Budget 0-20k Good brand of after-market laptop battery?

Pimpom

Disciple
I don't know if this question belongs in this section, but here goes:
I want to revive an old laptop - a 15-year-old Samsung RV509 - for use by someone who doesn't need a fast modern model. It still works fine except that the battery's quite dead of course.

Can anyone recommend a brand of after-market laptop batteries, preferably one that has earned a good reputation?

I'm going to ask a question and it's going to sound stupid, apologies in advance.

Have you considered using it as AC power only?

For old models, OEMs would have long stopped supply and the "1st copy" makes would also have stopped considering demand. You might get "2nd copy" ones but they will most definitely be poor performing models.

You have also not mentioned the city/state you're in. If you're in a tier 1 city, try the electronics market there. You might find refurbished ones with some kind of warranty. You would atleast have a storefront to go and create a scene if something goes wrong.

One other option is to buy 18650 cells from robu.in or ktron.in whose specs match the 18650 cells inside your battery and replace them.

Thanks for the response.
I'm going to ask a question and it's going to sound stupid, apologies in advance.

Have you considered using it as AC power only?
Of course it works with AC power but that severely limits its primary function as a laptop.
For old models, OEMs would have long stopped supply
That's a given. That's why I'm asking about after-market products.
and the "1st copy" makes would also have stopped considering demand. You might get "2nd copy" ones but they will most definitely be poor performing models.
Sure. It wouldn't be realistic to expect otherwise. I'm just looking for something that will provide, say, 1 hr or so of backup and doesn't die in a few months.
You have also not mentioned the city/state you're in. If you're in a tier 1 city, try the electronics market there. You might find refurbished ones with some kind of warranty. You would atleast have a storefront to go and create a scene if something goes wrong.
I live in a state capital but it's not tier 1. I know most of the computer shops here and I have no hope of finding what I need with them. I've looked at Amazon and some customer reviews claim that the seller honoured their warranty with a free replacement when the battery died within the warranty period.
One other option is to buy 18650 cells from robu.in or ktron.in whose specs match the 18650 cells inside your battery and replace them.
I'll consider that option. I've been in electronics for over 50 years (yeah, I'm an old guy) and have dealt with robu, ktron and many other electronics online shops.

The laptop is for my wife who retired last year (I'm 10 years older) and she needs a computer only for occasional typing in connection with her church and social activities. I'm also setting up a desktop for her. I got a new Ryzen and she can have my old FX-8350.

I already upgraded the laptop with more RAM and an SSD several years ago when our children were using it in college - first our daughter and then her younger brother. It's been lying idle for a long time now. It's a good product that never had a functional defect through years of heavy use and abuse and tens of thousands of km of travel. The original HDD didn't even have a single reallocated bad sector when I replaced it with an SSD.

Last edited:
I've used lapcare battery for an old lappy and worked well.
Yes those are generally ok. To OP, TPSTech sells them -

Thanks, manohar5321 and ibose.
I know about Lapcare. I bought one of their products a few years ago although it wasn't a battery.

I've bought some items from tpstech too. Their price for the battery is 1379/- vs 1471/- at Amazon. The advantage of buying from Amazon is their fantastic no-fuss return/replacement policy.

If you have access to any local trusted hardware store, you can have a look. I have bought a local brand battery from Nehru place and it worked well for around one year. The shop owner had guaranteed it for 6 months . Wrote phone number/date of purchase on battery etc as many do in LED bulbs.

Ask with your local trusted vendor. Most will try to sell whatever gives highest commision - be wary.

Once you zero in on the brand, run it through several charge-discharge cycles over a weeks time. At the same time, check the battery health after each cycle with powercfg /batteryreport

If you notice abnormalities or heating issues, get the battery changed.

To imvids and vivek, as I said in my second post above, I don't live in any of the major cities. I know most of the computer shops here and have no hope of finding what I need with them.

I don't know if this question belongs in this section, but here goes:
I want to revive an old laptop - a 15-year-old Samsung RV509 - for use by someone who doesn't need a fast modern model. It still works fine except that the battery's quite dead of course.

Can anyone recommend a brand of after-market laptop batteries, preferably one that has earned a good reputation?
LapGadgets - I have bought from them earlier and they have aftermarket batteries. Their service is also good as once they replaced a faulty battery which was not charging properly. I have bought some 3 to 4 laptop batteries from them and it has been a pleasant experience. I think your battery is also listed.

To imvids and vivek, as I said in my second post above, I don't live in any of the major cities. I know most of the computer shops here and have no hope of finding what I need with them.
In my opinion, it is a huge waste of time and money to spend 1500 on such an old laptop unless there is some sentimental attachment.
Better to buy a refurbished laptop or even a celeron based chromebook, etc. rather than spend time and money to get this working. It will be much faster and run longer.
In any case, these batteries are not worth this kind of money. They should be around 800 for the kind of backup they provide and how long they last (max a couple of years).

Go for Lapcare. They provide one year warranty also for their battery. I personally used on May laptops and their performance is satisfactory.
Try local store their you can check before buying and usually cheaper then online store. Transporting battery is generally costly and hence the online higher prices.

Back