33% discount on MRP. Asus , MSI and Gigabyte are the other card mentioned.

Attachments

• 7870 OC 2GB DDR5 - comparison.pdf
    459.3 KB · Views: 462
Back