Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF mobo misbehaving, Need new replacement. under 8k to 10k (Intel Socket 1155 lga, DDR3 4x RAM Modules, onboard and dedicat GPU)

Futureized

Skilled
Using this: Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF for 10+ years
Wrote issue with existing mobo at end of my requirements if anyone can shred light on issue and getting to main point.

Looking for a motherboard under budget of 8k to 10k, (Intel Socket 1155 lga, DDR3 4x RAM Modules, supports Onboard and dedicated GPU)
CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K CPU @ 3.40 ghZ
Memory DDR3 - 10GB
Graphics - require good onboard graphics if i can play Far Car Primal (do not require high-end onboard GPU, if not under budget)
Minimum 1 GBPS lan speed.
Windows 11 support preferred

Important:
Existing old mobo has GIGABYTE Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi Card
Wireless Communication module
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Supports 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band
Bluetooth 4.0, 3.0+HS, 2.1+EDR (bluetooth does not works)
Can i use this hardware with my new motherboard ? Or can the new motherboard under required budget come with this kind of wifi feature.

Looking for board for next 3-4 years until i buy a new gaming PC.

Already using this board since last 10+ years was working fine for all my requirements, dont do much gaming hence no issues.
Got this repaired twice, once cause of bios issues and 2nd time for chip level issues.
It is again misbehaving will not boot up once i turn on power buttons and click on cabinet to turn on PC,
I have to keep the electric power buttons off for 30 minutes, then turn those on for 30 minutes, then again turn off and click cabinet power button 3 times to release any electricity from PC, then turn on power sockets and then PC turns on.
It goes to screen, where it asks me to Load Optimized Defaults and boot or Enter bios..
After system boots, it stays fine for few minutes to couple of hours or day or 2 then turn off automatically....
long story....
My hardware engineer suggested motherboard is pretty dead and go for new replacement.

(as per my hardware engineer)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
It's probably time to move on from your system, 3rd gen Intel (60/70 series motherboards) are a decade old at this point and are well past their expected lifespan. That said, I have four 3rd gen systems under moderate load and 24/7 use for the past two years and they seem to be holding up okay. I do have some thoughts and suggestions to make the most of your current hardware:

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K CPU @ 3.40 ghZ

You can reuse this, your onboard graphics are not on the motherboard, they're on the processor. The motherboard just has display connectors. So you'll see the same performance no matter which 3rd gen motherboard you use, when you're using onboard graphics.

Looking for a motherboard under budget of 8k to 10k, (Intel Socket 1155 lga, DDR3 4x RAM Modules, supports Onboard and dedicated GPU)

Memory DDR3 - 10GB

Seeing that you have just 10GB of system memory, you could try upgrading to 2x 8GB sticks. This way you can use one of the budget H61 motherboards that have two ram slots since those are the only motherboards available new today that support your processor. There are no new 3rd gen motherboards being sold with 4x DDR3 slots. 16GB of DDR3 + a new H61 motherboard will be around 9k. Or you can keep your two sticks of 8GB and 2GB and get the H61 motherboard for under 3.5k.

There's probably going to be a compromise here, most H61 motherboards have only 10/100 networking. But if you're not going to use a add-on graphics card, you can put in a 1G network card in the x16 slot from TP-Link for around 800.

Windows 11 support preferred

Official Windows 11 support ends at 7th generation, about five years after 3rd gen. You can still install it, but compatibility is not guaranteed.

Existing old mobo has GIGABYTE Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi Card
Can i use this hardware with my new motherboard ? Or can the new motherboard under required budget come with this kind of wifi feature.

Yes, you can reuse this card in any system. It's not tied down to your Gigabyte motherboard. There are some budget boards with onboard wifi but those are based on the AMD platform.

After system boots, it stays fine for few minutes to couple of hours or day or 2 then turn off automatically....

Sounds like there's multiple issues (bad capacitors and corrupted bios) on that motherboard and while it's possible to get it repaired, it's not economically viable. You could try selling the motherboard in the marketplace here, collectors such as myself value dead boards at around 1000-1500 while repair technicians would not go past 500.

I would also suggest purchasing a new power supply.

