Google Nexus 7 Now Official . Will Launch In July For $199

Lol we'll cloud it at 512 kbps with a later FUP of 256 kbps, what's the big deal? :lol:

I'm Going for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 16 GB (Larger and cheaper Galaxy note?) + 32 GB Class 10 mSD

to be honest,this is incredibly overrated.
common masses are more than happy with a 8 gig storage and that is ultimately their target audience given the tablet price.

And what are the common masses going to use such a device for without storage? Skype or browsing the net on the move - without support for 3G? Reading books on an LCD? What is the use of Tegra 3 in this? If its media and gaming capabilities are stunted due to the storage limitation, They could just as well have gone with a last gen Dual core CPU and cut costs even further. To me this is looking a lot like the iPad : A broken tablet right out of the box. At the very least iPad has 3G and 64GB storage options if are willing to spend a premium, this doesn't even have that. Even the low price tag doesn't justify such feature omissions. It may be dead cheap, but its crippled to the point that it is not worth its cheap price tag.

No matter how you look at it, 16GB storage is peanuts for a device this like, heck I had more content on my old Galaxy S.

Ultimately, common masses may find no reason in not buying the device, but if they do buy, do they have any real use/need to justify the purchase ?

I agree with @lord partially. Where I agree that storage (especially for us common Indians are over-blown) , But at the same time I feel that most part of the world (except "maybe") Amerikha people want a sim slot in their tablets for data mainly if not calls. And especially in India people want it for sure. (Almost every one in south east asia want a simslot, In china people want 2 simslots :) )

Tablets are primarily supposed to be a device on which you can consume information on the go. And by not including a simslot in it is defeating it purposes of being a mobile device.

Atleast give an option of sim slot for people who want to pay for it. I'm sure with the current features and by addition of simslot 8GB @$250 is still a very compelling price.

By not including a sdcard slot Google tried to pull an Apple, But with further broken strategy ....There is a reason Apple iPad come with "MDM66xx series mobile module" if bought unlocked from apple it is an uber mobile devices and can be used across the world on different mobile bands and carriers.

Cost of MDM66xx mobile module to apple is just $8 and it charges over $100 for a 3G iPad. Google could've done it too... But well Google and it's alliance huh!..

And what are the common masses going to use such a device for without storage? Skype or browsing the net on the move - without support for 3G? Reading books on an LCD? What is the use of Tegra 3 in this? If its media and gaming capabilities are stunted due to the storage limitation, They could just as well have gone with a last gen Dual core CPU and cut costs even further. To me this is looking a lot like the iPad : A broken tablet right out of the box. At the very least iPad has 3G and 64GB storage options if are willing to spend a premium, this doesn't even have that. Even the low price tag doesn't justify such feature omissions. It may be dead cheap, but its crippled to the point that it is not worth its cheap price tag.

No matter how you look at it, 16GB storage is peanuts for a device this like, heck I had more content on my old Galaxy S.

Ultimately, common masses may find no reason in not buying the device, but if they do buy, do they have any real use/need to justify the purchase ?

So you agree that browsing,media consuming and the lot are most of the usages
1- browsing consumes minimum storage.
2- media consuming- most of the media consuming on the ipad or any other tablet is done through airvideo or emit and thus doesnt require storage.the odd trip may require a lot of media,say a season of lost,3 or 4 movies? 8 gb can more than acoomadate that.and hulu can stream a movie right to your device and hence doesnt require storage.
3- applications- if you use a smartphone then i guess you know it takes minimal space unless you load iti with a hell lot of apps.
4 - videocalling,facetime - nada
5 - professional documents,spreadsheets etc - again,minimum storage space.
6 - Pictures - i got more than 200 pics on my ipad and it sill hasnt run half the 16 gb which i have eventhough i am on the move currenly with 3 seasons of futurama.

Common masses will more than enjoy using 8 gigs of storage.infact take a trip to heera panna and the best selling storage cards are still 4 gb or less which proves these so called "heavy users" are a tiny bit.other markets may differ in storage,but this will be a hit in the indian maket given its price.it's not perfect,nor as good as the ipad but its a nice cheaper alternative which will find its appropriate market place given that there is no perception based pricing.

@Vantheman "this will be a hit in the indian maket given its price."

$199 + India Custom at 17 percent ($33) + Sales Tax Vat etc 12 percent ($24) = $256 x Rs. 57 = Rs. 14592 (Shipping extra) for 7" 8GB without sdcard slot, without simcard slot, no OTG possible means no pendrive no 3G dongle is for common Indian masses? huh!. (",)

Last edited by a moderator:
If priced at 13 k,i am fairly convinced it will be a hit in a few markets.will i be right given the reasons i said or will you be right by your reasons?
Only time will answer this to be honest.we can just wait and see!

Every Market has their own physiological prices point barriers , Below that physiological price point barrier "masses" feel kind of comfortable. Amerikhens has $199, Britishers 149pounds , Europeans €149, Chinese RMB / Yuan 499 / 299.

Same with Indians Rs. 9999 and Rs. 4999 is physiological price point barrier. Until you break this physiological price point barrier with some compelling product. Masses won't come along easily.

Let's hope for the best.
Google is big, Powerful and Wealthy. They can do it with Nexus 7, If they really want to.

Peace.

Back