Graphic Cards GPU question: Integrated vs Dedicated

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
Hi,
If I get a Mobo with on-board graphics and then add an independent GPU.
Would I be able to use switch between their usage while running the PC to help save power with the onboard (for normal usage) and the Dedicated GPU (when gaming etc.)?

Or is this not possible and depends on the OS?

TIA

tkin

Adept
May 31, 2009
Kolkata
This is not possible on desktops, only possible on laptops, look for switchable graphics or nvidia optimus branding.

hunt3r

Skilled
Feb 17, 2006
Not possible on desktop at the moment, but this might be possible on Sandy bridge using a Tech developed by Lucid. Last i read it wont be available until March

tkin

Adept
May 31, 2009
Kolkata
hunt3r said:
Not possible on desktop at the moment, but this might be possible on Sandy bridge using a Tech developed by Lucid. Last i read it wont be available until March
Lucid's option does not power down the gpu as the op wants.

hunt3r

Skilled
Feb 17, 2006
tkin said:
Lucid's option does not power down the gpu as the op wants.
Oh i didnt know that, from what i had read i thought the Lucid solution works pretty much like Optimus

Boot_Comp said:
So then the max number of monitors we can accommodate would be 2 (considering that most GPU's come with 2 ports)?

Im not entirely sure how multi monitor support works with Optimus. The display out is from the motherboard, and so i think it would depend on the number of display outs the motherboard supports

de.das.dude

Disciple
Oct 3, 2010
Kolkata
buy a hybrid crossfire compatible mobo and an ati card compatible with that chipset. then it would work.
who says it dont work in desktop.
even ati cards run in low power mode when not stressed.
and last thing, check for the label of min and max power consumption of your PSU. if its not much of a difference, beeter not burden yourself with trying to lower for just 10W savings :p