Gigabye HD5870 1GB , OCZ Platinum PC3 12800 6GB DDR3 kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
kekerode said:
Hi Shripad ... need one more favour

Can u plz test if this kit is stable at 7-7-7-21 1T @ 1440 MHz and vDIMM 1.55v ? ... saw on OCZ forum that with 12GB one fellow couldn't go beyond this.

I don't mind my RAM kit to underclock from 1600MHz to 1440MHz ... if both can stay together :)

@sarang : You have raised very interesting Q ... theoretically two module of this kit should work on your i5 rig ... but they may not work in dual channel mode only single channel mode

Yup, works at 1440Mhz 7-7-7-21 1T at 1.55v
And if you use 2 sticks in i5 rig they will work in dual channel. Dual channel does not have to do anything with these sticks in particular. Its the processor that supports DC in LGA1156. And all 3 sticks are identical, so if you use all 3 in LGA 1366, they work in triple channel. If you use 2 of these in i5, they will work in dual channel. remaining stick can be used in some other system. I use these same sticks for benching on my AM3 board in dual channel :p

Shripad said:
Yup, works at 1440Mhz 7-7-7-21 1T at 1.55v
And if you use 2 sticks in i5 rig they will work in dual channel. Dual channel does not have to do anything with these sticks in particular. Its the processor that supports DC in LGA1156. And all 3 sticks are identical, so if you use all 3 in LGA 1366, they work in triple channel. If you use 2 of these in i5, they will work in dual channel. remaining stick can be used in some other system. I use these same sticks for benching on my AM3 board in dual channel :p

Cool Shripad :D ... and also thanks for solving this i5 doubt also ... personally I have never used AMD rig so far :(

As far as I know DIMM module itself has ports which are responsible for SC, DC, TC etc and processor just needs to support that ... that's why theoretically it should work with i5 ... these sticks supports up to triple channel mode so it's good to go with AM3 also :) ... correct me if I m wrong

kekerode said:
Cool Shripad :D ... and also thanks for solving this i5 doubt also ... personally I have never used AMD rig so far :(

As far as I know DIMM module itself has ports which are responsible for SC, DC, TC etc and processor just needs to support that ... that's why theoretically it should work with i5 ... these sticks supports up to triple channel mode so it's good to go with AM3 also :) ... correct me if I m wrong

Hehe, you got wrong info and ideas about how things work m8.

There is nothing special inside memory modules that determines if its SC / DC /TC.

In old days of Athlon and P4 / C2D, memory controller used to be in chipset and it used to decide whether the platform is going to be single or dual channel.

Current generation chips from both AMD and Intel have memory controller on the processor itself and that decides the capability of the platform.

LGA1366 processors have triple channel memory controller. So if you put any 3 or 6 sticks of same capacity and ability to run at same timings at same speed, they will work in triple channel.

You can even buy cheapo loose DDR3 sticks which do not come in the form of a kit, and they will still work in triple channel.

If you have 2 kits with 1 rated at higher speeds, and other at lower, you can still run triple channel by manually inputing settings and timings to match slower kit or if your mobo bios picks up SPD properly, it will default at the speed of slower kit.
Phew.......
Enough of OT I guess.

Shripad said:
Hehe, you got wrong info and ideas about how things work m8.

There is nothing special inside memory modules that determines if its SC / DC /TC.

In old days of Athlon and P4 / C2D, memory controller used to be in chipset and it used to decide whether the platform is going to be single or dual channel.

Current generation chips from both AMD and Intel have memory controller on the processor itself and that decides the capability of the platform.

LGA1366 processors have triple channel memory controller. So if you put any 3 or 6 sticks of same capacity and ability to run at same timings at same speed, they will work in triple channel.

You can even buy cheapo loose DDR3 sticks which do not come in the form of a kit, and they will still work in triple channel.

If you have 2 kits with 1 rated at higher speeds, and other at lower, you can still run triple channel by manually inputing settings and timings to match slower kit or if your mobo bios picks up SPD properly, it will default at the speed of slower kit.
Phew.......
Enough of OT I guess.

Exactly correct Shripad :D ... thanks for jogging my memory after a long time :)

I got confused with Dual Port SRAM memory in which read-write can be done in single cycle ... while our RAM is high speed DRAM which has nothing to do with this ... it's memory controller which does all magic here :hap2:

well I m still waiting for some calculations ... so will PM you soon :D

bump..............

sorry guys, i was and am busy with personal work till tomorrow. I will try to get back to all PMs by tomorrow night. Little patience.

Replied to all PMs....

PS : I wont be holding it for anyone, you want it, you buy it. Whoever pays first buys this.

If you dont have enough money to pay immediately or want to use ebay coupon, I can do ebay listing with icici EMI option. 6% extra ebay fees will be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back