Got an SSD; How to set it up? [Noob alert!]

Sarath_

Adept
What I want to do?
Install OS on the SSD

Why am I making a fuss about such a simple task?
I got myself a 128GB SSD Vertex 4. I have Win 7 installed in my PC on a 1TB HDD. I want to wipe the HDD clean and am doing a back up (copying my stuff) as we speak. I wish to install the OS on the SSD - Win 8. I want to know how to go about it. I cannot do a upgrade type of install.

About me:
I know absolutely nothing about computers and how they work. I can however identify all the ports on the mobo and even make out which are marvell controlled SATA ports on it (which I read I have to avoid for an SSD). I can do most basic settings etc but nothing at an advanced level nor do I have access to someone who has a know how of it all. I read also about changing some setting in BIOS, some ECHI or other jargon :|

I only do stuff with my PC, after going thorough advice from forum members.

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

1 PROCESSOR INTEL CORE i5 2500k 10395
2 MOTHERBOARD ASUS P8P67 PRO 12600
3 RAM G-SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 2625
4 GRAPHIC CARD SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB 21000
5 HDD SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12 RPM 2625
6 DVD WRITTER SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD 945
7 PSU COSAIR GS700 6300
8 CASE NZXT TEMPEST EVO 6300

What I intend to do?
Install second drive i.e. the SSD > Upgrade firmware
Format 1TB HDD
Do different kind of settings and optimisation for SSD in BIOS and umm dunno what else
Install Win 8 in SSD
Organise folders and throw program files folder into HDD (which I have no idea how)

I have been readning up on SSDs and this is what I assumed out of all the reading that I have to do. But my confidence about it is 50%. So need some re assurance about the steps I am to follow.

Thanks for looking

There is no need to format the 1TB HDD. After installing the OS on the SSD, you can simply delete the windows files from the HDD.

Just install the SSD, then upgrade the firmware, and then install the OS on it and then select to boot into the SSD from the BIOS

Should I install the SSD now as a 2nd drive and then upgrade the firmware or should I just do it before I am installing windows?

I am reading many guides and I do not undestand how am I supposed to upgrade different firmwares? Like are they done before or after installing the fresh OS ? (coz I don't know if it is possible before the OS installation)

- - - Updated - - -

I read up a little. It seems I have to install the SSD as a 2nd drive to update the FW using OCZ Toolbox and set up AHCI in BIOS. Going to do it now.

Back