Going to Europe, need suggestion on carrying cash/CC

R0H!T

Adept
I am going to Europe by this month end. I need to carry about 1000 Euros with me. And I am wondering what would be the best alternatives from following:
1. Carry 1000 EUR in cash
2. Carry about 200 EUR in cash and rest in forex prepaid card
3. Carry about 200 EUR in cash and use existing HDFC International CC/DC for remaining amount
4. Carry about 200 EUR in cash and travelers checks for remaining amount

I think in case of option 3, the charges will be higher for CC/DC transactions.
I need to pay about 550 EUR in either cash or by CC for accommodation. So am wondering how easy is option 4?

Any other options? Also, please suggest forex prepaid card if option 2 (I have HDFC account)

Thanks!

I go with option 2 all the times as the cash is hardly used and prepaid cash card works everywhere, including ATMs.

Only problem I faced was with the hotels where they block some arbitrary amount, which temporarily reduces your balance on the card. You'll eventually get your money back but based on the exchange rates for the day, you may get back lesser amount.

Then I used my international CC for another trip and I was charged all sorts of fees (forex conversion, taxes etc.) plus, I had to face the usual issue of getting back lesser amount after a temporary hold period.

Then I got a local CC and that ended all of my worries.

If you don't have a foreign CC (local to the place you are visiting) then option# 2 will carry less charges. You may not be able pay thru cash in some of the hotels, so you need either a CC or prepaid cash card.

Back