Audio Grado sr225i or shure srh840 owners?

So I am really confused between these two.I want a forward mid range.Open n closed both acceptable.95% of my music is rock.I am more inclined towards grado but worried about the hot highs.Anyone in Delhi/gurgaon kind enough to let me try them(just for a few minutes)?I dont wanna spend 10K and then feel stupid.I will be really grateful!!!:hail::hail::hail:

Hi sarthak, I would personally recommend the sr255i. The midrange on the sr225 are more detailed, the soundstage is much larger and the bass is a lot more punchy and fast. I found the srh840 to lack character as it doesn't do anything well. I do agree that the grado's analytical sound and the treble can make it a bit fatiguing after a session of say 4-5 hours of listening, especially if you are listening to heavy metal. I use my sr225i's for a lot simpler compositions and save the heavy listening for my hd600 as it is a lot more relaxed compared to the grados.

+1 to the Grados ......................can't go wrong with them. Slightly coloured sound but guitars and vocals sound great. Where are you buying them from btw.

Thanx guys.I will go for grado.
For srh840 i was gonna go for snapdeal.Its around 10.7k.For 225i,i have to wait a couple of months and get it through some relatives in US.
What will be the amp requirement??I have a budget upto 5k for amp/DAC.I own creative XFI 5.1 soundblaster USB pro though i've heard that its amp sucks!!

Thanx guys.I will go for grado.
For srh840 i was gonna go for snapdeal.Its around 10.7k.For 225i,i have to wait a couple of months and get it through some relatives in US.
What will be the amp requirement??I have a budget upto 5k for amp/DAC.I own creative XFI 5.1 soundblaster USB pro though i've heard that its amp sucks!!

They don't need amp and most sources drive them easily. They do however scale really well and sound great when amped with almost anything. Think you should look at a budget amp/DAC combo, think that might give you a better experience than just an amp out of your pc.

Even something like the Fiio E17 should do, check the model number with other members.....I'm not quite sure when it comes to the Fiio range. The Head Room Total Bit-Head is another option that should suffice, its 105 usd shipped in the US I think. The E17 is a bit more.

I used to own a Hippo Cri Cri + ........ great little device, amazing for the price. Should be able to get one at about 90/100 usd used on head-fi

Even something like the Fiio E17 should do, check the model number with other members.....I'm not quite sure when it comes to the Fiio range. The Head Room Total Bit-Head is another option that should suffice, its 105 usd shipped in the US I think. The E17 is a bit more.

I completely agree. E17 with the bass and treble control should be great with the Sr225i. But keep the settings close to neutral to get that smoothness in the vocals when you get the E17.

Back