Audio GR07 or FXT90..Confused

pradi

Disciple
Guys...I recently decided to upgrade my earphones and after lots of research over the last month or so finalized on GR07 & FXT90. The problem is the more I read (TE, headfi, any and everyother website/forum)...the more I am getting confused.
<

I am a noob when it comes to understanding the technical jargon used and therefore dont really understand if the "sound signature" of either one will suit me...or even the diff in their presentation or dynamic range (in fact reading abt that is what confused me between the two
<

I wouldnt want something with too much bass...and I listen to pretty much every kind of genre...incl our very own hindi, tamil songs...

budgetwise I am fine with the above two but cant go beyond it...hope this will help you to tell me which to purchase...

also one more question will a single 11mm driver of GR07 be better over the 2 5mm drivers of FXT90.

Any reason to choose these two in particular? How about EX-600, RE-262, DBA-02 mkII, Brainwavz B2, Atrio MG7, Etymotic HF5, FX500, Radius DDM-1 (used) and others?

What are your current ear phones (and past ones you have liked / disliked)? What source are you using currently?

To answer your last question first - Number of drivers, size of the driver, driver material, housing design and material - all are important because each of them lends something to the final sound. But they do not necessarily indicate which is better and which is not. Personally I like the larger, but single driver of EX-1000 over both the ones you have shortlisted. I also like the 10mm JVC FX700 much over GR07. In turn, I liked GR07 over some dual dynamics like Radius DDM-1 and a slight bit over FXT90 overall. But, that's just me.

Neither of them qualify as 'bass-head' IEMs, so you need not worry about too much bass
<

If you want just one out of the two, go for FXT90 because it's cheaper. Even though I consider GR07 to be a notch up overall technically, it's not a great difference to lose sleep over. At the end of the day, each of them does something better than the other. Once you learn what you like / dislike in FXT90, may be your next upgrade would be much more easier.

Reviews, especially those with comparisons (like Joker), help much more if you have any of the IEMs being referred to (a reference / baseline with the reviewer). Otherwise, searching for how the IEM sound like from reviews is pretty difficult.

FXT90 is pleasantly colored and musical with good weighty mids (someone compared it to 262). Although coming from more analytical IEMs I did notice the slight mid bass hump but acclimatized to it after listening. Instrument separation, soundstage and imaging is pretty good for the price. Never heard GR07.

@esanthosh

How is the treble extension of GR07 compared to FXT90 ?

Which one is better to your taste - FXT90 or Tandem ?

How is the treble extension of GR07 compared to FXT90 ?

Which one is better to your taste - FXT90 or Tandem ?

I sold the GR07 and kept the FXT90, so judging from memory would be a poor substitute for A:B. That plus my ears are rolled off as well. But, I like FXT90's presentation of treble slightly (With bass, it could be the reverse). GR07 is a little handicapped by the bump in the sibilance region making it a tad harsher. FXT90 is sparkly, energetic, but also clean and detailed. If I have to speculate, I'd say neither of them have that last mile of extension which DBA-02 / CK10 has.

I've not spent much time with the Tandem. But from what little I've heard, I prefer the FXT90 by a little margin so far.

Thanks for your response guys...

@ Santosh - to reply to your questions...

ex600 - I did look at them but my current budget itself was a strecth from 100$ that I started out with. So do you think the extra amount required above the GR07 and FXT90 would be justified in the ex600. Also am not sure abt the fit

abt the Remaining: My friend is coming back from US for a couple of weeks and i am looking to order from there...I would like to go with a safe bet as againt purchasing something that will need to be shipped back in case there is an issue...as I know ppl traelling back to us..

While the above were the reasons...if you would suggest any of them to be significantly better than the two I mentioned...I am willing to probably take the risk..

Source: Currently using the my Desire and Laptop...though I have ordered the Clip+ and should have it by the time the phone come thru

Current Earphone: I was using Sennheiser Earbuds for quite sometime...after it broke I borrowed my friends Denon IEM's...which is when I noticed the improved difference and started enjoying IEMs..prior to that couldnt think of shoving something into my ears
<

Lastly for a newbie like me...do you guys think it will be an overkill to go for this range or would you suggest that I purchase something in the sub 100$ range and upgrade later

#Pradi, use the # <user name> - a much easier way to alert me / anybody else about replying
<

My reply is a little longer. Hope you have patience to read it...

