Gift for a 8 year old.

Arjun

Skilled
What is a good gift for a 8 year old. Something useful and not expensive. When I was a 8 year old I loved comics and story books but this is when there were no smartphones and tablets.

What is a good gift for a 8 year old. Something useful and not expensive. When I was a 8 year old I loved comics and story books but this is when there were no smartphones and tablets.
What is your 8yrs old interested in?
These days even a 2yr old is interested in tiktok, cartoons, insta aka glued to digital screen and they do not want books or outdoor games.

What about toys? Like lego, cars, bikes, planes etc. Or some game puzzles or board games where even you/your family as well can enjoy and play with him..

Rather than getting him something at random, try to find out a bit about their interests and get something appropriate.

Having been through the same dilemma, a few suggestions:
  • For the studious, bookwormish types - books (obviously), puzzles.
  • Curious, exploring types - building blocks, DIY kits.
  • Sporty, outdoor types - just pick something practical.
  • TV-watching, phone-addicted types - comic books about their favourite shows to possibly wean them away.

In addition to what the others said, Also consider taking them to the store to let them explore and pick something for themselves.

Of all the gifts I received as a kid, one of the most memorable ones is when my Uncle took me and my cousin to a toy store and told us to explore and pick one item each regardless of what it was. We could also play with the other kids there. There were some Beyblade stadiums where kids were playing with each other, some kids flying toy helicopters etc. Afterwards, we went to a book store where I got some of my favourite Tinkle comics. Over the years I have more or less forgotten about the gifts themselves but I still remember how much fun I had the day.

In addition to what the others said, Also consider taking them to the store to let them explore and pick something for themselves.

Of all the gifts I received as a kid, one of the most memorable ones is when my Uncle took me and my cousin to a toy store and told us to explore and pick one item each regardless of what it was. We could also play with the other kids there. There were some Beyblade stadiums where kids were playing with each other, some kids flying toy helicopters etc. Afterwards, we went to a book store where I got some of my favourite Tinkle comics. Over the years I have more or less forgotten about the gifts themselves but I still remember how much fun I had the day.
My memorable things which my uncle bought me is a remote controlled tank and toy rail. And also a Lego set.

These days even a 2yr old is interested in tiktok, cartoons, insta aka glued to digital screen and they do not want books or outdoor games.
That is not a good sign
Easiest thing to do and you just hope they don't pick the most expensive thing they can find

Hence I didnt gave him that option as its a human thing.. you are getting something for free and one will pick the most premium ones or multiple items as well... I have been through this!
I still think the idea of letting them choose is best. You can set the limits. That will be a life lesson also.

Back