Grandpapa of all showoffs!

Vandal

Skilled
Well this showoff is going to be done in 2 parts, mainly because part of the stuff will be with me tomorrow...so I can only post the stuff I have. Plus one of the items hasn't been photographed yet ;)

Stuff in pics:
1. Grado SR 225 - 180$
2. Grado 1/4 to 1/8 converter - 15$
3. AT A100ti leather earpads for my A900 - 50$

Shipping - 65 dollars (shipped from 2 different sites, first two from Headroom, third one from audiocubes)

All the stuff that arrived in the first lot of Christmas goodies.

The A100ti leather earpads intended to replace the pleather earpads on my A900s. These are a little less padded meaning I get a little less bass, but a slightly extended high-end. Grado 1/4" to 1/8" also in pic.

Here's the real deal. Some say the best sounding headphones under 250$. Expect a review soon, although my initial reaction is they blow the SR 60 and SR 80 out of the water. You'll throw these away once you listen to this, and this from someone who's sampled all three...

A900s minus the earcups.

I washed the grado foam pads by soaking them in warm, soapy water. This softens them. Took a shot of the famous (now denuded) grado transducers. N95 8 GB in pic also mine, though not a part of the showoff ;)

Expect another item to be added to this trove. Maybe even two :p

Congrats ! So now you have like the AD900, Senn HD600 and now the Grados ? You planning on selling any of the above to me ??? :eek:hyeah:

BF1983 said:
Congrats ! So now you have like the AD900, Senn HD600 and now the Grados ? You planning on selling any of the above to me ??? :eek:hyeah:

Thanks guys...
^^Nope :p
All I can say after using the SR 225 is that I wish I had tried the 325i. In fact after using these and seeing what they do to the mids and the highs; I'd never like to buy warm cans. If I had the moolah; I'd just buy the GS 1000s and forget about cans after that...Anyone who listens to metal, rock or pop - either of the SR 225 or 325i will blow you away. And mine just have some 25 hours on them; it takes a good 90 plus hrs for the bass to settle in and the highs emerge. I am so glad I didn't get the HD 650.

For me the next can would have to be the AKG K702. I'll sell off the least liked of the cans I have right now for that.

These grados rock straight out of the pod; no need of amping although it does help clear the upper end and get some more bass outta them. I'm thinking of keeping them for portable use only.

^^Detailed review when I return from leave.

Congrats :D . Though, I read somewhere that the RS2 are supposed to be the ultimate from the Grado stable.

If you have any of the high end Sennheiser models, maybe you can post your opinion of the Grados vs the Sennheisers.(I've always felt Sennheiser cans are overrated :no: ).

sydras said:
Congrats :D . Though, I read somewhere that the RS2 are supposed to be the ultimate from the Grado stable.

If you have any of the high end Sennheiser models, maybe you can post your opinion of the Grados vs the Sennheisers.(I've always felt Sennheiser cans are overrated :no: ).

Nope... RS1 and GS1000 are higher end compared to RS2. After going the whole hog with headphones, I feel that headphones are overrated :p. I got rid of all my headphone gear.

Congrats Vandal on the new stuff. So whats the source and amp?

Chaos said:
Nope... RS1 and GS1000 are higher end compared to RS2. After going the whole hog with headphones, I feel that headphones are overrated :p. I got rid of all my headphone gear.

Congrats Vandal on the new stuff. So whats the source and amp?

Chaos - agree somewhat; but I don't think you got the best of what headphones can do with your HD 650 - they're largely overrated.

Sydras - Senn totally overrated; anybody who disagrees and dispute this here; I'm so sure of it. The GS 1000 and RS 1 are grado's best. Although I feel the GS 1000 would be more suitable for me because circumaurals give your ears a little more room creating the impression of a slightly laid back presentation. I'm not talking Senn's 10th row; more like a grado with a 2nd row presentation - good for country and slow rock. But I feel the SR 225 even kicks the HD 650's arse.

I've decided to save up for the GS 1000; and stick to a combo of either Grado and AT or Grado and AKG. No more headphones then.

Regarding the source - iPod touch + Little dot micro tube for now. Else headroom micro DAC + LD MK V via toslink.

I'll use either my macbook's digital out; or an EMU 1212m.

I expect to recieve the LD MK V soon, I'll stick with the micro tube as well; its brilliant for its price and drives even the senns well.

The SR 225 has a sweet, sweet midrange; its fcukin addictive...

ab1 said:
congo , by the way wots ur source

^^Erm can you read the above post?

Or did you mean my music?
SACD, FLAC and CBR MP3's ripped at 320 KBps at very high settings.
I collect very carefully and so far have some 145 GB of music.

Why dont you upgrade your amp first ? A very good quality amp can really improve the sound since you have high bitrate music.

I have not bothered getting another amp since my music is mostly 128 kbps mp3 and it will not improve much with an amp. :'(

BF1983 said:
Why dont you upgrade your amp first ? A very good quality amp can really improve the sound since you have high bitrate music.

I have not bothered getting another amp since my music is mostly 128 kbps mp3 and it will not improve much with an amp. :'(

Worthy suggestion and one that I was already working on.
Tied between the Little Dot MK V and the MK IV SE. Basically deciding whether to try tubes first or go SS; since this amp is a hybrid one.

I may just get the Grado SR 325i and try alongside the SR 225 and then sell the one I don't like. AKG's K702 is the next can for me after that.

I plan on moving abroad and if things come through then I shall "gift" myself the Grado GS 1000; I was considering the Audio Technica W5000 as the ultimate gift too but I have good quality music.

Will stick to the HD 650, K702 and GS 1000 as my main cans; but this is all long term. I'll prolly go balanced by then; but recabling is not a job I'd like to get done while in India...

If I get another can by July; watch TE's market section for I'll surely be selling one of my current cans.

Why don't you start collecting high quality music? Its fun man; I listen to my amp+cans for just 6 hrs a week and I feel the investment is totally worth it. And I use different cans for different music.

:) Congrats Vandal...You guys make every visit to TE worthwhile (by posting such uber stuff).
I never understand all the sound related stuff but then I have tin ears :rofl:

I really like your style and the other regular showoff guys (not in the dostana sense though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

Mayyou have the uber grado's soon..

Back