Budget 15-20K Gift for mom! EDIT: Gifted a Lumia 720

ariendj

The Doctor
Adept
1. Budget?
A: 15-20k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT/amoled not more than 4.7inch
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike?
A: Nokia/Sony/Apple/LG/Samsung
5. Preferred input method?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not?
A: Required a 5MP camera..Flash will be a plus
7. Preferred operating system?
A: Windows/Andriod/iOS
8. Preferred connectivity options?
A: 2G/3G
9. What is your intended use for this phone?
A: Calls(85%),sms and mails(10%),cam(5%)
10. Any other requirements?
A: battery lasting a day or day & half.
legible screen.
11. If you have already considered a phone.
A: Lumia 720,Xperia SP,Apple 4/4s(second hand),HTC 8X,8S

Her usage does not really need very high processing power and plethora of features. I would suggest getting a used iPhone 4, may be from TE (for 15K or around).
Although you will get replies like you can get a better proccy phone and all such things, but here the phone is for someone who i suppose seeks a no-nonsense device and will not want to deal with any potential issues which may arise (not that iphone is immune to problems).
For this i would say iPhone 4 would be a very good device for her. Easier to learn too using iOS.

Gifting someone a *used* device is something I find very odd, especially to a family member and an elderly. No offense meant! :)

I'd recommend a new Lumia 720 - the OS is extremely intuitive irrespective of the age group, has a very good camera, has a growing app. library and comes within your price bracket. Do evaluate your options and take a call!

since it is a gift for your mom, I wont suggest to get a second hand (purely my opinion)
You can buy her lumia 720. Windows 8 is adept at all the usage you mentioned and you will have choice of colors too to suit your mom's taste.
Battery will last long with mentioned use and camera is one of the best in this range.

no offense taken as this is not an occasion gift.
actually her present phone took a dive in the rains and went bust.
she wanted some cheapo stuff but i wanted to get something with a bigger screen and better legibility.

if its a second hand then im planing to replace it with a better phone in feb,next year.(mom's bday)

whats important is the battery life.
hows the battery of iphone 4.

also read that the HTCs mentioned dint have a great battery backup.
the Xperia SP was good but too bulky.

i was almost fixed on buying the lumia 720 but backed off reading stuff about screen freezes!!!
does it affect light users?
(would be real bad to gift something that would make things more miserable)

Ask your mom what she expects in a phone. The way we think when buying a phone and what they want might be completely different. Take her to some electronics showrooms to show the phone live and operate it briefly, that way you know better what she wants from the device.
If it is a surprise then ignore the above.

she is not into anything related to work intensive stuff on the phone like gaming or net browsing.

all she needs is a good battery and smooth handling for basics like calls.
easy access to contacts and dialer.(thats what she says).

I would still say iPhone for her. WP might be good but since i have never used windows phone i cannot comment on them. My dad does not understand complicated gadgets and phones, i still got him an iPhone 3GS last year and he understands most of the things and even he himself figured out how to use maps and all.
And his usage is also very minimal, few calls per day, 1-2 SMSes received and he charges his phone every 3-4 days and that too even when the battery is still 35% and more since he gets panicked when battery goes below 35%.

^^how long does the 3GS last on a charge with such usage?

the usage pattern is pretty much same.

would like others to comment on the lumia 720 also in order to finalize.

Back