Last edited:
Thank You @rsaeon for detailed explanation. Short on budget for this PC.. and looking for best compatible motherboard which can support existing hardware till next year.

Thanks for clarifying that onboard graphics are on processor and not MOBO, shall any other new mobo will have display connectors ?

Got 4 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 12 GB of DDR3 memory (800 MHz) (what will be best price i sell this for here)
How much shall new 2 x 8GB DDR3 memory cost me (should i worry about 800 MHz or above, technically no idea)

Will not go for dedicated GPU, so an addon 1 gbps network card under 800 INR will be good deal. (any suggestions for same)

Tried installing Windows 11, 4 years back with 4 GB RAM, but was not smooth hence uninstalled.. compatibility was not an issue and almost all hardware periperals were detected.
Should i buy a licensed Windows 10 or 11 Home edition, how much this might cost ?
Or ignore buying Windows 11 ?

Great to learn addon wifi card can be used further, this was important as well.

Paid around 2000 total in past 5 years to get this mobo repaired, it will cost around 1400 INR now to get this fixed.

Can you suggest some best motherboard options (any compatible brand Gigabyte, Asus, Msi, etc.)
and additional hardware required to get this PC up and running with my requirements ?

I have a Corsair 1000 watts power supply, which is running smooth.. will go for new, once this is dead.

FYI - Its been like 5+ hours and still PC is running smooth.. no auto-power off.

I understand your budget is restricted to 10K, but do consider stretching just a bit. You can pick up a Ryzen 3200G+basic motherboard+16GB DDR4 for around 20K.
The difference is 10K, and you should be able to recoup around maybe 6-6.5K from selling CPU+RAM+old mobo, I guess.

The power supply is also very overpowered for your system. Depending on which one it is, you might be able to sell it, buy a decent branded 400-450W PSU and still have enough left over to cover the 3.5 - 4k deficit above.

Like rsaeon said, no use in clinging to the old gen. 3200G isn't exactly new, but it's newer than the 3rd gen intel and a DDR4 platform, and what you buy will all be in warranty.
Another thing, if your RAM fails tomorrow, you might need to spend more, and DDR3 is scarce and expensive these days. OTOH, you should still be able to find buyers easily for your current DIMMs if they're in working condition.

Thanks for clarifying that onboard graphics are on processor and not MOBO, shall any other new mobo will have display connectors ?

Yes, most H61 motherboards have HDMI connections, almost all of them have VGA connectors.

Got 4 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 12 GB of DDR3 memory (800 MHz) (what will be best price i sell this for here)

Around 1000 per 4GB stick and around 500 per 2GB stick. Prices can be +/- 250-500 depending on the brand/warranty. Crucial has lifetime warranty on their DDR3 memory with the serial number on the sticker. Corsair may require an invoice, unsure about the other brands.

Will not go for dedicated GPU, so an addon 1 gbps network card under 800 INR will be good deal. (any suggestions for same)

I have over a dozen of these under heavy load in linux, they hold up really well: https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TG-3468-Gigabit-Express-Network/dp/B003CFATNI/

Should i buy a licensed Windows 10 or 11 Home edition, how much this might cost ?

Someone in the forum is selling OEM keys for around 1500, the difference being that OEM keys are not meant to be transferred to a new system. https://techenclave.com/threads/microsoft-genuine-softwares.191795/ You can try other online marketplaces that sell keys. I personally have been using a retail Windows 8 key that I purchased some years ago, it works for activating Windows 10 even today.

However, I have been able to call Microsoft on their US number and activate an OEM windows key on a different system after making sure the old system was offline.

Retail software makes little sense for people outside of the US since we don't have access to premium telephone support that comes with it.

I understand your budget is restricted to 10K, but do consider stretching just a bit.

This is a far better option. Performance has increase dramatically in the last five years. You should be able to get 7k for your existing processor, motherboard and memory and the remaining components you can reuse (wifi card, storage, power supply).

But if you're certain you want to reuse your processor and memory, then I would suggest purchasing a used Dell Optiplex 7010 from a local refurbishing dealer. You can find them usually on OLX or Facebook. It would cost somewhere between 3500 to 4000 but that includes a motherboard, cabinet, power supply and cpu cooler. I have a few of these in 24/7 use and they are easily the most stable DDR3 machines I have ever used. Infact, I am transitioning all of my DDR3 systems to these Dell Optiplexes. They are not very prestigious or attractive or even performant, but they are robustly designed and built to a standard.

