PC Peripherals Gigabit desktop switch

ibose

Skilled
I would appreciate some suggestions for a small and portable managed 5 port Gigabit switch. I had my eye on this but its out of stock -
Any similar options ?

Amazon has some net gear managed switches available.
For ubiquiti, try contacting the distributors and retailers mentioned on the find distributor link.

Thanks. PoE is not a must. Its a little confusing as the pic says unmanaged while description says otherwise.
Am buying the 8-port version of this same switch. As I understand, these are not truly managed switches, but with only a few features like VLAN, etc and are advertised as "smart" and "unmanaged pro" switches.

Will only know what they actually are once I get ahold of mine. Still, don't think these are what you need, if you are looking for a managed switch, in a strict sense. @rsaeon might have something to add.

To manage these switches, you need a udm or udm pro on the network. They don't have a web UI.
Are you certain about this? AFAIK, only the earlier versions (only v1, that I know for certain) lacked a web management panel and used their own Windows-only management program. Am particularly keen on this point, since I don't have access to a Windows machine.

Sorry, it just stuck me that you were referring to the Ubiquiti switches.

Last edited:
There's a seller on Amazon that has it for ~6500. But you will need a dedicated pc or vm to use this switch, it's one of the hidden costs of Unifi.
Yes I saw that but double the price doesn't make sense. You mean installing the Unifi controller on a system for the initial config or one has to keep it running 24x7 else the switch will not work ? I presume its more for any of the active functions like logging, guest networks, etc. Will a RPI or docker suffice ?

Last edited:
Yes I saw that but double the price doesn't make sense. You mean installing the Unifi controller on a system for the initial config or one has to keep it running 24x7 else the switch will not work ? I presume its more for any of the active functions like logging, guest networks, etc. Will a RPI or docker suffice ?

Raspberry Pi should be fine, so would a docker container. The controller is needed for the initial setup and any changes you'd want to make to configuration and firmware updates. But you can turn it off if you don't want or need monitoring/logging and just want to run it as initially configured. If you delete it the vm/docker though, you'll need to reset all of the unifi devices on your network and reconfigure them with the new vm/docker.

If you are looking for a managed switch just for VLAN tagging then those TP Link smart switches (SG108e) will do the job just fine - cheap and hassle free
Reason to say this is most home networks wont need anything more from a switch over & above VLANs - unless of course you have a very specific ask

If you are looking for a managed switch just for VLAN tagging then those TP Link smart switches (SG108e) will do the job just fine - cheap and hassle free
Reason to say this is most home networks wont need anything more from a switch over & above VLANs - unless of course you have a very specific ask
Agree. The Ubi one is not available with the listed resellers I contacted anyways. I have shortlisted this for now -
I just hope these issues have been fixed

Back