OC & Modding gigabyte doubleboot problem

Ov3rLoRd

Adept
hello,
i am facing a strange problem here . my specs are
e8400
gigabyte ep45 DS3L
gskill 2x2 gb 800mhz
my problem is when i try to overclock porcessor by increasing its fsb from 333 to higher it overclock well but when i start my sys from coldboot( switching on power from wall soket and psu) it double boots but but runs with overclocked setting stable. problem goes when restart while power still on or reduce fsb below 333mhz.
i want to know is this problem same with other gigabyte mobo or updating bios will solve this.

double booting is not a problem i have an abit ip-35e board and my pc double boots wenever i make any chages in my bios settings...so there's nothing to worry about....

Arjit_b said:
double booting is not a problem i have an abit ip-35e board and my pc double boots wenever i make any chages in my bios settings...so there's nothing to worry about....

DOUBLE BOOT IS A PROBLEM !!

It cannot be a good thing to power a HDD on-off-on within a few seconds as the Abit ip35-e MoBo does.

I owned an Abit ip35-e for 10 days only and in that time it damaged a HDD with the double booting :O I must say that I had cold started my system a lot of times in those 10 days, as I was redoing my Windows setup after changing from an AMD setup :(

A few days back I got a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R MoBo and the first time I booted it up it did a double boot and I nearly had a heart attack..... but it only did the double boot the first time I started up the system, not did it again even on cold starts. THANK GAWD !!

Eazy said:
DOUBLE BOOT IS A PROBLEM !!

A few days back I got a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R MoBo and the first time I booted it up it did a double boot and I nearly had a heart attack..... but it only did the double boot the first time I started up the system, not did it again even on cold starts. THANK GAWD !!
have you overclocked it ? with out overclocking mine is also starts in single boot.

You are not alone buddie. I also face this problem. I think you need to change the MCH latch. Check my thread about the same problem under OC and modding. Hope my solution helps you. :)

i have checked your thread yesterday.i have tried as you said-
"If your proccy runs at 266 Mhz (Default), then when you OC beyond 333 Mhz it will double post. If your proccy runs at 332 it wont double post. By default the MCH latch setting is set to Auto which causes the Mobo to adjust the latch while boot. The solution is to change the MCH Latch or MCH Strap to the desired CPU Frequency at which it is running. In case you have OC your proccy and it is running at 333 Mhz, then change the strap or latch to 333. If CPU FSB is 400 Mhz, change the latch or MCH strap to 400. Please check in BIOS. Also, change the CPU Clock skew to 800 and PCI Express to 900. These options would be available under Advanced Clock settings. "
as you guided i have changed MCH strap to 400 for 400fsb but did not worked.
few minutes earlier i have changed MCH strap to 333 for 400fsb and and and.............
IT STARTED IN SINGLE BOOT. i think i have got the formula.
fsb 400x 9= 3.6ghz
ram 4-4-4-12 800mhz 2volt
thanks for your research it healped me a lot.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster ...............: auto
CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: 00
CPU Frequency ...........................: 400
Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 400 Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]
Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800
PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900
CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0
MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0
DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 333
System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.0b
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..........: 800 at 1:1
DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control (ram spec is 4-4-4-12)

Motherboard Voltage Control
Voltage Type.………... Manual
CPU
CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.25

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: 1.200

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.500

CPU Referen.…………....0.805V*.......: 0.805 (should I set to Auto?)

MCH/ICH
MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.200
MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........auto
MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: auto
ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: 1.55
ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: auto

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.00v
DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings (I believe I have these set this way, will double check tonight)
Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
is 2v for ram is ok and i have not overclocked vol. set. of vcore is this ok.
after this i have played cod4 at max setting for 1hour and pc seems to be stable . is this ok?

2V should be okay for RAM. It also depends what kind of RAM you are using. I am for sure 2v is safe for Corsair RAM modules. I am using E7300, hence I am running my proccy at 333X10 with DRAM 832 at 2.0v timing 4-4-4-12. System is stable. I cant use the 333 latch. As your proccy is 3.0 ghz, hence your default MCH latch would be 333. I think double post will happen if U increase latch to 400. I think you have three choices i.e 200,266 and 333.:) I have only two options 200 & 266. :(

I think you can enable EIST. It does not harm your system. In a way saves power and in turn ( MOOOOOOOOOOOLAH). :) All other settings you posted seems fine bro. I would disable the No Execute Memory Protect.

Did you run OCCT for one hour and Memtest for 3 passes?

Your proccy volt 1.25 and your are running it at 400X8. That sounds great. I had to bump CPU voltage to 1.325 with a Vdroop of 0.4 to run proccy at 400X8. However, the double post was a problem with that setting.:(

I am now gonna OC my ram modules, slowly and steadily. I am sure I can OC it to 1000-1200.:eek:hyeah:

Back