CPU/Mobo Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Vs. MSI P55-CD53 Suggestion Needed.?

tosh79

Adept
Oct 8, 2007
Well,

i almost made my mind for a Core i5 750 & MSI P55 CD3

But this is what causing some doubts in my mind! can anybody elaborate upon this.
It seems MSI, ASROCK, ECS boards tested failed.

The Perils Of Overclocking - Review Tom's Hardware : P55 On A Budget: Five Core i5/i7 Motherboards For $100-$150

The third try is supposed to be charmed, but it wasn’t for MSI. The P55-CD53 blew out one power phase at a mere 1.36V under full CPU load. However, the circumstances surrounding that failure are a little more interesting, since a 0.371V offset voltage was required to get the system to boot at 1.44V, where the load of eight Prime95 threads pulled its voltage down to 1.36V. It stayed at 1.36V for several minutes before the failure occurred.
Whom do we go to for answers here? Encouraged by a far-lower TDP rating on the new generation of Core i7 processors (95W, down from 130W), these companies probably designed LGA 1156-based models with a similar percentage of “overcapacity” as they’d used on LGA 1366 boards. But the fault doesn’t sit solely with each motherboard’s initial design team, as testing should have revealed the problem before the boards reached mass production or distribution.
Maybe a better question would be “what’s missing”? It seems that many of our previous-generation motherboards would shut off when overloaded, before anything was damaged. That’s called over-current protection, and it’s a feature apparently now reserved for high-end boards.

Anubis

Skilled
Nov 12, 2009
Tomshardware has already went past 4ghz oc on P55 without any burns .

It turned out that the motherboard already had over-current protection built-in, and ASRock had simply neglected it in the BIOS, believing that average overclockers wouldn't need it. A BIOS update to version 1.80 was the sole requirement to fix the P55 Pro, and ASRock even had Newegg ship a retail sample from its normal stock to prove this.

Mobo bios max voltage was set at 1.80v default keeping in mind that extreme overclockers would not need it . Now a bios revision ti 1.80v has been issued and no harm has been detected so far .

Step 1: Finding The Overclocking Limits - Review Tom's Hardware : Core i7-870 Overclocking And Fixing Blown P55-Based Boards

Step 3: Evaluating The Solutions - Review Tom's Hardware : Core i7-870 Overclocking And Fixing Blown P55-Based Boards

tosh79

Adept
Oct 8, 2007
Mate,

i am worried more about MSI P55-CD53 not asrock.

The third try is supposed to be charmed, but it wasn’t for MSI. The P55-CD53 blew out one power phase at a mere 1.36V under full CPU load. However, the circumstances surrounding that failure are a little more interesting, since a 0.371V offset voltage was required to get the system to boot at 1.44V, where the load of eight Prime95 threads pulled its voltage down to 1.36V. It stayed at 1.36V for several minutes before the failure occurred
Anubis said:
Tomshardware has already went past 4ghz oc on P55 without any burns .
Anubis said:
It turned out that the motherboard already had over-current protection built-in, and ASRock had simply neglected it in the BIOS, believing that average overclockers wouldn't need it. A BIOS update to version 1.80 was the sole requirement to fix the P55 Pro, and ASRock even had Newegg ship a retail sample from its normal stock to prove this.

Mobo bios max voltage was set at 1.80v default keeping in mind that extreme overclockers would not need it . Now a bios revision ti 1.80v has been issued and no harm has been detected so far .

Step 1: Finding The Overclocking Limits - Review Tom's Hardware : Core i7-870 Overclocking And Fixing Blown P55-Based Boards

Step 3: Evaluating The Solutions - Review Tom's Hardware : Core i7-870 Overclocking And Fixing Blown P55-Based Boards
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-motherboard-overclock,2460-8.html