1 Gbps, capitalization of the B matters, 1 GBps LAN doesn't exist.

What's your usecase for gigabit LAN? Just curious. Because many times people think they need it, but they really don't. The fact that you want Wi-Fi makes me further question the need for gigabit LAN. If you'll be using LAN, then why are you worried about Wi-Fi?
Tried installing Windows 11, 4 years back
Windows 11 was released only last year.

In any case, MS officially supports Win11 only on 8th gen Intel and above. So you won't get a motherboard for 3rd gen with Win11 support.

In my personal opinion, Windows 10 is still the better OS and there's nothing that Windows 11 adds. Win11 is change for the sake of change. There are multiple changes which make my experience worse, but very few which make my experience better. Win10 will be supported till 2025. So you still have a good 3 years left to use it.

It will, but it's not worth paying new money for. I have this board and it's been stable 24/7 as a basic desktop the last couple of years:

That Gigabyte board above can be found for under 2k by refurbishing dealers on OLX

Thanks @rsaeon .
Not looking for refurbished mobo, which can cannot guarantee working.
Please help me find a motherboard for existing hardware.
I have cut down 4x RAM Modules to 2x Ram modules and shall purchase additional 8 GB ram
Have 1x 8GB and 2x 2 GB ram sticks

FYI - System is running properly since yesteray 10PM, no auto-turn off

Not looking for refurbished mobo, which can cannot guarantee working.
You can go for refurbished mobo with seller warranty - instead of 2k - you will see cost inching towards 4k with 1-1.5 years of seller warranty or buy Zeb or other local brands close to 4k - one example. Otherwise I second with @rsaeon's opinion on getting Optiplex - probably Optiplex 7010 would suffice and you may find 8gb variant (single stick close to 8-8.5k easily), keep your 8gb and you should have 16 gigs of RAM and decent workstation build (supporting day to day tasks) easily.

Also you can offload the current problematic hardware to recover your cost of this purchase if you go with Optiplex. if you're still worried - ask Optiplex seller on warranty. Check this - https://www.oldlappy.com/ - they will provide you extra warranty.

Disclaimer: I know many ppl getting hardware from the above mentioned site. However, I have no idea on how warranty is honored; assuming I never heard any issue I won't be in position to comment.

Found another mobo https://acmetech.in/product/evm-h61-motherboard/
Talked with there sales, it will cost around 3400 gst included and shipping with COD.
You can go for refurbished mobo with seller warranty - instead of 2k - you will see cost inching towards 4k with 1-1.5 years of seller warranty or buy Zeb or other local brands close to 4k - one example. Otherwise I second with @rsaeon's opinion on getting Optiplex - probably Optiplex 7010 would suffice and you may find 8gb variant (single stick close to 8-8.5k easily), keep your 8gb and you should have 16 gigs of RAM and decent workstation build (supporting day to day tasks) easily.

Also you can offload the current problematic hardware to recover your cost of this purchase if you go with Optiplex. if you're still worried - ask Optiplex seller on warranty. Check this - https://www.oldlappy.com/ - they will provide you extra warranty.

Disclaimer: I know many ppl getting hardware from the above mentioned site. However, I have no idea on how warranty is honored; assuming I never heard any issue I won't be in position to comment.
Thanks for you reply,
I understand, everyone above is helping me get best deal for the budget.money I am planning to spend.
I do not wish to get into hassle of buying any other hardware bundle (as not truly a nerd and need to get existing PC up and running soon, it has lot of data.).
Dont wish to find buyers for existing hardware, hence looking for a motherboard which suffice my needs.

Another question now is, with available motherboard options supports DDR3 1066/1333/1600 MHZ SDRAM
Will it support my DDR3 800 MHZ Ram ? Kindly check attachment.

Last edited:
your RAM sticks will be running @ 1600 MHz; PC3-12800 translates into 1600 MHz. Board you have mentioned should work fine with the RAM sticks you have.

