Gift Comics subscription for 5 year old.

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
I'm planning to gift a few comics subscriptions to a 5 year old girl. I'm out of the comics loop so dunno what's available to kids these days. Also is it a good idea to gift comics to such a young person. She can read simple 3-4 letter words at the moment. In my observations, kids these days develop reading comprehension a bit late. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I'm open to other-than-books suggestion.

Useless reply probably, but if you can get your hands on a collection of old tinkle digest/mags (like from the 2000s, early 2010s or late 90s mags) those were great. The new tinkle is garbage, absolute garbage, the stories just don't have that old charm anymore. And it's not out of nostalgia either, read the old ones and compare it to the new ones today and you'll see the wide gap in quality.
Reading tinkle when I was young really did cultivate a good reading habit in me. Reading novels when you're under 10 just bores you out, tinkle was just right, not too mature like marvel or dc comics (and was easier to access). Archie comics was fun to read too but maybe a bit too young still for that.

Last edited:
When she becomes a little older probably introduce Asterix and Obelix, then tintin, Old Chandamama was good (I remember waiting for a new issue and asking for it at the A. H. Wheeler stalls on the railway stations). The old Amar Chitra Kathas were also good.

Useless reply probably, but if you can get your hands on a collection of old tinkle digest/mags (like from the 2000s, early 2010s or late 90s mags) those were great.
I'm not sure but I think we can still get older tinkle here > https://india.amarchitrakatha.com/search?q=Tinkle&options[prefix]=last

But first thing, what is tinkle? is it a full comics book or hybrid like Champak? I have never came across it before. Also what about amar chitra katha? I've been seeing it a lot but haven't read it when I was little. Is it a full comics too?

But in any case, if it's comics then I'd rather want to have a subscription instead of gifting a 20 book set.

Illustrated story books:
Amazon.in
This looks awesome.

Activity books like this:
Amazon.in
Yeah, 9 thousand people are going to gift this. :dead:

When she becomes a little older probably introduce Asterix and Obelix, then tintin, Old Chandamama was good (I remember waiting for a new issue and asking for it at the A. H. Wheeler stalls on the railway stations). The old Amar Chitra Kathas were also good.
Yeah, chandoba was great. I think they have closed the shop now.

For a 5 year old, comics like Tinkle are gonna be too much. You should be looking for good illustrated story books with large fonts, small words, and colourful illustrations, if you want the child to attempt reading by herself. More often than not, this is still the age where one of the parents has to be reading out the books to them. Let her get a couple of years older, and then you can introduce her to these comics.

Ladybird has a set of board books called a library, have a look at that.
Thanks. There are many such libraries available online. Some even have Indian context.

Nevertheless, While looking for the library, I found a huge collection from Penguin which is targeted towards such kids. It's amazing. Many of these books which cost above 10 pounds outside are available for like 200 INR.

yeah there are loads of "libraries" ladybird is a well-known kids books publisher.

people stopped buying physical books, so lots of imported books are available for throwaway rates.

people stopped buying physical books.
It's also true for India. In my observation, I find that kids these days have lesser reading comprehension or it is at least developed late. Is it correct? What do you guys think? I was reading kid-novels (apart from comics) like Tarzan, king kong etc when I was 7. I don't think 7-8 year old ones could actually read that today.

It's also true for India. In my observation, I find that kids these days have lesser reading comprehension or it is at least developed late. Is it correct? What do you guys think? I was reading kid-novels (apart from comics) like Tarzan, king kong etc when I was 7. I don't think 7-8 year old ones could actually read that today.
my kids read. made them get into that habit since they were toddlers with board books (that I suggested above). i ensured that they always have books visible & accessible - that's how I grew up :) so a lot depends on us too!

I find that kids these days have lesser reading comprehension or it is at least developed late. Is it correct? What do you guys think?
Kids pick up on the habits of their parents. IMO, it has little to do with any developmental delay or stuff. I have noticed my kid and a few other kids in my friends circle being addicted to reading books. In each case, it is either one or both the parents being voracious readers themselves. Unfortunately, most parents do not seem to realize this. What would a child do if it sees the parents glued to the mobile or TV all the time?

Kids pick up on the habits of their parents. IMO, it has little to do with any developmental delay or stuff. I have noticed my kid and a few other kids in my friends circle being addicted to reading books. In each case, it is either one or both the parents being voracious readers themselves. Unfortunately, most parents do not seem to realize this. What would a child do if it sees the parents glued to the mobile or TV all the time?
Another thing being, children go to school which isn't in their mother tongue. The language they know and the language they can read are different. They can't read the language they know and they don't know the language they can read.

Ouch! :D

Useless reply probably, but if you can get your hands on a collection of old tinkle digest/mags (like from the 2000s, early 2010s or late 90s mags) those were great. The new tinkle is garbage, absolute garbage, the stories just don't have that old charm anymore. And it's not out of nostalgia either, read the old ones and compare it to the new ones today and you'll see the wide gap in quality.
Reading tinkle when I was young really did cultivate a good reading habit in me. Reading novels when you're under 10 just bores you out, tinkle was just right, not too mature like marvel or dc comics (and was easier to access). Archie comics was fun to read too but maybe a bit too young still for that.
even some of new title book, have collection of old stories, just like kichadi, pick up stories from old books and published with new title ...

Most of the new published books are edited to remove chunks of paragraphs or settings to make them politically correct. While buying P.G Wodehouse books, I had a hard time figuring out which books were not edited. Same with children's books written by Enid Blyton. Or even mystery books like Sherlock Holmes. Lot of editing going on to make stuff dumber. Even the classics like snow white etc are cheap knockoff work by some Indian authors or publishing house. I dread buying books now.

While buying P.G Wodehouse books, I had a hard time figuring out which books were not edited.
What are these books and what was edited out?

Or even mystery books like Sherlock Holmes. Lot of editing going on to make stuff dumber.
What do you mean? I found orginal Sherlock Holmes books were very politically correct. Amazing thing I found that, most of the Victorian era writers held contemporary India with really high regards.

Back