Google's Chrome OS revealed

gaganjain

Adept
Google had a low-key event today to preview Chrome OS, its new operating system based on Linux and the Chrome browser. Things are still pretty early -- it's not even in beta yet, let alone on shipping products -- but that's the first official screen shot right there, and the big features are all roughed out. The entire system is web-based and runs in the Chrome browser -- right down to USB drive contents, which show up in a browser tab, and the notepad, which actually creates a Google Docs document. Web apps are launched from a persistent apps panel, which includes Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and Hulu, among others, and background apps like Google Talk can be minimized to "panels" that dock to the bottom of the screen. Local storage is just used to speed up the system -- everything actually lives in the cloud, so all it takes to swap or borrow machines is a login, and you're good to go.

Google's Chrome OS revealed

YouTube - What is Google Chrome OS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ57xzo287U

It's SURELY NOT for people who cannot have 24 x 7 high speed internet connectivity. Forget about connectivity we don't even have 24 x 7 electricity here :eek:hyeah: In short not for us! :p

amol_cool said:
It's SURELY NOT for people who cannot have 24 x 7 high speed internet connectivity. Forget about connectivity we don't even have 24 x 7 electricity here :eek:hyeah: In short not for us! :p

I tend to agree with your statement. And ofcourse, I don't know how it can be a new OS, if they are repackaging gnu/linux.

+LT

^Its not just repacking linux. They are doing cool things on the kernel level so that it loads up real fast (like not using the present boot loader).

But the remaining concept is pretty hard practically. As posted earlier, it will be very difficult to use Chrome in India. But im sure, ppl will add support for HDDs as its OSS and make it installable on present day netbooks (if there are no hardware issues).

amol_cool said:

Lol, bang on target. Here in India, depending on time of the year and region, we've 1-4 hrs powercut daily, minimum 2-3 hrs downtime for the average Indian ISP. On rare occasions downtime can be of 4-5 days. Running everything on the cloud just isn't practical.

random2 said:
^Its not just repacking linux. They are doing cool things on the kernel level so that it loads up real fast (like not using the present boot loader).

Can you explain more on that? Is it just removing some modules or adding there own modules? Sill it remains GNU/linux. Have they written there own kernel with its own stack? No, then its not a new OS.
+LT

^ As long as its offering its users a new user experience, I would term it as new. Its not that Google is coming up with another distro.

linuxtechie said:
I don't know how it can be a new OS, if they are repackaging gnu/linux.

Well if Apple can rip off Free BSD/NetBSD, add a pile of crap on top of it and sell it off as their own OS, then I don't see why Google can't. At least Google tries to improve stuff rather than breaking it.

Lord Nemesis said:
Well if Apple can rip off Free BSD/NetBSD, add a pile of crap on top of it and sell it off as their own OS, then I don't see why Google can't. At least Google tries to improve stuff rather than breaking it.

A fork is a different ball game, its all together different code and hence different OS. However if you are using the same kernel call, then its not a different OS.
random2 said:
^ As long as its offering its users a new user experience, I would term it as new. Its not that Google is coming up with another distro.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

+LT

Just watched the video, interesting concept for very low powered netbooks and the likes, with a 3g connection, but for a full desktop, I don't think it's happening. How will I play my games? If nothing is stored on the comp, what happens to the TBs of storage people have these days? :S

arun687 said:
Just watched the video, interesting concept for very low powered netbooks and the likes, with a 3g connection, but for a full desktop, I don't think it's happening. How will I play my games? If nothing is stored on the comp, what happens to the TBs of storage people have these days? :S

Hmm, probably it should be made clear that its a cloud os concept and hence nothing remains on your desk :p
+LT

wouldn't it be inconvenient or klutzy to stuff all your computer (media, games, file manager etc..) in a single browser??

Hear Me! Hear Me!

To all those who wanna get their clammy claws on the Chrome beauty, check this torrent link. Just click to download it. Now its a Virtual Machine disk so u gonna need a VMWare or Sun's Virtual Box to run it. More details here.

Those lazy b!tches who don wanna read the lengthy stuff, its just a Virtual Hard disk, use it to create an Ubuntu Virtual machine, yup that's right its the Ubuntu baby!

Back