Budget 0-20k GPU for old PC

ajayd

Disciple
I use an old PC bought in 2013 with the following configuration
i5 3470 processor
8gb ram
500gb ssd
450w antec psu
gigabyte b75m-d3h motherboard (max screen resolution 1920x1200)

I am using samsung b2230 21.5 inch monitor now. Planning to upgrade to 32 inch 4k or a 34 inch 1440p ultrawide. Please suggest me a budget graphic card with 4k resolution compatible with my motherboard.

Use case : stock market charts, some programming

is the psu sufficient for adding graphic card or do I need to upgrade it too?

Also suggest a UPS for the above PC.

15k(max20k) budget for gpu and ups combined.

Thanks in advance ! :)

Last edited:
your 450W psu is sufficient to run that setup with any of 710/730/1030.
None of them SUPPORTS 4K, 4K support starts from 1050Ti/1060/1070/1080/2000 series!!! for the processor OP has. Moreover, one must use WINDOWS 10 to enjoy 4K to reduce processor overhead.

Last edited:
None of them SUPPORTS 4K, 4K support starts from 1050Ti/1060/1070/1080/2000 series!!! for the processor OP has. Moreover, one must use WINDOWS 10 to enjoy 4K to reduce processor overhead.
GT 710 and 730 support 4k, and so does the 1030 most definitely - and OP's processor should have no problem running 4k with a 1030 if this video is anything to go by. While the original release of GT 710 was limited to 4k30hz, the re-release from last year supports up to 4x 4k60hz displays simultaneously.

GT 710 and 730 support 4k. While the original release of GT 710 was limited to 4k30hz, the re-release earlier this year supports up to 4x 4k60hz displays simultaneously.
supporting a technology is really fantastic, but such GPUs HAVE REALLY THE POWER to process such a huge data, i am wondering.....

These days articles will not give good evidence, do we have a Youtube video of 710 taking the brunt of 4K Processing, when the CPU is just relaxing while the 710 is working. :p

supporting a technology is really fantastic, but such GPUs HAVE REALLY THE POWER to process such a huge data, i am wondering.....
For basic display purposes, such as rendering web pages, ui elements, spreadsheets etc yes they definitely do. Even my mirrorless camera with a dual core low power ARM processor can output 4K60hz full depth 8bit video over micro HDMI (Fujifilm X-T20), and so can Raspberry Pis. A GPU with over 100 CUDA cores, even considering the age of the 700 series' architecture, should be able to easily handle running multiple 4k displays for all office and basic tasks - there's a reason these low power cards are called "display GPUs".
710 taking the brunt of 4K Processing,
What exactly do you think is the 710 gonna process in 4K? As I have stated before, these are meant for just adding (additional) display capability to a build. No one is going to use these for 4K playback or video editing obviously, but they can sure "take the brunt" of rendering basic day to day tasks very well on a 4K display.

Last edited:
For basic display purposes, such as rendering web pages, ui elements, spreadsheets etc yes they definitely do. Even my mirrorless camera with a dual core low power ARM processor can output 4K60hz full depth 8bit video over micro HDMI (Fujifilm X-T20), and so can Raspberry Pis. A GPU with over 100 CUDA cores, even considering the age of the 700 series architecture, should be able to easily handle running multiple 4k displays for all office and basic tasks - there's a reason these low power cards are called "display GPUs".
I appreciate @TheCoolerPlayer for his interests in using (g)olden items to achieve latest processing efforts. as u hv listed PI, and many, in Reality they all SKIP MANY FRAMES as they don't have such processing power and give you an illusion, that they are achieving it without stuttering.

A Forum that discusses the best https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/minimum-gpu-for-4k-video-no-gaming.3457341/

I myself have experienced i5-3570, with gtx 1070, the CPU need 9% to 30% usage while 1070 hits 50% in processing 4K Video, but with GTX 660 still i can watch 4K video, but the CPU will be used hefty like constant 90%hit.

