Android Google Play snatches my Rs. 50

Gryph0n

Adept
I just purchased GoneMAD Music Player on Google Play (its on sale @ Rs. 118 from 4th July till today).

Right after my transaction, I received 2 email alerts from my credit card:

1.>Your Credit Card XXXX has been used for a transaction of INR 50.00 at GOOGLE *MARKETPLACE (July 07, 2013; xx:54:44 hrs)

2.>Your Credit Card XXXX has been used for a transaction of INR 118.48 at GOOGLE *GoneMAD (July 07, 2013; xx:55:02 hrs.)

Why did Google Play make a grab for Rs. 50? The purchase transaction page on Play had only showed the transaction for Rs. 118.

FWIW, this is the first time I've bought something on Google Play. I've used an ICICI Virtual Credit Card instead of an actual card, but I don't think that it makes a difference.

I have used Google Wallet/Checkout for purchasing a HumbleBundle before, and the amount charged to the Virtual Credit Card was exactly same as shown on the purchase transaction page.

Yes.. As already mentioned above, Google wallet always charges Rs.50 the first time a card is used.. This is just for verification purpose, and will be credited back within a few days.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of this behaviour. The amount is too small to loose any sleep about, but it is very irksome to (apparently falsely) think that you've been taken advantage of.

Awwww, RTFM, I guess u blindly click on "I agree"?

Possibly. I do remember checking the final amount being billed, which didn't mention the extra amount.

Anyway, if they want to act counter-intuitive to normal expected behaviour, I think that they need to go out of their way to highlight this to customers.

Simply put, one expects 1+1=2 every time. If you define 1+1=5 for the first transaction, it is unexpected behaviour, and the burden is on you to scream this out.

I need some help related to this - is there anyways to buy an app for someone else without registering the card to his G account?

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of this behaviour. The amount is too small to loose any sleep about, but it is very irksome to (apparently falsely) think that you've been taken advantage of.
This is a standard practice with most of the online transaction sites, till the credit card is verified. They charge 1$ or its equivalent usually. Apart from Google, I've seen Paypal, Apple store etc. also doing the same.

Ref:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

This is a standard practice with most of the online transaction sites, till the credit card is verified. They charge 1$ or its equivalent usually. Apart from Google, I've seen Paypal, Apple store etc. also doing the same.

Ref:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

Hmm. Thanks for the info. I had heard before about Paypal doing this, but wasn't aware of any others.

Most of my stuff I have bought online were within India itself. I hadn't seen this behaviour in the few international transactions I've done.

In fact, I had done international transactions with Google itself via Google Wallet/Checkout, and didn't see this behaviour there. So it threw me off to see this happening with Google Play, and that too on a transaction billed in INR.

Back