CPU/Mobo Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L takes long too boot!

njankit

Disciple
When I press the power switch the power led glows n after abt 12-15 seconds i hear the short beep and can see the boot screen.

Wud like to hear from other gigabyte G31M-ES2L owners?

TIA

No motherboard should take that long time for the beep. Try booting your pc with only the basic hdware. Remove hdd, dvdwriter, gfx card and try booting and then see what happens.

How will it boot w/o hdd?

dragon_unleash said:
No motherboard should take that long time for the beep. Try booting your pc with only the basic hdware. Remove hdd, dvdwriter, gfx card and try booting and then see what happens.

Same here for my gigabyte 78gpm-ds2h and gigabyte 78gm-us2h motherboards. Both take 8-10 sec before i hear the beep and bios screen comes.. i thought this is normal as they may not be supporting quick boot like intel's motherboard

1 more with me, vow now i m feeling comfortable. BTW quickboot just skips some checks n that happens after u see first screen.

Has it got something to do with energy saver?

Will try running it on minimal config n post back

Im on a really old samsung 160GB SATA HDD (50MB/s or so average read speed) as my OS/Boot drive on the same motherboard and it still boots(desktop) up in less than 10 seconds.

Make sure the HDD is the first boot device(priority = HDD)
EDIT: Read madnav's post below.

check the settings for

'FDD seek delay' and 'HDD seek delay'

set them to 5sec (or whatever lowest value available above 0/disabled)

turn off FDD controller if the same is not being used.

go to boot settings menu and select preferred HDD / CD drive as the 1st boot device.

the delayed beep generally accounts for:

Seek Delay.

Device (drive) being recognized late.

So 1st reduce seek delay time..

then try starting machine with one drive (hdd / cd /dvd) at a time and individually to isolate the drive causing delay.

My HDD was(is) the first boot device n FDD controller was already disabled.

Well i couldn't find HDD seek delay but here is what i've done till now.

1. As recommended i tried with bare minimum config i.e. with only CPU, 1 Memory Stick and keyboard and voila it took only 4 secs (still high).:mad:

2. Added another stick n still 4 seconds.

3. Added the HDD to SATA0 port (as marked on mobo) n now it took 6 sec.

4. Added the DVDD to SATA1 port n now it took 9 sec.

5. Switched DVDD to SATA2 port n now it took 7 sec.

6. Disabled SMART, PCI IDE 2, Serial, Parallel, Lan Port in BIOS didn't make any difference.

7. Plugged in the graphics card n now it takes 8 seconds.

So this is what i m running right now 8 seconds wait time.:huh:

Even I'm having the same problem on my current rig with Gigabyte G31-ES2L :mad:

It takes 10 seconds to load and then an annoying beep, moreover when pressing multiple keys on keyboard, it makes the same beeping noise :mad: {Beep's noise is just like the sound which we hear after our PC Hangs}

I have'nt installed my new Gigabyte P45 mobo so dunno how will it boot up, Help me please :(

well i have a gigabyte mobo G31M Energy saver it takes on average 2 sec to post. donno why it takes you people so longer. might be your ram @667Mhz. just guessing.

njankit said:
3. Added the HDD to SATA0 port (as marked on mobo) n now it took 6 sec.

4. Added the DVDD to SATA1 port n now it took 9 sec.

5. Switched DVDD to SATA2 port n now it took 7 sec.
That is very interesting. Don't know why it should make a difference but the obvious next step should have been to try the HDD on another SATA port.

I had faced the exact same problem. Earlier it used to boot perfectly, but out of the blue it started taking some time.

But in my case I also was getting 'read disk errors' after bios. So in the end, it was my faulty sata cable.

It seems quite the same possibility as well in your case since you mentioned the time increases only after you connect the other hdds.

Back