Storage Solutions GoFlex 3TB blunders

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
I recently did an unplanned purchase of GoFlex Desk 3TB.
Because of temperature issues with the drive, I am planning to remove the drive and put it in a different enclosure.
Any one successful in this?

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
Too bad enclosure design.

Drive reaches 60 deg easily within 10-15 minits of heavy usage followed by system freezing .

Max temperature reached is 68 deg.

Any one using Airbox 3.5” eSATA / USB External Enclosure ?

Please tell me the current rating in the adapter. If they are same I will dump the build-in enclosure for this one.

St.John

Disciple
Mar 10, 2010
Shouldn't heat up so much even if the Casing isn't up to the mark.. looks like there is a problem with the HDD itself.. Run some tests by HDTune Pro (15 days trial, full functionality, download from the website), there are benchmark tests & read/write tests.. See whats causing the issue .. And as suggested already, send the HDD for RMA..

avi_avadhut

Adept
Apr 2, 2005
whats the price mate? coz i am planning for 2TB purchase...lets see if i can enjoy 3TB :) but i dont see it for Segate or WD coming with 3TB ??

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
Gaurish said:
Return the drive, say it heats up too much.
yes, I will try. But looking at the reviews and little bit of googling it seems heating is common to Go-flex. Even the Seagate is dismissing any side-effects of temperature for a query from AnandTec.
Also Does RMA works in India?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dOm1naTOr said:
Transcend Storejet 35 esata casing is nice, with a cooling fan on its side. Go for it.Priced at 2k, with 2 yrs international warranty.
Yes, it is. I did not find it anywhere other than Ebay

arrow004

Disciple
Sep 28, 2009
Have a 1 Tb goflex drive.Temp hovers ard 44-48 degrees for medium to heavy use.Only once it reach 49 degrees and that was when i transferred 400GB data from another rive.

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
I moved the hard disk to StoreJet 35 case and the temperature never goes above 45 :).

Now I have to think about some uses of GoFlex enclosure

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
Nov 4, 2007
Kottayam kerala
ya, the transcend 35 is really good for the price, and build too is great with brushed aluminium body with a super slip and silent fan. Only downside is the size, buy hey, it nothing bigger than a 3.5" external HDD.

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
After some firefight finally got eSata plug n play working in my system.

Thermaltake just introduced a nice looking case Max 5G
201012171056952850.jpg

Their Max 4G itself is not available here.

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
Nov 4, 2007
Kottayam kerala
My NZXT GAmma has esata which is kind of extending the mobo's internal sata port. I ve to open device manager and search for new device each time i connect any e-sata device. @ssr, how did u do it? does ur mobo has onboard e-sata?

My bro's toshiba lappy detects esata instantly like USB storage device. But still esata is freakingly fast compared to USB.

ssr

Disciple
Dec 6, 2009
Yes, I do have an eSata on the Motherboard.
But It should not matter.
If I am correct, u may be using SATA hdd in IDE/RAID mode.
To make eSATA Plug n play, u should use AHCI mode for SATA drives and update drivers for drive controllers.
in AHCI mode I can even unmount Drives connected to normal SATA ports.

For TA790GXB A2+ motherboard change the settings 'OnChip SATA Type' in 'SouthBridge Configuration' of the BOIS.
Also be-careful, After u change this the OS will not boot. So before switching the mode u need to load AHCI drivers in the OS.
Search the web for the details.