I will recommend going for 8+8 sticks as it will allow your usage max exposure.

your RAM sticks will be running @ 1600 MHz; PC3-12800 translates into 1600 MHz. Board you have mentioned should work fine with the RAM sticks you have.

I will recommend going for 8+8 sticks as it will allow your usage max exposure.
Yes, going for same, Have a 1x 8GB Ram stick, will purchase new 1x 8GB Ram stick. which shall give me total 16 DDR3 ram.
Now only thing left is new compatible motherboard selection as per my requirements.

Found another mobo https://acmetech.in/product/evm-h61-motherboard/
Talked with there sales, it will cost around 3400 gst included and shipping with COD.

Thanks for you reply,
I understand, everyone above is helping me get best deal for the budget.money I am planning to spend.
I do not wish to get into hassle of buying any other hardware bundle (as not truly a nerd and need to get existing PC up and running soon, it has lot of data.).
Dont wish to find buyers for existing hardware, hence looking for a motherboard which suffice my needs.

Another question now is, with available motherboard options supports DDR3 1066/1333/1600 MHZ SDRAM
Entirely your call of course, but given what you have available for 3rd gen, there's a high likelihood of either that Zeb board or the EVM board giving you additional headaches. The Zeb board has a lot of negative reviews for defective boards delivered, not sure if it's the same seller as the one currently available. I've never heard of EVM, I wouldn't be willing to bet on their QC or that site's after sales support.

Maybe you can post a WTB thread here and see if anyone has a good condition board they'd like to sell?

@Futureized

I've a couple of Intel and ECS H61 mobos under possession, which were powering some typical work PCs in my brother's office. I'm gradually transitioning the roster to NUCs.

If you can wait a bit, I can then come up with the list over the weekend.

Tagging @rsaeon as well, cause I think you're the right person to repurpose some of the aforementioned hardware components (mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.)

@Futureized

I've a couple of Intel and ECS H61 mobos under possession, which were powering some typical work PCs in my brother's office. I'm gradually transitioning the roster to NUCs.

If you can wait a bit, I can then come up with the list over the weekend.

Tagging @rsaeon as well, cause I think you're the right person to repurpose some of the aforementioned hardware components (mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.)
On will wait.

Finally found Gigabyte motherboard with a hardware vendor in Mumbai
H61mds2 for 6550 INR + GST
Same mobo on amazon is available for 8890

There are 2 variants of this motherboard rev 2.2 and rev 5.0
Not sure which one i am getting, asked vendor to confirm.

Ordered following, will receive tomorrow:
Gigabyte H61mds2 = 6550
8 GB DDR3 ram = 1750
GST = 18%
Total = 9794

Also ordering this cabinet, as all 4 front USB ports, power button on old cabinet have stopped working.
Antec GX202 for 3750
If there is a better option for new cabinet and available with any Mumbai vendor can purchase from there, (required by tomorrow evening in Goregaon)

Attachments

• Antec cabinet.jpg
    Antec cabinet.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hello Members,
Yet another update,
Motherboard GA-H61M-DS2 (rev. 6.0) was faulty (returned to dealer he charged 200 bucks as only replacement was allowed no return back)
Windows 10 was not getting installed was throwing error while windows 10 installation, during stage after copying files, PC was restarting after 75% completion.

We tried setting up OS on old Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF which went smooth.
Replaced CMOS battery which was completely dead on this board, hence was always throwing Load Optimized Defaults on boot Message along with Enter Bios option and had to setup date/time on every reboot.
Kept the system idle for few hours and then continuously getting system service exception.
After lot of debug, it was OS level issue, inappropriate driver installation, windows feature/update failure etc. (CHECK attachment)

Later again PC restarting issues with no errors etc. just turn on and it turned off in few minutes.
Further debugging:
Out of 4 ram slots on mobo two were faulty. (check attachment for faulty and working ram slots)
(ran memtest from windows 10 on all 4 slots individually with each 8 GB ram stick (kingston 8 gb and zion 8gb)
So far machine is stable, will run through this setup for a week, if no issues will keep old mobo or get new H61M motherboard as mentioned above..

Phhhhhhhhhhhh.. hope it works.

Attachments

• RAM SLOTS.jpg
    RAM SLOTS.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg