Linux Gnome 3 vs Unity

dp_008

Disciple
Hi guys,

Now that we have two version of the latest desktops : Unity and Gnome 3. Lets have a poll here and see what TE members like in general.

For people who are new to Gnome and Unity:
Gnome is one of the standard desktop environment that was used by Ubuntu last in 10.10 . But from Ubuntu 11.04, Canonical (The company which makes Ubuntu) shifted to its in-house developed Unity desktop environment. Unity
More about Canonical: Overview | Canonical

Gnome upgraded to version 3 with release of Fedora 15 on 24th May 2011, which is similar in concept of Unity (similar, but with huge difference in experience).
GNOME 3

With Unity and Gnome 3 kicking in, the whole concept of Desktop environment has now changed. The experience that a mobile user gets on using touch-phone is no more limited to cell-phones. The day is not far when similar experience (more or less the same) can be provided to user by mouse movements in place of fingers!

But two similar environments can hardly exist together in world. It is natural to have a more liked one. So, try both Unity and Gnome 3 and lets see what TE members like in mass :cool2:

Gnome3 anyday. Its fast, its slick, and more usable. APart from the dearth of GTK3 applications its all there.

Unity is way too buggy to be used in a normal usage. Add to this, the buggy application like banshee, software center and gwibber makes it even worse.

Well, I would say implementation also matters, and its the final thing that's considered ..for me, Fedora 15 feels better than Ubuntu 11.04 , although I expected Unity to be better given Ubuntu could be tweaked to perfection for it.

I am more interested in seeing which DE is chosen for Mint , I would really appreciate a modded Gnome 3 that would actually focus on usability than looks , the latter already the being the elite category (along with good 'ol KDE 4)

Still its the first round, I think Ubuntu 11.10 would be a do-or-die for Unity

Agreed with Tao, it will be a do-or-die situation for Unity in 11.10

KDE is very different man. It has a class of its own, targeted to people who really really want a cool desktop with eye-candy to max.

But it looks like Gnome is catching up. I really liked the feature in which you just need to take your mouse to top-left corner to open up the 'system-status' screen (sorry, couldn't find a better word for the screen that pops up). Its just amazing, no clicking and all.

Gnome 3 and Fedora 15 wins my vote for the DE and distro :)
even though there are some serious issues with running Gnome 3 on ATI cards :(

My vote is for Gnome 2 at the moment.Gnome shell and Unity are just too restricting.I'm waiting for Ubuntu 11.10 to try them both out again.

Back