CPU/Mobo Gonna buy a processor...help me out!

Gaucho14

Disciple
I'm either gonna buy a 1st hand Dual Core or 2nd hand Core2Duo...What i want to know is the importance of cache.!
I'm upgrading only for GAMING.
So my question is a 3.2Ghz Dual Core with 2mb cache would be better or a 2.66Ghz Core2Duo wid 4 or 6mb Cache?

If you are upgrading only for gaming then these days buying a quadcore processor is a must for building a gaming rig or a powerful dualcore processor like core i3 2100 along with a powerful GPU... If you would compromise on any of these you wouldn't get playable framerate... Btw what all components do you have currently? Your rigs config?

My budget is like 4.5k and to be brutally honest i just play FIFA :D

I'm getting a E8200(second hand) 2.66Ghz with 6mb cache for like 3k so should i go for dat....or E7xxx series with 3mb Cache and 2.8-3.0Ghz speed?

What is the current processor? Do you have any GPU? What is the power supply that you have?

It would help if you can give us your complete rig details rather than just saying you need a LGA775 processor.

Ok here it is man :)

Dual Core E2180 2Ghz,500W PSU,8800GT 512mb DDR3,4GB DDR2 RAM

And ya...would my Heatsink+Fan of E2180 be enough for E8200 also?Both have 65W rating going by the specs

500W PSU of I-Ball...see FIFA 11 i can play only on the low settings and i know its becoz of my Proccy...i had tried my friend's Core2Duo 3Ghz proccy...was working on High then!

So wat i question is dat...what shud i give more importance to while getting a proccy?Frequency or Cache?3.2Ghz 2mb cahce proccy better for gaming or 2.66Ghz 6mb cache? :)

Gaucho14 said:
500W PSU of I-Ball...see FIFA 11 i can play only on the low settings and i know its becoz of my Proccy...i had tried my friend's Core2Duo 3Ghz proccy...was working on High then!

So wat i question is dat...what shud i give more importance to while getting a proccy?Frequency or Cache?3.2Ghz 2mb cahce proccy better for gaming or 2.66Ghz 6mb cache? :)

Are you open to OCing? Then you can upgrade your power supply and OC the current processor.

Else selling your current processor would fetch you a ~1.2k i guess.

Given that your motherboard supports the latest 45nm Wolfdale (Check in the CPU support list in the manufacturer website) get a E6600 Wolfdale ~ 3.2k

Compare Intel® Products

It has 2MB Cache, clocked at 3.06GHz and a 1066 FSB. I would advice you to invest 3k money on a old processor who's warranty is over or will get over in a few months. The E6600 is more than enough to remove the CPU bottle neck considering the rest of the specs.

Also upgrade the I-Ball PSU to a Corsair CX430 V2 ~ 2.2k. It is a excellent budget PSU and offers 3 years warranty and also 80+ certified :)

As i said i'm getting a E8200 wid 2.66Ghz and 6mb Cache for 3K....Gud value?

And can u give a definite answer to this?For gaming a 3.2Ghz 2mb Proccy wud be better or 2.66Ghz 6mb proccy?

Gaucho14 said:
As i said i'm getting a E8200 wid 2.66Ghz and 6mb Cache for 3K....Gud value?

And can u give a definite answer to this?For gaming a 3.2Ghz 2mb Proccy wud be better or 2.66Ghz 6mb proccy?

AnandTech - Bench - CPU -> The E6600 has 10% higher clock than the E6300. So factor in ~7%-10% improvement in the games.

So not much a significant difference between a E8200 and E6600 considering both at stocks. keep in mind that the E8200 will be a pretty old one with very less or no warranty. So IMO the E6600 makes a lot more sense.

Your call anyways.

Ok...thanks a lot :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

One last thing....can my E2180 Heatsink+Fan be used for another processor if the other processor also has a power rating of 65w? :)

^^ Yes but don't do that your old Heat Sink Fan package will not be able to handle anything more than the coupled processor i.e. E2180, best will be you buy another OEM HSF for your new processor, can be had for as low as ~400/-.

And Sire no matter what up-grade your SMPS to a FSP Saga II 400W ~ 1900/- OR Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2200/-.

Hope this helps.

Back