Budget 15-20K Good Multimedia phone under 18k

prankie

Tech Addict
Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 18k will be sweet spot, 19k max (need for fiance)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT/OLED preferably IPS, will prefer if screen is HD
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Dislike Samsung.. won't go for Indian brands, open for rest
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: >5MP (preferable 8MP)
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Confused between WP8 and Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/Wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera (a lot!), music, games, email, whatsapp
10. Any other requirements?
A: Should have a front facing Camera, and good camera quality
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lumia 720 (but 512MB RAM, 480p screen is a let down, plus it won't play games smoothly so confused!!!)

Please don't give any options which involve importing phones from abroad. Will buy the phone within a week. Will prefer local deal, since we will be exchanging her old Galaxy R (which sucked)

Will appreciate your inputs.

Regards
Prankie

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Confused between WP8 and Android

Before a phone can be chosen, its the battle of OS at first, Android has the vastness of app updates, os updates, flashing, lotta of games and apps; but on the WP8, your quiet limited, most games are paid versions customizations is limited. Though you may get updates of OS for a period of 15 -18 months , though not sure beyond that.

If your only looking for the basic apps like FB, Whatsapp, an email client, browsing and a camera WP8 is good and smooth, my personal choice over Android.
But then all this grills down to whether you want more localised app, which then leads only to Android; or just the basics means you have the benefit of WP8

@abracadabra Thanks for the reply! Well I'm confused, since after using WP8 I was blown away by how fluid and simple the OS is, also it's a lot less resource hungry then Android (Even my One X lags sometimes on Android) , I had even zeroed in Lumia 720, but after reading some reviews I found that due to 512MB RAM, most of the new gaming titles won't run, and some of the existing titles lag on the device. My fiance won't be using too many local apps, just whatsapp, viber, facebook, email clients, youtube, and some popular games like temple run, angry birds, and all arcadish type titles. I also heard that temple run doesn't run on Lumia 720 due to low RAM.. that's why the confusion...
Yesterday I checked out XOLO Q1000.. which had quad core processor with 720p HD screen, it ticked most of my boxes but. LAVA reliability and an unknown brand were the negatives..
I feel 18-19k is a modest budget, and there should be better options?

Last edited by a moderator:
Xolo Q1000 is a MediaTek Processor right? I would avoid that and stick to Qualcomm and Nvidia! If you think the 720 lags in games then i would have to say that is not true at all. I have had hands on with one and i have played quite a number of games which did not lag one bit. And Temple Run runs very smoothly on it. If you still think that its not worth it and want to try a local brand like Xolo, then atleast wait for the Xolo Play. It has the same processor as the One X and will be around the 17-18k mark. Plus it will run android 4.2 out of the box.
If too many apps and games are not a requirement, then go with WP8. It has the most fluid interface!

LAVA reliability and an unknown brand were the negatives..
I feel 18-19k is a modest budget, and there should be better options?

I would say avoid brands like Xolo when you are spending ~20K. At this budget you can get Lumia 820 at 19.7K Link, if going with WP8. Since WP8 apps are better optimized 512MB RAM on L720 is quite good for running apps/future updates. OTOH L820 comes with 1GB RAM, so you can have complete peace of mind.

Edit: Here apply coupon and its less than 19K.

Lumia 820 is the max I could afford right now, but I don't feel local dealers would be offering it at such a low price. and I would prefer local deal since I will be exchanging the old Galaxy R... plus Lumia 720 looks and feels much better in hand.. let's see if I get a good deal on 820 here...

Go for Nokia Lumia 820 - Flipkart.com. Its 1GB ram wont disappoint you. Plus, Nokia has really worked on camera quality of Lumia series and this one comes with Carl Zeiss lens. Personally I really love the bold design of this phone.

Bought lumia 720.. Its a good phone but after switching from android, the notification system feels a bit outdated! Can I get multiple notifications on the notification bar?
Also there seems to be some problem with whatsapp.. After deleting Android's whatsapp account, when I setup the account on Lumia, the app failed to verify the number. Tried re-installing app 3 times, still no joy!

Congrats on purchase. Since I m not a WP8 user I wont be able to answer your other queries. Do post your impressions of device and if possible do a mini review. :)

Bought lumia 720.. Its a good phone but after switching from android, the notification system feels a bit outdated! Can I get multiple notifications on the notification bar?

No you can't, its just a single notification alert at a time. If you have live tiles on your home screens, you will know which one needs your attention without needing to go to the app. I believe a notification center like the one on android should be releasing by next year hopefully..

Also there seems to be some problem with whatsapp.. After deleting Android's whatsapp account, when I setup the account on Lumia, the app failed to verify the number. Tried re-installing app 3 times, still no joy!
Isn't whatsapp verification done via sms twice in 5-10 mins if failed you get the code via call. You mean that even after entering the code verification fails?

No Sms was sent. App starts, does some kind of processing after I enter the mobile number and I get an error. Have sent several mails to WhatsApp team, never got a reply.

Back