Graphic Cards GPU for animation...help!

cooler2005

Disciple
Hi Guys

I plan to buy a GPU for a friend's pc.

This is the configuration i've decided she should go for.

CPU - Intel Core i5 750
Mobo - Intel DH55TC
GPU - nvidia GTS 250 / GTS 240 (not sure how much memory both of them come with and which would suit her needs)
HDD - Western Digital Blue 500GB
SMPS - CM 400W
Cabinet - CM Elite 310
KBB/Mouse - Logitech
UPS - APC 550VA

The only thing i'm not sure about is the GPU....I chose GTS250 but i see many variants of ATI/Sapphire as well such as HD5770. now the main purpose of the rig would be animation development (usage of maya, max, photoshop and all other designing softwares) and sometimes games of high quality (like street fighter/nfs/COD/CS-Source)

I am a total n00b when it comes to GPU's . I measure them with respect to their memory.

Kindly help me in choosing the best GPU within her budget that can fulfill at least the animation development needs completely if not gaming.

The thread is located here...

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/my-first-rig-selection-advice-needed-166151.html

look for nvidia quadro and ati fire series GPUs. They are purely meant for 3D design and perform lot better than these gaming cards (for design work).

QUADRO FX580 : around 10k
FirePro 2260 : around 10k
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 : around 8k

Go with the FX580 ...

Will help plenty while rendering...

And no it is not for Gaming... kind of the opposite...it is for production purposes.

cooler2005 said:
unhh,..i want a GPU which can help me play high quality games as well :)

Trust me if you get a GTS series ... rendering good quality stuff will be a PITA (and im just saying good..not high quality)

A GTS250 or similar ati card would be good enough for her needs. Quadro/FireGL are not required for normal 3D users, and these cards make no difference whatsoever in rendering.

nice! and what's with (nvidia)GDDR3 and (sapphire HD5770)GDDR5 and one supports DX10 while the other DX11....if we compare all this sapphire one seems nice....but are these points worth comparing??

get them one of the nvidia cards , whichever she can afford dude , rendering engines are going to be powered by CUDA technology in this year , some already are , but really you dont need a quadro , any gaming card which she can afford will work perfectly fine
hey i still work with a 8800 :p

zhopudey said:
A GTS250 or similar ati card would be good enough for her needs. Quadro/FireGL are not required for normal 3D users, and these cards make no difference whatsoever in rendering.

Seriously?

How models/clips have you rendered? and in what software?

zhopudey said:
and these cards make no difference whatsoever in rendering.

Ur kidding right !!!? Then explain why workstations use quadro series and not geforce ?
Quadros might not give a great deal of advantage in gaming, though you get more support in terms of drivers for quadro series from companies like Autodesk. They usually don give support for non Quadro series or even non FireGL.

If she's gonna be working on a lot of dyanamics/rendering work then the quadro with a xeon processor and lots of ram would be recommended. If its gonna be just animation and modeling work the config u suggested is more than enough. With any combination make sure u got a lot of memory stuffed in the rig.

Back