CPU/Mobo Gigabyte service = Rashi?

Hi Folks,
Today I went to Nehru place to give (my niece comp) motherboard for repair as the motherboard (Gigabyte 780G) display went kaput (no display).
I had purchased the whole system from our SMC.
After the confirmation from SMC that MB needs to be given to service, I went to gigabyte service center.
Now at the service center, the guy told me that the motherboard is slightly bent therefore it may not be covered under warranty. They will test it and may service it.
After lot of hassle he finally took the board but wrote the same on receipt ..!!:mad:

I would like to know is this really an issue...why i have never heard anything like this before :S

It seems like every service center is going to shit...
(lol: where is rocket sales !!)
Any suggestions!!

Yes sometimes they do it. They just do any excuse for their benefit. When I went to the service station, they just said that they cannot accept the motherboard because there is no processor cover. Man, are we going to conserve that small plastic cover for 3 years :(

err...

the bent in the board will void the warranty.

bent board can result in short circuit if soldering touches motherboard tray..

bend can also cause pcb damage.

i don't think they are just trying to make you sweat.

Rockfella said:
Woah!!!! Really????????????????/ Why? :)

i think he means the cover for the lga775 socket...without which the socket pins get damaged during handling.

they dont accept these boards without that cover.

Just for them to analyse the defect in the socket maybe because you damaged it. Lol
No coz the socket may get damaged in transit.

Yes, madnav is right. But my socket pins were not damaged. And who cares to read mobo manual & all. I just read to get an idea of power switch, restart swith & LEDs. But if they have a warranty policy like this, then do you think that one would preserve that small cover for 3 years. They've got policies which benefit them only.

Did not read this in mobo manual but the sticker on the plastic cover which i was about to throw which had a mention to cover the socket when bringing the mobo to service station.

saqib_khan said:
Yes, madnav is right. But my socket pins were not damaged. And who cares to read mobo manual & all. I just read to get an idea of power switch, restart swith & LEDs. But if they have a warranty policy like this, then do you think that one would preserve that small cover for 3 years. They've got policies which benefit them only.

err.. no no. i'm talking about damage to pins after you submit the board..

they cant afford to give free cover to every board that enter the center...and they are also obliged to provide a cover while returning the board to the customer...to assure pin won't be damaged... thus the policy!!

madnav said:
err...

the bent in the board will void the warranty.

bent board can result in short circuit if soldering touches motherboard tray..

bend can also cause pcb damage.

i don't think they are just trying to make you sweat.

i think he means the cover for the lga775 socket...without which the socket pins get damaged during handling.

they dont accept these boards without that cover.

Agreed ...but in my case, bent was so small that u really need to look hard..(I will post the pic later when i receive it back n trust me u will not call it a bend)

Later he showed me some machine; saying that the board may not slight in that....though not sure what it was...

Today I finally got my mobo back with warranty rejected ...

why because of this bend (see attached pic)

is this really! a bend ???

and even this is gone if I apply slight pressure...:S

I am really pissed off ...companies going to any extent just to refuse warranty :mad:

any suggestions!

Attachments

• gigabyte.jpg
    gigabyte.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 118
Bent board= physical damage

physical damage voids the warranty. What "cover" are you talking about? The anti static bag? If you threw it away then you can go to some assembler ask if he can give one. Next time, don't throw the bag and the processor cover if any.

@ saqib_khan: You are supposed to keep that processor cover atleast as far as intel boards are concerned. It protects the pins from being damaged. This is not just for RMA, but also when you are selling the motherboard. Only an idiot will risk buying a second hand motherboard which does not have the cover, what if the pins get damaged during shipping?

Besides it does say in the cover itself "To protect the socket pins, remove this cap only when installing a cpu. This cap must be placed if returning the motherboard" Clearly. If you want RMA to be done properly, you will have to make such small "efforts". The motherboard need to be in the anti-static bags when claiming for replacement as well, so how hard can it be to keep a small cover till the board has outlasted its usefulness?

just incase if people have lost the cover and worried about the warranty...

the cover can be bought separately...

last i heard it was around 25bucks at lammy...

i was at rashi (old service center address) and a guy did not have the cover... the rashi people suggested buying one from downstairs... generally those roadside dvd sellers and kind keeps this stuff.

aso the cover is just to serve the said purpose, there is no serial number etc, so the original one or not is not a concern.

- Regarding CPU cover I have seen almost all the mobo fitted with paper instead of plastic cover getting out after repair...so how can they expect u to have ONLY plastic cover....

- Their is no physical damage

and as u can see the bent is extremely small and its their because i used a stud instead of jumper at one place (which is a normal practice)

Also I have myself worked on many electronic projects building PCBs and believe me PCBs are much more tolerant. don't believe me go to any service centre and see the abuse the boards goes through....

this is just an excuse to refuse warranty. :-[

Before it was rashi forcing us away from Asus and now its gigabyte ...

so which brand we can trust now :huh:

The Sorcerer said:
Bent board= physical damage

physical damage voids the warranty. What "cover" are you talking about? The anti static bag? If you threw it away then you can go to some assembler ask if he can give one. Next time, don't throw the bag and the processor cover if any.

@ saqib_khan: You are supposed to keep that processor cover atleast as far as intel boards are concerned. It protects the pins from being damaged. This is not just for RMA, but also when you are selling the motherboard. Only an idiot will risk buying a second hand motherboard which does not have the cover, what if the pins get damaged during shipping?

Besides it does say in the cover itself "To protect the socket pins, remove this cap only when installing a cpu. This cap must be placed if returning the motherboard" Clearly. If you want RMA to be done properly, you will have to make such small "efforts". The motherboard need to be in the anti-static bags when claiming for replacement as well, so how hard can it be to keep a small cover till the board has outlasted its usefulness?

Back