So we had a big thread going on that isnt it @TheCoolerPlayer and it's here -> https://techenclave.com/threads/ryzen-5000-apus-launched-in-india.200125/page-3
GT 710 and 730 support 4k, and so does the 1030 most definitely - and OP's processor should have no problem running 4k with a 1030 if this video is anything to go by. While the original release of GT 710 was limited to 4k30hz, the re-release from last year supports up to 4x 4k60hz displays simultaneously.
i enjoyed that video @TheCoolerPlayer, But the STUTTERING I couldn't withstand, even @ the end , the Creator of that clip said, don't expect 4K VIDEO :p,

Last edited:
What exactly do you think is the 710 gonna process in 4K? As I have stated before, these are meant for just adding (additional) display capability to a build. No one is going to use these for 4K playback or video editing obviously, but they can sure "take the brunt" of rendering basic day to day tasks very well on a 4K display.

if OP just want to have 4K display for day to day rendering tasks is practically funny, anybody who goes for a 4K Display will certainly expect 4K PLAYBACK and 4K GAMING eventually. Y would some one invest such a hefty money for 4K Display just to do trivial tasks does not sound SANE.

if OP just want to have 4K display for day to day rendering tasks is practically funny, anybody who goes for a 4K Display will certainly expect 4K PLAYBACK and 4K GAMING eventually. Y would some one invest such a hefty money for 4K Display just to do trivial tasks does not sound SANE.
There are a lot of people who have additional Monitors on which they don’t watch 4K videos all day. For eg, day traders, software devs, spreadsheet people, accountants etc.

There are a lot of people who have additional Monitors on which they don’t watch 4K videos all day. For eg, day traders, software devs, spreadsheet people, accountants etc.
Hmm, A 4K Monitor is PRACTICALLY a quad arrangement of 21inch monitors, IMHO, 4 x 21 inch monitorS will cost less than a 4K monitor for use and is a wise SETUP ;)

Hmm, A 4K Monitor is PRACTICALLY a quad arrangement of 21inch monitors, IMHO, 4 x 21 inch monitorS will cost less than a 4K monitor for use and is a wise SETUP ;)
Some people do require extra ppd, such as photo and video editors, people who do design work etc.
And before you say it, no they don’t actually use the 710 as a render gpu - it is just used to output 4k to an additional display whereas everything is rendered on the main gpu. Hence the name “display gpu”
And 4k is not a quad arrangement of 21” monitors - what if those monitors are 1440p? Resolution does not correlate to size of display.

Some people do require extra ppd, such as photo and video editors, people who do design work etc.
And before you say it, no they don’t actually use the 710 as a render gpu - it is just used to output 4k to an additional display whereas everything is rendered on the main gpu. Hence the name “display gpu”
And 4k is not a quad arrangement of 21” monitors - what if those monitors are 1440p? Resolution does not correlate to size of display.
hmm, OK, the best fit for 1080p is a 21"monitor and if you make a quad of HD it becomes 4K hence a quad setup of 21" Monitor is practically the right monitor size for 4K, but it is obviously a personal choice coz, if u wanna increase the PPI u can still watch 4K in a 27" monitor. So i have no interest in arguing a personal choice,

Yes i agree with extra Monitor, and still i will not choose 710 for that, instead i will go for 1030. But a good point of explanation @TheCoolerPlayer .

Go for a used Rx 480 or Rx 570 bro. They perfectly fit with cpu u mentioned, Plus a 450w psu is enough to run these GPUs no need to buy a new one.

The PC that you currently have can support a 4k display according to Intel . You do not need a graphics card for a single 4k or a 1440 Monitor . Most low end graphic cards are not that infinitely better than the Intel display and they actually are a headache getting the right drivers , power supply ,cooling etc ..

With regard to the UPS get a 1kva from APC , Eaton . If you can afford external battery connection much better .

The PC that you currently have can support a 4k display according to Intel . You do not need a graphics card for a single 4k or a 1440 Monitor . Most low end graphic cards are not that infinitely better than the Intel display and they actually are a headache getting the right drivers , power supply ,cooling etc ..

With regard to the UPS get a 1kva from APC , Eaton . If you can afford external battery connection much better .
The CPU can output 4K from its iGPU but the mobo cannot. It's limited to 1920x1200 only, as the op has stated.
Given this, finding a new mobo is way more effort than just adding a gpu

The CPU can output 4K from its iGPU but the mobo cannot. It's limited to 1920x1200 only, as the op has stated.
Given this, finding a new mobo is way more effort than just adding a gpu
I am assuming that the Mobo cannot output 4k over HDMI . It should be able to do it over DVI-D . If the graphics processor (in this case the CPU) can support 4k I see no reason why it cannot output the same over DVI. I can understand that doing it over HDMI would be limiting .

Back