On buying options

First off, EX-600 can be had for cheap from eCom, which has a decent Reseller rating too. I have seen them sold at $135 or so every now and then. So, if you are not in a hurry, you can wait and get them for about the same price as FXT90. With FXT90 and GR07, you must source it via eBay as I am not sure about their availability in the US. For FXT90, refer this post. For GR07 - official reseller has it for $159 and another has it for $149 (I am not sure about the official seller status in the second case). So roughly, all of them are around the $150-160 range.

Which one to consider?

I have not personally heard the EX-600, so I am going to go by impressions which say that it is a slightly unrefined version of EX-1000. I would say that the three are more or less around the same region in terms of SQ. They differ in terms of signature and presentation, so there's no saying who will like which. But, as an upgrade from the lower tier IEMs, I think all three of them are a good step-up into/close to the 'top-tier' territory. In general, you cannot go wrong with any of them.

If you want something 'musical', go with either FXT90 or EX-600.

If you want something that looks like a premium product, go with EX-600.

When it comes to the question of fit, I agree that EX-1000 is a little weird when you look at it. I have no issues with the fit or comfort even when wearing for longer periods. It does look like an alien implanted ear extension when I look in the mirror, but then I have lived with the 'pink panther' AD700 which looked like a prop from "Mars Attacks". GR07 is by far one of the most comfortable IEMs I have ever used. It practically disappeared into my ears. I do not have issues with FXT90 either, but it does have a bit of driver flex on both sides with the stock tips I am using.

GR07 is a very good IEM which has a nice bass and mid range. But the sibilance was the issue for me i.e., whenever singer stresses 'sss', it strains your ears like a shrieking sound. It needs a very good EQ (plenty of related posts can be found on head-fi) and/or a foam (GR07 comes with one, IIRC). It's end to end impressive, but not so much for me to keep it around when I reduced my collection. I retained the FXT90 over it as I wanted some signature variety in what I have. CK10 is a better analytical IEM, RE272 is better balanced and plays nicely, EX-1000 is neutral as well as enjoyable, so GR07 had to go.

FXT90 is a good IEM, not as great as their flagship FX700, but a really good in it's own way especially considering it's price point. The reason I chose this over GR07 is that GR07, FWIW, is a little 'dry' in the timbre department compared to FXT90. By timbre, I mean instruments sound a bit more natural with FXT90 or for simplicity sake, sweeter sounding.

EX-600 will sound a little different from both. It has a wide sound stage - by which I mean, you will hear something like this [Image posted below to save you a click]
f63f91a6_soundstage.png

Just imagine standing at the center of a large hall with sounds coming at you from corners of the hall - that might be closer to how you feel about the 'stage' of EX-600. If EX-1000 is any indication, it should be pretty good.

I would suggest you check out FXT90. If it bothers you after a while, may be you can switch to something better a year or two down the line.

Upgrading IEMs as a newbie

Everybody starts as a newbie. The art of buying an IEM is limited to knowing what you want clearly - as is the case with every purchase in every field. The reason most things get complicated when you start out is the need to wade through jargon much like financial literature. Just know that some of these things are important - you are better off knowing what's your taste about bass, how much treble you can take and how you like mids and sound stage. That will help you pick and choose your costlier upgrades easily. Unfortunately for us, the chance to audition different kinds of IEMs is very limited. Friends or fellow audiophiles on TE can be a good source for trying them out without needing to shell out money.

I personally took the route of buying and experiencing a few IEMs at every price point before moving on to the higher priced ones. It is good in one way as you have a rough idea of what each price range brings, the good options to consider at each price range, the law of diminishing returns and so on. On the other hand, it is costly, at times messy, unnecessary and downright evil for the wallet. I liked it because it is an educational experience for me - a costly one, but well worth it. I had the chance to experience different kinds of signature - thick and thin sounding, different kinds of balance (bass heavy, mid-centric, treble tilted), different kinds of sound stage - all of which helped me find my own signature preference and in a way, helped shape it better. Without all that wasteful expenditure, I would not have learned to like very different sounding IEMs.

Not everybody need to 'pay their dues' so to speak. You can directly buy a custom or a $200 IEM and be done with it rather than trying 4-5 IEMs at different price points. It cuts down on unnecessary costs and time factor. I'd suggest you stick to the plan unless you have an issue with your budget.

Back