CPU/Mobo Gigabyte 785 does not support AMD X6, cannot upgrade bios ?

vinayaga

Adept
Folks, I have a deadlock situation here. I got a AMD Phenom X6 and the GA-MA785GM-US2H since the folks at S.P.Road insisted that the MB has support for X6 off the block (after speaking to all the Gigabyte service folks).:mad:

Short story, the bios does not recognize the CPU and will not allow me to proceed, even to the setup screen. Do I need a temporary CPU just to flash to a new bios ? Any other options or hacks ?

Anyone in B.G Road in Bangalore can help with a temporary AM2 processor ? :huh:

yes, Im starting to scream at them. The problem is that this is the only DDR2 motherboard that supports the X6 and I do not have a choice in that respect to throw it back and get another one. So have to figure a way to clear the mess now.

vinayaga said:
yes, Im starting to scream at them. The problem is that this is the only DDR2 motherboard that supports the X6 and I do not have a choice in that respect to throw it back and get another one. So have to figure a way to clear the mess now.

posted some further questions above....check on that...

Yes, which is why I got fooled !!! The motherboard with the latest BIOS WILL support the X6, but the motherboard I got does not come with the latest bios.

So a chicken and egg problem: Motherboard says unrecognized CPU, will not proceed. If I do not proceed, I cannot upgrade the Bios !!!
thetechmind said:
did u happen to tell the "folks at S.P.Road" about this and throw the mbb back at them ?

ps. : the website GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview does say it supports x6! which might mean there is some other issue here ! .....which psu / which rams ? / does the mbb beep at startup ? check the box and see which 'rev' is the motherboard ? is 1, 1.1, 1.3 ?

try a temporary cpu. I know a guy who had similar problem - He used an older processor to boot & upgrade bios. After that he was able to install X6.

Ask the seller to help you with any AM2 CPU just to install new BIOS.. All new mobos can upgrade BIOS from a USB Pen drive which you can take with you.. I am sure they will help you out in this situation... It will take hardly 2 mins...

Don't ruin the situation by getting angry & it will bring you a solution definitely... :)

Just take the board to SP Road from where you bought it. The shop will have some sort of a centre where the comp is assembled. Just tell them to give any AMD CPU and install with the board and upgrade the BIOS. Just to be sure take the unzipped bios in your pen drive so that the whole process of installing and updating would take 10-15 min !

Also I think D link Gigabye service centre is near the Axa Office in BTM which should be quite near for you. Just take it to them and I am sure they will upgrade the bios for u.

I dont know why u got so much angry on the seller on SP Road.....just that the Giga 785 board he had in stock came with an older bios which is difficult to guess unless u test it out. One of my friend took the same board and it came with the latest April BIos supporting X6

Not expected this from vinayaga- a bit immature imho on 2 counts. :p

(1) It is the "duty" of any self-respecting/self-proclaimed techie to use the latest/best BIOS available for one's motherboard. :)

(2) That the chip can be used with an older mobo with DDR2 support is a fringe benefit offered by the manuf.
The optimum potential of the product is best unleashed with the latest spec DDR3 mobo.
So minor compatibility issues like this are bound to crop up.

How can a manufacturer/distro keep updating BIOSes that have been passed onto the retail channel already?
The seller may help if they have a test/rma/assembly section and the rma centre (seller/distro/manuf) usually helps with all such issues promptly. :)
Mods- please edit the title to something suitable. It's very misleading imho.
How about- "hardcore techie unable to run X6 on 785G mobo supporting X6 due to sudden bout of amnesia/n00bishness!!" :bleh:

Back